Side-by-Side, Figures in Panels, HTML layout

Rob Beezer

Aug 9, 2022, 1:26:49 PM8/9/22
to prete...@googlegroups.com
I'm seeing some HTML layout problems with figures as panels of side-by-sides.
HTML looks OK to me, and I can't recall any recent changes which might have
impacted these. Firefox and Chrome.

First noticed in Chapter 28 of the sample article.

Fig 28.3 + Fig 28.4

Fig 28.5a + 28.5b

Fig 28.10 + Fig 28.11

Fig 28.12a + Fig 28.12b

Some other (simpler?) suspect instances:

Fig 25.7

Fig 25.26

Fig 25.51

Confirmations? Thoughts?

Rob

David Farmer

Aug 9, 2022, 4:52:34 PM8/9/22
to prete...@googlegroups.com

I will investigfate.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-dev/0cc98bfd-02da-4e0a-ec42-9de31b3f7705%40ups.edu.

David Farmer

Aug 9, 2022, 5:30:29 PM8/9/22
to prete...@googlegroups.com

Fixed.

Something called

presenter_mode.css

is being injected into the page. If has a selector

.bottom {
position: absolute;
}

which causes the problem.

So, some browser css is messing us up.

I added a more specific selector to unset position on
.pretext-content .bottom

which fixed the problem.

I do not know how to avoid similar issues arising in the future.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-dev/alpine.LRH.2.21.2208091651520.26293%40li375-150.members.linode.com.

Bradley Miller

Aug 9, 2022, 5:46:17 PM8/9/22
to prete...@googlegroups.com
presenter_mode.css is a mode in Runestone that allows an instructor to bring up a page in their browser and hide most of the text in favor of enlarging figures and other Runestone components.  It was intended as a presentation aid and works pretty well.

Perhaps this is no longer needed ?  I’ve not experimented with building a book as a slide show.  Is it even possible to convert an entire book to a slideshow?  My quick look at the documentation would make me think that converting to Reveal.js requires source that is conceived of as a talk, not as a book where you are trying to create some quick-and-dirty slides for class.

Brad

Bradley Miller, PhD
Professor Emeritus Computer Science
Luther College
Founder, Runestone Academy
Blog: A Reputable Journal

David Farmer

Aug 9, 2022, 6:03:23 PM8/9/22
to prete...@googlegroups.com

It may be that the change I made will disrupt that use case.
I don't know how to check.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-dev/47eac51f-21d2-48e5-8f5a-195caa57e072%40Spark.

Steven Clontz

Aug 9, 2022, 6:05:33 PM8/9/22
to PreTeXt development
I have a dirty book-to-slideshow transformation here: https://github.com/TeamBasedInquiryLearning/linear-algebra/blob/main/slides/extract.xsl (which produces PreTeXt slideshow XML, which can then be built to Reveal.js).

It's... not great! That book was originally a slidedeck, so everything was designed with slides in mind. Even still, some slides look better than others.

I think what you describe Runestone has is closer to what we need for "book to slideshow", and have imagined something similar to what you describe. With the React.js overhaul, maybe this can be recovered.

Rob Beezer

Aug 9, 2022, 6:49:17 PM8/9/22
to prete...@googlegroups.com
On 8/9/22 14:30, David Farmer wrote:
> Fixed.

Ooh, much better now! Thanks for sniffing that one out.