Roadmap to Prometheus 1.7.2 and 1.8.0

Björn Rabenstein

Sep 12, 2017, 1:18:01 PM9/12/17
to prometheus-developers
Hi Prometheus devs,

Once https://github.com/prometheus/prometheus/pull/3138 is merged, I'd
really like to cut Prometheus 1.7.2, as the DNS SD bug is really
painful.

If there is anything you know of that needed to be cherry-picked into
the release-1.7 branch, please say so now.

We probably also want a 1.8.0 at some time in the not too far future.
I remember some requirements for it being mentioned before. Perhaps we
should gather those requirements to know when it is a good time to cut
1.8.

Cheers,
--
Björn Rabenstein, Engineer
http://soundcloud.com/brabenstein

SoundCloud Ltd. | Rheinsberger Str. 76/77, 10115 Berlin, Germany
Managing Director: Alexander Ljung | Incorporated in England & Wales
with Company No. 6343600 | Local Branch Office | AG Charlottenburg |
HRB 110657B

Brian Brazil

Sep 12, 2017, 1:57:12 PM9/12/17
to Björn Rabenstein, prometheus-developers
On 12 September 2017 at 18:17, Björn Rabenstein <bjo...@soundcloud.com> wrote:
Hi Prometheus devs,

Once https://github.com/prometheus/prometheus/pull/3138 is merged, I'd
really like to cut Prometheus 1.7.2, as the DNS SD bug is really
painful.

If there is anything you know of that needed to be cherry-picked into
the release-1.7 branch, please say so now.

We probably also want a 1.8.0 at some time in the not too far future.
I remember some requirements for it being mentioned before. Perhaps we
should gather those requirements to know when it is a good time to cut
1.8.

The remote read endpoint has to go in anyway.

Tom Wilkie

Sep 13, 2017, 3:34:47 AM9/13/17
to Brian Brazil, Björn Rabenstein, prometheus-developers
There's a fix in the remote write path I'd like to put in 1.7.2 - to stop number of shards going negative. Will make a PR today.

Thanks

Tom

Tom Wilkie

Sep 14, 2017, 3:14:09 AM9/14/17
to Brian Brazil, Björn Rabenstein, prometheus-developers
Here you go Björn: https://github.com/prometheus/prometheus/pull/3170; previous PR into master was here for reference: https://github.com/prometheus/prometheus/pull/2973.

Thanks

Tom

Björn Rabenstein

Sep 14, 2017, 7:36:08 AM9/14/17
to Tom Wilkie, Tobias Schmidt, Brian Brazil, prometheus-developers

On 14 September 2017 at 09:13, Tom Wilkie <tom.w...@gmail.com> wrote:

Here you go Björn: https://github.com/prometheus/prometheus/pull/3170; previous PR into master was here for reference: https://github.com/prometheus/prometheus/pull/2973.

Thanks. Merged!

Anything else for 1.7.2? (Currently, still waiting for Grobie to take a lost look at the DNS SD fix anyway, but once that’s in, it would be good if I could cut the release.)

I leave the call for 1.8.0 to others then.

Björn Rabenstein

Sep 14, 2017, 12:23:07 PM9/14/17
On 14 September 2017 at 13:35, Björn Rabenstein <bjo...@soundcloud.com> wrote:

> Anything else for 1.7.2? (Currently, still waiting for Grobie to take a lost
> look at the DNS SD fix anyway, but once that’s in, it would be good if I
> could cut the release.)

FTR: https://github.com/prometheus/prometheus/pull/3176 backports the
html template fix so that 1.7.2 will also build with Go1.9.

Björn Rabenstein

Sep 18, 2017, 6:14:39 AM9/18/17
to Tom Wilkie, Tobias Schmidt, Brian Brazil, prometheus-developers
Now we have even the date picker fix in.

I'll run a canary with the current state of the release-1.7 branch
today and cut the release tomorrow.

Last call for any more cherries to pick from master!

Björn Rabenstein

Sep 18, 2017, 6:23:03 AM9/18/17
On 18 September 2017 at 12:14, Björn Rabenstein <bjo...@soundcloud.com> wrote:

> Last call for any more cherries to pick from master!

There is actually a pending PR:
https://github.com/prometheus/prometheus/pull/3184

Already under review by Stuart...

Björn Rabenstein

Sep 26, 2017, 12:06:52 PM9/26/17
to Tom Wilkie, Tobias Schmidt, Brian Brazil, prometheus-developers
1.7.2 is building as we are speaking…

What's the state of the remote read that needs to go into 1.8?

Tom Wilkie

Sep 26, 2017, 12:21:51 PM9/26/17
to Björn Rabenstein, Tobias Schmidt, Brian Brazil, prometheus-developers
I've been testing release-1.7 dd381356 in our cluster, everything looking good there.

Also been testing the remote read for 1.8 PR locally, looking good so far.  Was hoping to get a bit more data in to test first, haven't had the time.  It has an LGTM, so will merge it by the end of the day either way.

Thanks

Tom

Björn Rabenstein

Sep 28, 2017, 10:24:22 AM9/28/17
On 26 September 2017 at 18:21, Tom Wilkie <tom.w...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Also been testing the remote read for 1.8 PR locally, looking good so far.
> Was hoping to get a bit more data in to test first, haven't had the time.
> It has an LGTM, so will merge it by the end of the day either way.

I assume you are talking about
https://github.com/prometheus/prometheus/pull/3023 ?

Once that is merged, is there anything else we need for 1.8?

Brian Brazil

Sep 28, 2017, 10:35:21 AM9/28/17
to Björn Rabenstein, Tom Wilkie, Tobias Schmidt, prometheus-developers
On 28 September 2017 at 15:24, Björn Rabenstein <bjo...@soundcloud.com> wrote:
On 26 September 2017 at 18:21, Tom Wilkie <tom.w...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Also been testing the remote read for 1.8 PR locally, looking good so far.
> Was hoping to get a bit more data in to test first, haven't had the time.
> It has an LGTM, so will merge it by the end of the day either way.

I assume you are talking about
https://github.com/prometheus/prometheus/pull/3023 ?

Once that is merged, is there anything else we need for 1.8?

Tom Wilkie

Sep 28, 2017, 12:20:27 PM9/28/17
to Brian Brazil, Björn Rabenstein, Tobias Schmidt, prometheus-developers
> I assume you are talking about https://github.com/prometheus/prometheus/pull/3023 ?

Yes thats right, merged now.

> Once that is merged, is there anything else we need for 1.8?

Not from me

Thanks

Tom

Johannes Ziemke

Oct 2, 2017, 11:35:30 AM10/2/17
to Björn Rabenstein, Tom Wilkie, Tobias Schmidt, Brian Brazil, prometheus-developers
1.8 will be based on current master, right?
I'd like to see the ingress discovery in 1.8 but since it's already in master that should be the case anyway, right?

Tobias Schmidt

Oct 2, 2017, 2:11:07 PM10/2/17
to Johannes Ziemke, Björn Rabenstein, Tom Wilkie, Brian Brazil, prometheus-developers
Yes, that's correct. It'll be built from master including the ingress discovery.

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 7:24 AM, Björn Rabenstein <bjo...@soundcloud.com> wrote:
On 26 September 2017 at 18:21, Tom Wilkie <tom.w...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Also been testing the remote read for 1.8 PR locally, looking good so far.
> Was hoping to get a bit more data in to test first, haven't had the time.
> It has an LGTM, so will merge it by the end of the day either way.

I assume you are talking about
https://github.com/prometheus/prometheus/pull/3023 ?

Once that is merged, is there anything else we need for 1.8?

--
Björn Rabenstein, Engineer
http://soundcloud.com/brabenstein

SoundCloud Ltd. | Rheinsberger Str. 76/77, 10115 Berlin, Germany
Managing Director: Alexander Ljung | Incorporated in England & Wales
with Company No. 6343600 | Local Branch Office | AG Charlottenburg  |
HRB 110657B

Björn Rabenstein

Oct 5, 2017, 9:03:52 AM10/5/17
to Tobias Schmidt, Johannes Ziemke, Tom Wilkie, Brian Brazil, prometheus-developers
With https://github.com/prometheus/prometheus/pull/3173 merged, the
last blocker is gone, isn't it?

If there are no objections, I'll cut the release tomorrow. (And if
somebody is keen on cutting the release instead of myself, I'd be
happy, too. Way too many things to do...)

Brian Brazil

Oct 5, 2017, 9:24:27 AM10/5/17
to Björn Rabenstein, Tobias Schmidt, Johannes Ziemke, Tom Wilkie, prometheus-developers
On 5 October 2017 at 14:03, Björn Rabenstein <bjo...@soundcloud.com> wrote:
With https://github.com/prometheus/prometheus/pull/3173 merged, the
last blocker is gone, isn't it?

I believe that's everything.

Brian

If there are no objections, I'll cut the release tomorrow. (And if
somebody is keen on cutting the release instead of myself, I'd be
happy, too. Way too many things to do...)
--
Björn Rabenstein, Engineer
http://soundcloud.com/brabenstein

SoundCloud Ltd. | Rheinsberger Str. 76/77, 10115 Berlin, Germany
Managing Director: Alexander Ljung | Incorporated in England & Wales
with Company No. 6343600 | Local Branch Office | AG Charlottenburg  |
HRB 110657B

Björn Rabenstein

Oct 6, 2017, 10:23:51 AM10/6/17
to Brian Brazil, Tobias Schmidt, Johannes Ziemke, Tom Wilkie, prometheus-developers
Currently canarying for 1.8.0, and ran into https://github.com/prometheus/prometheus/issues/3258