worksheets

Katherine Yoshiwara

Sep 3, 2022, 11:51:13 AM9/3/22
to PreTeXt support
Where can I find information about writing a worksheet? Section 4.7.3 is blank.

Thomas Judson

Sep 3, 2022, 1:50:05 PM9/3/22
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
On Sep 3, 2022, at 10:51 AM, Katherine Yoshiwara <kyosh...@gmail.com> wrote:

Where can I find information about writing a worksheet? Section 4.7.3 is blank.

Katherine Yoshiwara

Sep 3, 2022, 7:26:51 PM9/3/22
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Tom. The sample article was minimally helpful, but I still don't see how to prescribe whitespace.  So is there a way to see the code for the sample?  Also, are you supposed to use the heading <worksheet> or <subsection> or both? And where is worksheet in the schema so I know what I can put in it? Tasks? Sidebysides?

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "PreTeXt support" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-support/317F7762-AEAA-4499-8F11-475CF9956D49%40gmail.com.

Sean Fitzpatrick

Sep 3, 2022, 7:59:39 PM9/3/22
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Others have done a much better job with this than me, but here is the source for a book of mine with worksheets:

Katherine Yoshiwara

Sep 4, 2022, 1:12:49 PM9/4/22
to PreTeXt support
Thank you, Sean.  Beautiful work.  I see that you used sage cells in your worksheets for students to work in. If I don't use sage, is there a way to leave blank space for students to write in?

Alex Jordan

Sep 4, 2022, 1:38:36 PM9/4/22
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
> is there a way to leave blank space for students to write in?

Each exercise in a worksheet can have a "workspace" attribute. This
should be measured in some absolute physical length, like "2in" or
"10cm". That is supposed to lead to workspace under the exercise whose
height is *at least* what you specified. It may actually be larger to
space out excess vertical space on a page.

Note that you may end up allocating more vertical space for workspace
than is possible on a page. So you should monitor that in output.

Last I checked, we want this same feature for a task element within an
exercise. But I believe in print, it was not working. That should be
viewed as a short term bug.

Katherine Yoshiwara

Sep 4, 2022, 2:03:53 PM9/4/22
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Alex!  (Bruce found it for me, too.) So: inside a worksheet you can put exercises, and an exercise can have a workspace.

Now can you tell me how a task is different from an exercise? Does a task just give you (a), (b), (c), etc.? And how would that be different from putting in a list?

Okay, now I will try to write worksheets with embedded instructor commentary.

Sean Fitzpatrick

Sep 4, 2022, 2:05:35 PM9/4/22
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
The blank space is controlled by the worksheet="2cm" attribute on an exercise or task.

The Sage cells are they're so that these also work as Jupyter notebooks.
The Jupyter conversion is somewhat fragile, so I've avoided certain structure that I'd otherwise use. (In particular, I can't put a Sage cell inside an exercise.)

Alex Jordan

Sep 4, 2022, 2:14:47 PM9/4/22
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
One practical difference between using tasks and using a list is that with tasks, each item may have its own hint, answer, and solution.

But at a more basic level, we came to view a simple list as something distinct from the parts of an exercise.

Alex Jordan

Sep 4, 2022, 2:19:40 PM9/4/22
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Also it's not the right comparison to think task versus exercise. There are exercises structured with tasks and exercises not structured with tasks.

exercise
    introduction?
    task
    task
    task
    conclusion?

exercise
    statement
    hint?
    answer?
    solution?

Each task can likewise be structured with tasks, or without, exactly as with "exercise" above. In case you need subtasks.

Katherine Yoshiwara

Sep 4, 2022, 2:22:55 PM9/4/22
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
So if I want an exercise to have parts, I should call the parts tasks? Or should I just use tasks instead of exercises? Can I put workspace in a task?

Is there somewhere that tells me all this so I don't have to keep bugging people?

Sean Fitzpatrick

Sep 4, 2022, 2:41:14 PM9/4/22
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
If you want an exercise with parts, you should use task.

I would just experiment with putting "workspace" in tasks to see what happens. I think I discovered by accident that if you have
<exercise workspace="3cm">
followed by several tasks, each task is allotted 3 cm of whitespace.

Note that you can build HTML, and then in the worksheet, click the A4 or US button to get a page where paper dimensions are reflected.
If you use more whitespace than fits on a page, you'll see something that looks like caution tape around the exercise.
If you don't use enough, you'll see a box with two colours (blue, and then grey, I think?) to indicate the space you have used, and the space you *should* use.

And of course you can look at the PDF output.

Katherine Yoshiwara

Sep 4, 2022, 5:14:47 PM9/4/22
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
I want my worksheet to have two or three  "activities," each of which has several parts, and some of the parts, but not all, should be sidebyside with a graph. Some of the parts should have space for students to show their work.

I have tried various terms for these elements, but none of them work. In particular, it won't put several tasks in a sidebyside, with or without <stack>.

Should I call my activity an Activity? a section? a subsection? Where does <page> go: inside or outside a subsection?

Should I just give up until someone develops worksheets a little better, with documentation?

Rob Beezer

Sep 6, 2022, 8:20:14 AM9/6/22
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Dear Kathy,

Worksheets are not documented since some aspects have not been finalized.

Never give up. You are getting some good assistance here from others who are leading the way in working out the best ways to implement this feature. Your experience can lead to suggestions that will make this feature even better for other authors and students.

Rob

>>> --
>>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-support/CAJczGcsxurqQji64bO5AMK1sbCGpt1KiRoQirExSuDXmYafM%2BA%40mail.gmail.com
>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-support/CAJczGcsxurqQji64bO5AMK1sbCGpt1KiRoQirExSuDXmYafM%2BA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>>> .
>>>
>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-support/CAH%2BNcPZxRoQ-WUrSph9h1uHC51W3VLVR7-mWdVe_96DpCvrhuQ%40mail.gmail.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-support/CAH%2BNcPZxRoQ-WUrSph9h1uHC51W3VLVR7-mWdVe_96DpCvrhuQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .

Katherine Yoshiwara

Sep 6, 2022, 10:33:11 AM9/6/22
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Rob.  Sorry to sound frustrated.  It's very hot here. I'll try not to be a pest.

kcri...@gmail.com

Jul 28, 2023, 4:37:54 PM7/28/23
to PreTeXt support

Worksheets are not documented since some aspects have not been finalized.

Never give up. You are getting some good assistance here from others who are leading the way in working out the best ways to implement this feature. Your experience can lead to suggestions that will make this feature even better for other authors and students.

Just curious as to whether any of the last year's workshops may have produced some additional samples for worksheets, or whether worksheets have been more finalized at this time.

[My particular question is whether (in a book) worksheets have an option that allows it to print as "independent" of chapters, in the sense that it wouldn't have pagination relative to a book showing, nor the running title/chapter heading.  My operating assumption is that this continues to be not finalized and so I shouldn't mess with worksheets too much at this time if I don't want to use experimental features yet, but I figured it's possible some work has been done since the last few posts on this topic.]