Error on compiling Project Chrono

Cloned Tortle

Jan 9, 2022, 12:43:20 AM1/9/22
to ProjectChrono
Hi there, so this is the continuation of my last question(since whenever I post my message gets deleted for some reason), I used the git repository and I got some issues here are the list of things I installed prior to the issue

Eigen(Stable) - from the zip files
Irrlicht(Distro provided)

And then I proceeded to clone the git of Project Chrono(which also prompted an error saying that I don't have the authentication, then I just went to the github page of project chrono and copied the url and then everything was back on track), I then started compiling and it prompted this error

[ 66%] Linking CXX shared library ../../lib/libChronoEngine_irrlicht.so
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXxf86vm
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lglut
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lX11
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lGL
make[2]: *** [src/chrono_irrlicht/CMakeFiles/ChronoEngine_irrlicht.dir/build.make:222: lib/libChronoEngine_irrlicht.so] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:1033: src/chrono_irrlicht/CMakeFiles/ChronoEngine_irrlicht.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:140: all] Error 2

What should I do to resolve this? Thanks in advance!

JASON Z

Jan 9, 2022, 12:53:32 AM1/9/22
to ProjectChrono
Hi,

Based on the error message you are missing openGL, Xxf86vm, and X11 library. You can google 'openGL/Xxf86vm installation Linux' to find solutions.

For X11 take a look here if you are on ubuntu: https://askubuntu.com/questions/526848/cmake-cant-find-x11

If problem persists. Could you please share with us how did you compile it, what system you are on, and which chrono modules did you enable?

Jason

Cloned Tortle

Jan 9, 2022, 12:55:29 AM1/9/22
to ProjectChrono
Thanks!
I'll update this post once I stumbled upon anything wrong

Cloned Tortle

Jan 9, 2022, 5:39:05 AM1/9/22
to ProjectChrono

Hello! I am a little confused because after completing make install I can't find any programs named Project Chrono, even when I went to ~/build_chrono/bin and tried the demos, it prompted that I don't have any application to launch any of them.
What do I do next?

Radu Serban

Jan 9, 2022, 5:48:04 AM1/9/22
to cloned...@gmail.com, ProjectChrono

There is no “Project Chrono” program.  Chrono is a set of middleware libraries and as such the user must write a main program which makes calls into whatever Chrono library you need to use.  The various demos distributed with Chrono are short examples of such main programs.

Upon a successful configuration and build of Chrono, you should be able to run any of the generated demos by simply typing something like:
% ./demo_CH_buildsystem

How are you trying to run these demos?  Please provide more information about your setup (OS, etc).

--Radu

Cloned Tortle

Jan 9, 2022, 5:58:32 AM1/9/22
to ProjectChrono
I see, I was searching for a physics simulation program and saw Project Chrono thinking that it is like blender, I am sorry, that was my mistake!

I was trying to run the demos by double clicking on them.

System info:
OS: Ubuntu Studio 20.04LTS x86_64
Kernel: 5.11.0-44-lowlatency

Cloned Tortle

Jan 9, 2022, 6:01:30 AM1/9/22
to ProjectChrono
Speaking of which, I tried to type in the terminal % ./demo_CH_buildsystem and it said that bash: fg: %: no such job but when I tried drag and dropping the demo files, it did run but doesn't have any 3d rendering happening, just the raw numbers displayed in the terminal.

Is this what it should look like when it is successfully installed?

Radu Serban

Jan 9, 2022, 6:10:24 AM1/9/22
to cloned...@gmail.com, ProjectChrono

The demo I suggested does not have any visualization.  There are others that do.

There are two modules in Chrono for run-time visualization, one based on Irrlicht, the other on OpenGL (with the latter having fewer features as it is mostly used for debugging larger scale granular simulations).   To have access to those (and generate corresponding demos), you must enable the module at configuration time (and provide its dependencies, as needed).  Based on your previous messages, it looks like you did enable the Chrono::Irrlicht module.  Were you able to successfully build Chrono with that?  If so, you will also see a bunch of demos with names like “demo_IRR_***”.  Any of those will have run-time visualization.

Cloned Tortle

Jan 9, 2022, 7:40:58 AM1/9/22
to ProjectChrono
Hi there, yes I built chrono irrlicht on, and I also successfully loaded "demo_IRR_***"s with some being jittery and some being smooth.
Quick question, do I need a separate program(with GUI hopefully) to where I can model, set initial values, and set how long the simulation will run that could utilise Project Chrono libraries? Or can I do that with just barebones Chrono?

Radu Serban

Jan 9, 2022, 9:04:12 AM1/9/22
to cloned...@gmail.com, ProjectChrono

I’m not sure what you mean by “barebone Chrono”.  As I said, there is no GUI.  Chrono is a set of middleware libraries. To model and simulate anything with it, you (as the user) must write the main program (the equivalent of any of the demos we provide as illustration).

Cloned Tortle

Jan 9, 2022, 7:45:36 PM1/9/22
to ProjectChrono
I understand, thank you very much!