ProB 1.10.2-final not displaying properly on macos Monterey

Jayamal Hettiarachchi

Oct 27, 2021, 2:29:01 PM10/27/21
to ProB Users
Hi everybody,
I installed ProB using brew, and it was working well until I upgraded my MacBook air M1 into the latest macOS Monterey. After the upgrade, I opened ProB by running the prob-tk command. It opened and showed some glitches in the UI, and some information was blacked out. Then I installed Activetcl 8.5. I uninstalled ProB and reinstalled it. Now no glitches, but it has an entirely blacked out UI. I have added some screenshots for your reference. ProB2 Ui is working well, but I have to stick with ProB 1.10.2-final due to academic rules. I have an upcoming assignment to complete also using ProB. Much appreciate your valuable feedback regarding this issue.

Thank you in advance,
Jayamal

Michael Leuschel

Oct 28, 2021, 3:55:24 AM10/28/21
to Jayamal Hettiarachchi, ProB Users
Hi Jayamal,

it seems that Tcl/Tk 8.5 is broken on macOS Monterey.

What you need to do:
- install Active Tcl/Tk 8.6.9; I think you probably need to create a free account to download the installer
(strangely enough Tcl/Tk 8.6.9 is not listed as being available for macOS; I have however managed to download an installer
after registration)
- download the latest nightly release of ProB (which can run with Tcl/Tk 8.6); you will need to run xattr -rc * inside ProB’s directory as nightly builds are not notarized

Comment: double-click behaviour seems to be broken on Tcl/Tk 8.6.9 for macOS. Maybe that is whey Active pulled the 8.6.9 installer from their list on the website?
I have implemented a right-click option in the Operations View so that you can execute operations at least using a pulldown menu.

Greetings,
Michael

Michael Leuschel

Oct 28, 2021, 5:46:45 AM10/28/21
to Jayamal Hettiarachchi, ProB Users
Hi Jayamal,
an alternative could be to use new ProB2-UI, which does not depend on Tcl/Tk:
https://prob.hhu.de/w/index.php?title=Download#ProB2-UI_using_Java_FX

Greetings,
Michael

Jayamal Hettiarachchi

Oct 28, 2021, 9:27:35 AM10/28/21
to ProB Users

Hi Michael,
Thank you so much for the valuable response. Would you mind providing me with the link for Active Tcl/Tk 8.6.9? I created a free user account, but that is not listed for me to download. Regarding ProB2-UI, it is working perfectly, but I can not use it since I don't have permission to use it for my assignment. Thank you again. Stay safe!

Best regards,
Jayamal

Michael Leuschel

Oct 28, 2021, 10:41:51 AM10/28/21
to Jayamal Hettiarachchi, ProB Users
Hi Jayamal,

by the way: I just managed to install Tcl/Tk 8.9.11 using homebrew.
This release seems to be working much better than the Active Tcl releases (and .e.g., double clicking works again).

However, as the location of the Tcl/Tk libraries is not standard with homebrew,
you have to define the variable SP_TCL_DSO so that SICStus Prolog / ProB can find them.
This can be done for example by adding -DSP_TCL_DSO=/usr/local/Cellar/tcl-tk/8.6.11_1/lib/libtcl8.6.dylib Homebrew
or -DSP_TCL_DSO=/opt/local/lib/libtcl.dylib for MacPorts to the command starting ProB.
You can also define and export this variable before starting ProB from the Terminal by typing this:
export SP_TCL_DSO=/usr/local/Cellar/tcl-tk/8.6.11_1/lib/libtcl8.6.dylib
You can also put the above line into the StartProB.sh script.

Greetings,
Michael

Jayamal Hettiarachchi

Oct 28, 2021, 2:09:02 PM10/28/21
to ProB Users
Hi Michael,
Thank you for your valuable support. I installed tcl-tk using homebrew. (brew install tcl-tk). It installed the tcl-tk 8.6.11_1 successfully. Then I reinstalled ProB using homebrew and changed the StartProB.sh script as per the tcl-tk path. Then I opened the ProB, but my problem is still there. Then I installed ProB and installed the latest nightly release of ProB and did the same thing for the StartProB.sh script. After that, I'm getting this error.

### Unable to start Tcl/Tk !
### Ensure that you have installed the right version of Tcl/Tk
### Consult the ProB website https://www3.hhu.de/stups/prob
### ProB version: 1.11.1-nightly
### Prolog version: SICStus 4.7.0 (x86_64-darwin-18.7.0): Wed Jul  7 17:07:32 CEST 2021
! TCL
! goal:  tcl_new/1
! Couldn't initialized Tcl

Thank you so much for helping me to resolve this issue. Stay safe!

Best regards,
Jayamal

Michael Leuschel

Oct 29, 2021, 2:15:40 AM10/29/21
to Jayamal Hettiarachchi, ProB Users
Hi Jayamal,

the message indicates that SICStus Prolog / ProB were not able to find the Tcl/Tk libraries.

- did you set the SP_TCL_DSO path correctly? Maybe double check that the path is correct and working on your system.
- Just to be sure: did you start ProB by executing StartProB.sh and did you put the export command before the last line?

What happens if start ProB from the terminal by first executing the export command and then ./prob in the terminal?
What happens when you type “wish” in the terminal? Does it start Tcl/Tk’s wish application?

I will try to add some sanity checks of the SP_TCL_DSO variable later today, so that ProB can provide
better diagnostics.

Greetings,
Michael

Michael Leuschel

Oct 29, 2021, 4:10:12 AM10/29/21
to Jayamal Hettiarachchi, ProB Users
Hi,

a new version of the nightly build should be available which checks whether SP_TCL_DSO is
set and whether it points to an existing file (in the case that Tcl/Tk cannot be started).

Greetings,
Michael

Jayamal Hettiarachchi

Oct 30, 2021, 11:48:12 AM10/30/21
to ProB Users
Hi Michael,
Thank you for supporting me in resole this problem. Active 8.6.9 solved the issue for me. Thank you again for the support.
Stay safe!

Best regards,
Jayamal