Who is interested in possible hangout with Knight Fnd on elections News Challenge?

Steven Clift

Feb 20, 2015, 1:18:57 PM2/20/15
to poplus
I've been contacted about an opportunity for the Poplus community to
do a bit of Q and A with Knight via Hangout.

Topic: Elections News Challenge

Who is interested? Give a +1 and if we have ten folks, I'll help
schedule something or get us in the loop on such opportunities.

Steve

P.S. Note the upcoming $3M US challenge: http://bit.ly/knightelections

Steven Clift

Feb 21, 2015, 8:32:10 AM2/21/15
to poplus
If we do this, Knight would like to make sure the U.S. is awake, so 11
Eastern is 8 am on the West Coast:
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Knight+Hangout&iso=20150226T11&p1=156&ah=1

End of the work day in the UK and prime time in S. America. Midnight
in KL and Taipei. Sorry AU/NZ.

However, I need to hear from at least 8 more people that they want to
participate in this live or it will waste the foundation's time. I
know with Open Data Day you probably will not notice this until later.
So ping me when you do.

Steve
Steven Clift - Executive Director, E-Democracy

* Support E-Democracy. Pledge drive to raise $10,000 US:
http://e-democracy.org/donate?ft - Only $890 to 2015 Goal

Javier Carranza

Feb 22, 2015, 1:22:03 PM2/22/15
to pop...@googlegroups.com
Interested!

Martín Szyszlican

Feb 22, 2015, 6:09:43 PM2/22/15
to Javier Carranza, poplus
If the fund is not limited to the US, then it could be interesting.

--
Poplus.org - Get involved: http://poplus.org/get-involved
IRC: #poplus https://webchat.freenode.net

Martín Szyszlican
Desarrollo web usable y accesible

Steven Clift

Feb 22, 2015, 6:25:55 PM2/22/15
to Martín Szyszlican, Javier Carranza, poplus

Yes, the News Challenge is not specific to the U.S.. A substantial majority of winners are in the U.S., but this could be an opportunity for good idea from anywhere.

I have six expressions of interest. I need four more. Thanks.

Steve

Paul Lenz

Feb 22, 2015, 7:01:54 PM2/22/15
to Steven Clift, Martín Szyszlican, Javier Carranza, poplus
Hi there

I am up for a chat on this.  Is there a ts & cs page you could link to Steve?  I had struggled to find eligibility (and other useful details) on the main pages.

Thanks!

P.

Phil Wolff

Feb 22, 2015, 9:45:51 PM2/22/15
to Paul Lenz, Steven Clift, Martín Szyszlican, Javier Carranza, poplus

Jason Leveille

Feb 23, 2015, 8:46:02 AM2/23/15
to pop...@googlegroups.com
On Friday, February 20, 2015 at 1:18:57 PM UTC-5, Steven Clift wrote:
Who is interested? Give a +1 and if we have ten folks, I'll help
schedule something or get us in the loop on such opportunities.

+1

Steven Clift

Feb 23, 2015, 9:20:54 AM2/23/15
to Jason Leveille, poplus
See here:
https://www.newschallenge.org/

And specifically here:
https://www.newschallenge.org/challenge/elections/brief

They have never had a News Challenge that excluded ideas based on
origin that I can recall.

The questions they put out will be minimal and you typically do not
put a price on an idea unless you get to round 2. Very easy to enter
and therefore very competitive.

Steve
Steven Clift - Executive Director, E-Democracy

* Support E-Democracy. Pledge drive to raise $10,000 US:
http://e-democracy.org/donate?ft - Only $890 to 2015 Goal

> --
> Poplus.org - Get involved: http://poplus.org/get-involved
> IRC: #poplus https://webchat.freenode.net
> Docs: http://bit.ly/poplusdrive
> ---
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/poplus/7075da36-3849-464b-95c9-9b193fb8e217%40googlegroups.com.

Paul Lenz

Feb 23, 2015, 10:03:06 AM2/23/15
to Steven Clift, Jason Leveille, poplus
HI Steve

Ah - thanks - last time I had checked they hadn't answered those questions, and given the focus on US elections I wondered if they were going to be more specific this time around

Take care

P.

Steven Clift

Feb 24, 2015, 10:32:25 AM2/24/15
to Paul Lenz, Jason Leveille, poplus

The date is now **Thu Mar 5** and time - 11 Eastern US, 4 pm UK, 1 pm Buenos Aires/Santiago etc.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Hangout&iso=20150226T11&p1=156&ah=1

I will gather the +1s I received to prepare an invite. It will be a recorded Hangout that can be shared.

Stay tuned for later in the week. I am traveling.

I ask that each participant review -http://newschallenge.org

And draft at least one or two questions.

You may note the term "Americans" in the brief on the site but also responses to questions from potential international applicants at the bottom.

I've connect with Chris Barr at Knight for clarification:

* "While we are open to international entries, our main interest is in the US context."

He further noted that there are projects, "that might provide good learning opportunities and models/tools that might be replicable in the US from the field internationally."

So this suggests to me that international proposals with US connections will be stronger candidates and that probably plays to the strength of the global Poplus network and collaborative proposals.

I do want to note as the creator of the world's first election info site, the boom bust cycle of energy around single nation/place election sites is a real problem.

So I do wonder what a YourNextRep might look like if it was a tool for distributed use across multiple localities/nations/elections/languages. Then you'd go boom, boom, boom. :-)

Steve

Steven Clift

Mar 3, 2015, 4:17:07 PM3/3/15
to poplus
For everyone who would like to just **watch** the Hangout Q and A,
please RSVP here:

https://plus.google.com/events/c98nmucr8hmc7f3j7os34ekmoig

To fully RSVP so that I can invite you into the Hangout video
**stage** on Thursday at 11 am Eastern/16:00 UTC please add/confirm
your info on this Google Doc:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fwM5d_2dN_Hhc3RXhxiSj6Nf7ZAlQEY54eDJowrDXSE/edit?usp=sharing

I haven't put everyone's name on the RSVP from this thread yet based
on the nuanced U.S. impact question and week shift. I did subjectively
add some from here and a from a post I made to the CfA Brigade list.
Those who code stuff about elections that I knew about were added
along with two U.S. .org folks.

I have two slots to allocate assuming those I put on can still make it
- SO, if you really can make it, have a question for the Knight
Foundation about the challenge, are hoping to submit a News Challenge
proposal that uses Poplus components, then you get priority. :-) Not
everyone on stage will come from the Poplus community to keep it
interesting and something others will watch.

We may draw straws for the final two slots. :-)

Thanks!

Steven Clift - Executive Director, E-Democracy