Maximum length of a time series in Prometheus

Abdelouahab Khelifati

Mar 27, 2023, 9:07:02 AM3/27/23
to Prometheus Developers
Hello,

Is there a hard maximum length limit of a time series in Prometheus?

Best,
Abdel

Stuart Clark

Mar 27, 2023, 9:08:31 AM3/27/23
to Abdelouahab Khelifati, Prometheus Developers
On 2023-03-27 14:07, Abdelouahab Khelifati wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there a hard maximum length limit of a time series in Prometheus?

There is probably something around 64 bit numbers, but as that is a very
large number I don't think there is anything specific limiting things
other than memory/disk.

--
Stuart Clark

Abdelouahab Khelifati

Mar 27, 2023, 9:10:48 AM3/27/23
to Prometheus Developers
I mean the maximum number of datapoints per time series, not the length of a specific value.

Thanks!
Abdel

Stuart Clark

Mar 27, 2023, 9:24:30 AM3/27/23
On 2023-03-27 14:10, Abdelouahab Khelifati wrote:
> I mean the maximum number of datapoints per time series, not the
> length of a specific value.

Sorry that is what I was meaning.

There will be loads of resource or performance limitations - such as not
being able to load the data for very long periods of time without huge
amounts of memory. However in the normal usage of scrapes around every
30 seconds there are people who have multi-year storage retentions that
work successfully (so that would be around a million datapoints per
year).

--
Stuart Clark

Ben Kochie

Mar 27, 2023, 9:38:18 AM3/27/23
to Stuart Clark, Abdelouahab Khelifati, Prometheus Developers
Prometheus timestamps are in int64 (signed) milliseconds. So the maximum number of data points per series is: 9,223,372,036,854,775,807

Ben Kochie

Mar 27, 2023, 9:39:08 AM3/27/23
to Stuart Clark, Abdelouahab Khelifati, Prometheus Developers
Although, I haven't actually checked to see if negative timestamps are supported.