How Does Athena Work With Nessie

Adam McManigal

Jul 27, 2022, 4:26:26 PM7/27/22
to projectnessie
Hi Team,

On your web page you state:
  • Open data lake approach, supporting Hive, Spark, Dremio, AWS Athena, etc.
I'm wondering how Athena can work with Nessie and I haven't been able to find any examples or other documentation. Specifically can Nessie be used as an external catalog to replace Glue or Hive Metastore?

Thanks!
Adam

Ajantha Bhat

Jul 28, 2022, 5:08:54 AM7/28/22
to Adam McManigal, projectnessie
Hi Adam,

Presto 0.274 onwards (it is an upcoming release in presto), Nessie is supported as a catalog in the presto-iceberg connector.
Use configurations mentioned in the below document.
https://github.com/prestodb/presto/blob/master/presto-docs/src/main/sphinx/connector/iceberg.rst#nessie-catalog

Once Athena's presto version is based out of 0.274 and above. With the same configuration, it should be possible to use Nessie in Athena.

Thanks,
Ajantha