Looking for a working MacPherson strut example...

Marcel Offermans

Feb 22, 2023, 3:19:25 PM2/22/23
to ProjectChrono
Hello list, I have been trying to model a vehicle using a MacPherson strut front suspension, but I can't get it to work. The wheels of the car keep collapsing in strange ways. Is there anybody on this list who has a car with a working MacPherson strut suspension and willing to share it with me?

I've also tried the supplied generic/vehicle/Vehicle_MacPhersonStruts.json and even put that in the demo_VEH_SuspensionTestRig but it also does not seem to work there. I recorded a short video of that (where, for clarity, I disabled rendering the tires so you can more clearly see the spindles): https://youtu.be/OIQvEysrxeU

And just to be sure, if I use the supplied generic/vehicle/Vehicle_DoubleWishbones.json in that same setup, it does seem to work and I get this: https://youtu.be/f8EuIvd894s

Greetings, Marcel

Radu Serban

Feb 22, 2023, 5:27:15 PM2/22/23
to ProjectChrono

Hi Marcel,

As I suspected, this appears to be another instance where model parameters had unreasonable values. I pushed a couple of adjustments to inertias in the MacPherson strut suspension for the generic vehicle (both the C++ implementation and the JSON-based specification).  This suspension assembly now behaves fine (or at least, believably) in the suspension test rig.  As always, recall that parameters for some of the models we provide as examples in Chrono (and certainly those for the generic vehicle) do not correspond to real vehicles; always try to obtain more accurate data for the vehicle you are modeling.

--Radu

Marcel Offermans

Feb 23, 2023, 5:07:16 AM2/23/23
to projec...@googlegroups.com

Hello Radu,

I can confirm that this fix works, thanks a lot for your help!

Greetings, Marcel