Chrono-Bullet compatibility

Jože Novak

Mar 6, 2023, 4:15:15 AM3/6/23
to ProjectChrono
Hello!

I wish to use Project Chrono to simulate my vehicle physics. Right now, my physics model is entirely based on Bullet Physics, which means, all physics actors are created in Bullet physics scene.

I was wondering if it is possible for Chrono to be aware of my Bullet physics scene objects to collide and interact with them, since the Project Chrono is based on Bullet Physics.
My initial idea was to create a copy of my Bullet Physics scene in Chrono physics scene, but I do not like the idea of two identical scenes in memory.

I would appreciate any feedback on the issue at hand.

Thank you!

Radu Serban

Mar 6, 2023, 4:49:32 AM3/6/23
to ProjectChrono
Hi Joze,

Chrono is *not* based on Bullet.  One of the options for collision detection in Chrono uses Bullet (using an embedded, modified version of their collision detection library), but this is all we use from Bullet.

While it is possible to combine the two physics libraries into one, I think that's not worth it. That would have to run in some form of cosimulation framework and you would need to make objects from each side aware if each other by duplicating/sharing the physics environment.

I believe you have to decide which of the two packages provides more of your modeling and simulation needs and use it for everything.

Radu