LaTeX \boldsymbol command no longer works in MathJax?

Sean Fitzpatrick

Feb 21, 2023, 6:54:07 PM2/21/23
to PreTeXt support
I just noticed on this page that \boldsymbol no longer works in HTML.
(I've always found that \cdot feels too small for the dot product, so I use \boldsymbol{\cdot}.)

If this is no longer supported on MathJax I'll make a change.
(Fortunately this is a macro so I only have to change one line in source.)

Rob Beezer

Feb 21, 2023, 8:06:50 PM2/21/23
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
I can't think of a change on our end.

Did you rebuild something really old? Change your docinfo?

Seems to require a package?

https://docs.mathjax.org/en/latest/input/tex/macros/index.html

On 2/21/23 15:54, Sean Fitzpatrick wrote:
> I just noticed on this page
> <https://opentext.uleth.ca/Math3410/sec-gram-schmidt.html> that \boldsymbol no
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-support/06b928e3-8a53-42c2-8a11-b6fdd830650fn%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-support/06b928e3-8a53-42c2-8a11-b6fdd830650fn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Sean Fitzpatrick

Feb 21, 2023, 8:11:07 PM2/21/23
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
This seems to be a recent change on the MathJax end. I haven't noticed any problem in the past and this has been in my book for years.

I guess I need to either figure out how to load a package in MathJax, or choose a different symbol

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "PreTeXt support" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-support/MTAwMDA0MS5iZWV6ZXI.1677028008%40quikprotect.

Rob Beezer

Feb 21, 2023, 8:35:36 PM2/21/23
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Look in the sample article to see how the "cancel" package is used.

But maybe first ask on the mathjax-users Google Group?

Sean Fitzpatrick

Feb 21, 2023, 8:54:02 PM2/21/23
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. Maybe applying bold to a math symbol is not compatible with Braille, or accessibility generally?

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-support/MTAwMDAyOS5iZWV6ZXI.1677029734%40quikprotect.

Rob Beezer

Feb 21, 2023, 9:24:02 PM2/21/23
On 2/21/23 17:53, Sean Fitzpatrick wrote:
> Thanks. Maybe applying bold to a math symbol is not compatible with Braille, or
> accessibility generally?

I'd say it should just be ignored. ;-)

Sean Fitzpatrick

Feb 24, 2023, 1:09:46 PM2/24/23
to PreTeXt support
Adding <package>boldsymbol</package> to my <latex-preamble> seems to have done the job.

Although when your book is already in your browser cache, you need to do a hard refresh AND a regular refresh before it takes effect!