Build a custom Nessie Image

Haizhou Zhao

Jan 17, 2023, 7:04:51 PM1/17/23
to projectnessie
Hello Nessie Community:

Is there any document on how to build project nessie artifacts and image from source? I'm looking to build a customized nessie image. Thank you!

Robert Stupp

Jan 18, 2023, 3:44:42 AM1/18/23
to projectnessie
Hi,

The instructions on how to build Nessie from source are available on GitHub [1]. There is currently no doc or template or so to create your own customised Nessie image in a separate project. But what you can do is to build Nessie from source, at best from a Git tag. The Nessie Quarkus image is generated in the `:nessie-quarkus` Gradle project.

Robert

On 18. Jan 2023, at 01:04, Haizhou Zhao <zhaohaiz...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Nessie Community:

Is there any document on how to build project nessie artifacts and image from source? I'm looking to build a customized nessie image. Thank you!

Haizhou Zhao

Jan 23, 2023, 4:27:58 PM1/23/23
to projectnessie
Hello Robert,

Thank you for your reply! I tried to run gradle command as suggested by the contributor guide and attempted to go through the gradle script a bit. I'm still having a hard time understanding the build system. If my read is correct, quarkus.io, the framework that Nessie server uses, provides some basic image building functionalities that project Nessie depends on. Is that the correct read? And does that mean accessing to QuarkusBuilderImage is required to build a Nessie Server image?

Also, I'm trying to get started with Nessie code base and I'm completely new to quarkus framework. So I'm having a hard time identifying the entry class for the server. Appreciate it if you or anyone can provide a code pointer to the entry class of the server.

Thanks,
-Haizhou

Dmitri Bourlatchkov

Jan 31, 2023, 10:05:42 AM1/31/23
to Haizhou Zhao, projectnessie
Hi Haizhou,

Yes, the OSS Nessie Server is built on Quarkus[1]. The entry point is inside Quarkus code. Nessie is deployed as a REST application and its code is loaded and executed to service matching HTTP requests.

Quarkus is a powerful system, but it is also not quite simple. The best way to get started there is probably to follow their examples and getting-started guides[2]. Nessie is just one of many possible Quarkus-based applications.

Cheers,
Dmitri.