Help needed for upcoming PreTeXt-CLI 1.0.0 release!

Steven Clontz

Aug 9, 2022, 12:28:08 PM8/9/22
to PreTeXt development
Hey folks,

I know of at least one thing I need to fix, but we're aiming to release PreTeXt 1.0.0 very soon. Based on feedback, we wanted to streamline the install process by letting folks `pip install pretext` rather than `pretextbook`. Fortunately, the maintainer of the existing (but stale) `pretext` package allowed us to adopt that namespace, so we're making that transition along with the 1.0.0 release.

Long story short, please try to do this and leave feedback here:

pip uninstall pretextbook
pip install pretext==1.0.0a0
pretext --version

As always if those fail, prepend everything with `python -m` or `python3 -m` and let me know if that works instead.

I'll reply to this thread when that alpha increases from 0 (probably very soon).

Steven Clontz

Aug 9, 2022, 12:39:30 PM8/9/22
to PreTeXt development
As promised, here's a new alpha to try:

pip uninstall pretextbook
pip install pretext==1.0.0a1
pretext --version

Rob Beezer

Aug 9, 2022, 1:41:45 PM8/9/22
to prete...@googlegroups.com
1.0.0a1 succeeded in a fresh "venv" virtual environment.

1.0.1a0 failed spectacularly and I didn't have time to get all the error
messages and version info together before you made a new release. ;-)

I only checked the version number and did not try to build anything.

Rob
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-dev/4c1e2b49-3bc1-4342-835a-74ac615ae6f3n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-dev/4c1e2b49-3bc1-4342-835a-74ac615ae6f3n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Thomas Shemanske

Aug 9, 2022, 3:39:01 PM8/9/22
to PreTeXt development
Installing 1.0.0a1 went fine and I rebuilt one project without issue.

One small legacy issue that may exist for some is the following:  Before I had installed a virtual python environment (months ago), I had installed pretext both as root (to give global access to directories), and then also as an (unprivileged) user.

In particular, installing as an unprivileged user adds several directories to /home/user/.local/...    I had at some point needed to add /home/user/.local/bin to my path.

When I executed pip uninstall pretextbook (as user), it removed the binary from user/.local/bin and reinstalling does not put it back there.  It was easy enough to fix the path, but if user is not using a virtual environment and follows those instructions, pretext --version will fail with the binary not found.

As I said, pushing the use of the virtual environment will probably remove this issue for most, but on dedicated workstations, I really have no need of a virtual environment, so others may experience a hiccup.

Cheers,

Tom

William Haynes

Aug 10, 2022, 2:32:31 PM8/10/22
to PreTeXt development

I followed the directions above, and all is working fine for me, however pretext --version  reports  0.0.0

Also, a request.  Could you add hooks to run  -pre and -post processes?  In my case I need to move some external resources to the right locations before running the cli.

Will

gedeoned...@gmail.com

Aug 11, 2022, 5:59:38 AM8/11/22
to PreTeXt development
Hi. I tested the PreTeXt-CLI alpha on a machine running Windows 11 and everything works as expected (pretext --version yields the correct number). Image generation, conversions to html and latex also work.

Valerio

Steven Clontz

Aug 14, 2022, 2:01:15 PM8/14/22
to PreTeXt development
Thanks everyone.

@Will:

> Could you add hooks to run  -pre and -post processes?

Possibly - do you have an example of another Python application that does this in the way you expect? I haven't tried something like this. PRs are also welcome of course (maybe wait until 1.0 is out)

Steven Clontz

Aug 14, 2022, 2:01:37 PM8/14/22
to PreTeXt development
(The 0.0.0 is a glitch in alpha0 fixed in alpha1.)

Sean Fitzpatrick

Aug 15, 2022, 9:49:37 AM8/15/22
to prete...@googlegroups.com
Too late to the game, but everything ran cleanly with APEX.