Need for a @NonEmpty annotation?

Kannan Ekanath

Apr 22, 2021, 7:54:38 AM4/22/21
to Project Lombok
Hello,
I religiously use @NonNull annotations to mark parameters that should not be null. I was wondering if people have felt enough need for a semantical @NonEmpty annotation.

The main motivation being that for Strings usually @NonNull is not good enough because strings usually come from property files/configs or from external systems (json/yaml/whatever) and they often end up as blanks or "    ".

You can argue the same goes with collections usually nulls are difficult to handle and hence empty collections are passed. I believe this annotation will make sure it covers these scenarios as I am always checking them otherwise.

Thoughts?
Kannan

Constantine Plotnikov

Apr 28, 2021, 1:52:41 PM4/28/21
to project...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

From a logically formal point of view, @NonEmpty should not imply @NonNull. Non-empty nullable, means that if value is not null, its length should be more than one element. It is like a shortcut for @Size(min = 1). Most utilities and java validation still imply that non-empty is non-null, so it is a composition of of @NonNull and @Size(min=1) (https://javaee.github.io/javaee-spec/javadocs/javax/validation/constraints/NotEmpty.html). To forbid the string " " the correct annotation would be @NonBlank, that theoretically also should be orthogonal to @NonNull, but it is not (https://javaee.github.io/javaee-spec/javadocs/javax/validation/constraints/NotBlank.html).

So, NonNull, NonEmpty, and NonBlank are progressively more restrictive for strings and each level of validation makes sense.

Best Regard,
Konstantin

Kannan Ekanath

Apr 28, 2021, 1:55:11 PM4/28/21
to project...@googlegroups.com
I am happy with the interpretation of this. What is the logical next step? To file an issue in Lombok (how?)

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Project Lombok" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/project-lombok/CACFMeKRY3GutBC93sD1v1Foc7CFoiKXTqA9qivRv%2B3dPfgDQ1A%40mail.gmail.com.

Kannan Ekanath