LDAP and Google-authentication in VPN with qr-code showing

Herman Cuppens

Jun 19, 2015, 8:54:08 AM6/19/15
to priva...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

we would like our users to access a VPN with 2FA: LDAP and TOTP (Google-authentication).
The VPN device will probably be a Cisco and I am only familiar myself with the cisco-vpn desktop client.

I am trying to imagine how we can present to the user a form where he/she can enter the LDAP-credentials (AD) and the qr-code for google-authenticator.
Is there somewhere a  step by step guide or demo to show how this practically gets presented to the enduser ?

Currently I have privacyIdea and Freeradius installed, but I cannot find doc that explians how the configure a Cisco-client for 2fa (challenge response mode)?

kind regards,
Herman

Cornelius Kölbel

Jun 19, 2015, 9:58:44 AM6/19/15
to Herman Cuppens, priva...@googlegroups.com
See this

For how to test your radius setup.

Kind regards
cornelius

Cornelius Kölbel
+49 151 2960 1417

NetKnights GmbH
Landgraf-Karl-Str. 19, 34131 Kassel, Germany

Amtsgericht Kassel, HRB 16405
Geschäftsführer: Cornelius Kölbel

Von: Herman Cuppens <cup...@gmail.com>
Datum: 19.06.2015 14:54 (GMT+01:00)
An: priva...@googlegroups.com
Betreff: LDAP and Google-authentication in VPN with qr-code showing

Cornelius Kölbel

Von: Cornelius Kölbel <corneliu...@netknights.it>
Datum: 19.06.2015 15:56 (GMT+01:00)
An: Herman Cuppens <cup...@gmail.com>

Hello Herman,
you only need the QR code when initializing the Google authenticator.
When it is enrolled the Google authenticator generates a one time password just by bottom press.

Then the user needs to enter <username> and <password+otp>.

I.e. the vpn client sends these credentials to the backend - usually via the radius protocol.
So you "just" need to configure radius PAP.

Kind regards
Cornelius

Herman Cuppens

Jun 22, 2015, 4:39:54 AM6/22/15
to priva...@googlegroups.com, cup...@gmail.com
Thanks for your info,

I see this note at http://privacyidea.readthedocs.org/en/latest/application_plugins/index.html#index-0,

"Note

The perl module is not thread safe, so you need to start FreeRADIUS with the -t switch.

You can test the RADIUS setup using a command like this:

"

but I am afraid I do not understand the possible impact:
does this mean we are "limited" to a single thread and
what about a clustered setup for HA for example - is this possible with  privacyIdea and tokendb, FreeRadius on 2 node cluster, using this perl_module ?

kind regards,
Herman

Cornelius Kölbel

Jun 22, 2015, 5:48:53 AM6/22/15
to priva...@googlegroups.com
Hello Herman,

thanks for the hint to get this clean.
Indeed this was a problem due to a perl module, used. (Unfortunately at
the moment I do not remember which one).

This is not valid anymore for a system running ubuntu 14.04 or systems
"with similar module versions".

I just ran a test with three parallel scripts issuing RADIUS requests
continously. I ended up with 5 requests per second on my local machine
and experienced no problems anymore.
So you may also omit the -t switch.

(I will have to adapt the documentation)

The HA setup will use a common database. Two privacyIDEA systems will
connect to the same database (or DB cluster). Each RADIUS server will
connect to a privacyIDEA server.
You RADIUS client can do a round robin on the two radius servers.

Kind regards
Cornelius
Cornelius Kölbel
corneliu...@netknights.it