Setting up for Braille

Oscar Levin

Jul 31, 2022, 4:44:31 PM7/31/22
to PreTeXt development
I have, on a branch, braille builds enabled in the CLI.  Before this is released though, we should probably have some sort of documentation for it, even if that means telling them to figure a bunch of stuff out on their own.    I would also like to test this, but my attempts to use file2brl from liblouisutdml have resulted in errors.

Here is what I have done: I grabbed the windows build for liblouisutdml, extracted and moved to my C drive, and added it to my path.  Windows recognizes the command `file2brl`, but complains that a couple of tables cannot be found.  Running the braille conversion has the following errors:

debug: locating "liblouis" in [executables] section of configuration file
debug: liblouis executable: file2brl, options:
debug: applying liblouis to C:\Users\OSCAR~1.LEV\AppData\Local\Temp\tmpu2f8z3xy\liblouis-precursor.xml with configurations C:\Users\oscar.levin\.ptx\script\braille\pretext-liblouis.cfg,C:\Users\oscar.levin\.ptx\script\braille\pretext-liblouis-emboss.cfg, creating BRF C:/Users/oscar.levin/Documents/dev/scratch/new-pretext-project/output/braille\main.brf
Cannot resolve table 'en-us-g2.ctb'
1 errors found.
en-us-g2.ctb could not be compiled
liblouisutdml.ini:34: Table 'en-us-g2.ctb' cannot be found.
liblouisutdml.ini:34: invalid literaryTextTable
Cannot resolve table 'en-us-g2.ctb'
1 errors found.
en-us-g2.ctb could not be compiled
liblouisutdml.ini:34: Table 'en-us-g2.ctb' cannot be found.
liblouisutdml.ini:34: invalid literaryTextTable
Cannot resolve table 'en-ueb-g2.ctb'
1 errors found.
C:\Users\oscar.levin\.ptx\script\braille\pretext-symbol.dis could not be compiled
Cannot open main table C:\Users\oscar.levin\.ptx\script\braille\pretext-symbol.dis
Document could not be transcribed
BRF file deposited as C:/Users/oscar.levin/Documents/dev/scratch/new-pretext-project/output/braille\main.brf

There were also some issues earlier "Something went wrong computing speech."  But note that if I just run file2brl I get the same issues with the tables not being found.

Any ideas?

Rob Beezer

Aug 3, 2022, 2:02:15 PM8/3/22
to prete...@googlegroups.com
Dear Oscar,

Just back from a couple days offline.

Thanks for taking a stab at this. Braille still needs some work, so I would not
hold up a release for this one. But I agree that it will require an
author/publisher to get a few things in place on their own.

I routinely get the following errors at the end of a run with file2brl.

----
Cannot resolve table 'nemeth.ctb'
1 errors found.
nemeth.ctb could not be compiled
liblouisutdml.ini:38: Table 'nemeth.ctb' cannot be found.
liblouisutdml.ini:38: invalid mathexprTableName
----

I don't think this table is necessary, and it seems to not be an impediment. We
are getting Nemeth braille from MathJax anyway.

If I translate Judson's book, with the index, I get no output and no error
messages explaining why. (Drop the index, and it is fine.)

Which is a long way of saying, I've not figured out how to get more
comprehensive debugging information.

"en-us-g2.ctb" is likely more critical, as "Grade 2" braille is the main code
used for all the literary text.

Ideas:

1. Compile from source? OK, maybe not a great idea (but it is what I do
routinely).

2. Perhaps it is matter of setting some environment variables? I've seen some
discussion along these lines just the past couple weeks on the liblouis list.
You could try posting there?

> There were also some issues earlier "Something went wrong computing speech."

Can you say more? That does not sound like one of our error messages, and I
can't find it in PreTeXt source anywhere.

Rob