JMM 2023 roll call

Steven Clontz

Jul 17, 2022, 4:57:25 PM7/17/22
to PreTeXt development
Hi folks,

Oscar Levin and I will be running a PEP ("minicourse") on behalf of AIM at this upcoming JMM to help folks learn about and possibly adopt PreTeXt. Info will be updated at https://stevenclontz.github.io/ptx-jmm-2023/ as January approaches.

If you're planning to be at the JMM and might be willing to help us onboard new authors (maybe TA-ing the course, or helping run office hours for folks between the two sessions), let us know by replying here. We're still in the early stages of planning but want to know who might be able to pitch in if we could use some extra hands. Thanks!

Thomas Judson

Jul 18, 2022, 8:36:46 AM7/18/22
to prete...@googlegroups.com
Be happy to help. - Tom J.

Jones, Bryan

Jul 18, 2022, 10:38:08 AM7/18/22
to prete...@googlegroups.com
Steven,

Would you be interested in setting up a CoCalc environment for participants, perhaps pre-loaded with a bunch of example articles/books, plus some pre-created blank books for them to play in? If so, I'd be happy to help.

Bryan

Bryan A. Jones, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
231 Simrall / PO Box 9571
Mississippi State University
Mississippi State, MS 39762
http://www.ece.msstate.edu/~bjones
bjones AT ece DOT msstate DOT edu
voice 662-325-3149
fax 662-325-2298

Our Master, Jesus Christ, is on his way. He'll show up right on
time, his arrival guaranteed by the Blessed and Undisputed Ruler,
High King, High God.
- 1 Tim. 6:14b-15 (The Message)

Steven Clontz

Jul 18, 2022, 10:43:01 AM7/18/22
to PreTeXt development
Our current plan is to let authors either install locally or use a provided CoCalc. We'll need to confirm decent internet access before relying too strongly on CoCalc (should be a given in 2023 but you never know). We also need to figure out whether we're going to try free CoCalc licenses, or pay for a license, or...

They can `pretext new` as many new documents as they want to play with. As we prepare our presentation we'll need to decide what examples they should have to try out. Do we *want* to tell folks how to clone Active Calculus, make changes, and deploy it?

Jones, Bryan

Jul 18, 2022, 10:52:17 AM7/18/22
to prete...@googlegroups.com
Steven,

Sounds good -- just let me know what you decide. If you want to use the CoCalc VSCode-based authoring environment I have, I'll be happy to help with that as well.

Bryan

Mitch Keller

Jul 18, 2022, 11:35:26 AM7/18/22
to prete...@googlegroups.com
I’ll be there. Probably not useful as a TA type, but could possibly set up for an office hour or something. Also, generally anchored to the MGP booth in the exhibit hall, which does make me easy to find if folks want to ask a question or something.

Mitch Keller
mi...@rellek.net

http://www.rellek.net/

kcri...@gmail.com

Jul 18, 2022, 2:38:12 PM7/18/22
to PreTeXt development
I'm scheduled to be there so depending on its timing relative to other commitments I'd be happy to be a TA for an hour or two.  If I'm welcome, given that I have not used the CLI yet!

Our current plan is to let authors either install locally or use a provided CoCalc. We'll need to confirm decent internet access before relying too strongly on CoCalc (should be a given in 2023 but you never know). We also need to figure out whether we're going to try free CoCalc licenses, or pay for a license, or...

William has usually been happy to help out along those lines for a limited time period like that - when Mitch and I ran something similar at the JMM a number of years ago, it wasn't trouble at all.   Email the CoCalc help line for questions on this, you'll get a quick response, I imagine.  More likely to be a problem is convincing the JMM gurus to allow internet in your room, you'd be amazed what conference suppliers will charge for wifi ... but I do recommend it strongly, even if you give people pre-homework.

(Also, Mitch or I could probably also send our files from those long-ago days, but probably they are a bit outdated now in various annoying details - let one of us know.)