plan9 port and OSX - "Allow Full Disk Access"

Steve Simon

Mar 10, 2022, 9:53:49 AM3/10/22
to plan9port-dev
Hi all,

Sorry if this is really obvious to those with more OSX knowledge,
but I cannot work out how to grant access to my plan9port tools to
some of my directories like $home/Desktop and $home/Downloads.

This is not a problem of Unix/plan9 permissions, that I understand.
The issue seems to be with the OSX Security and Priviacy feature.
I have granted Full Disk Access to Sam, B, samterm, 9term.app, and rc
but I still cannot list the files in $home/Desktop.

If its relevant I have changed my shell to /usr/local/plan9/bin/rc and start
terminals using /usr/local/plan9/mac/9term.app.

it is so frustrating when computers get in the way rather than helping you.

Thanks,

-Steve

Amman L

Nov 9, 2022, 11:26:44 AM11/9/22
to plan9port-dev
I never found a solution for this on my 2020 MBA. I also added devdraw to
the list of apps with Full Disk Access but it hasn't worked. Let me know
if you ever found a solution to this, it makes the hyperlinking in Acme
quite annoying as it doesn't work with a lot of dirs.

-Amman

Russ Cox

Nov 10, 2022, 2:31:26 PM11/10/22
to atle...@gmail.com, plan9port-dev
For me, I added 9term and bash and rc to "Full Disk Access" and that seemed to work.
Not sure what is different on your computer.
Sorry I'm not more help - I think you're at least in the right place.
I assume you checked the checkboxes next to them too?

Best,
Russ

Ethan Azariah

Nov 30, 2022, 8:10:11 AM11/30/22
to 'Shoce' via plan9port-dev
On Thu, Nov 10, 2022, at 7:31 PM, Russ Cox wrote:
> For me, I added 9term and bash and rc to "Full Disk Access" and that seemed
> to work.
> Not sure what is different on your computer.

Looking for differences between this and Steve Simon's post, I wonder if all the command-line programs inherit privileges from bash at some point, and maybe rc doesn't have the code to initialize that inheritance; to request permission or something. In that case, if whole-disk permission is granted to rc but not bash, you have a problem. It's a bit of a stretch, but easy to test.

It also got me wondering if there's an option, maybe a hidden one, to permit programs (shells) to pass on privileges to their children. To find out, if Steve Simon still has the problem, and if on his machine rc has permission but not ls, he could try `echo *` to see if rc can list files. If rc can but ls can't, you know permissions aren't being inherited.

Amman L

Dec 2, 2022, 10:11:07 PM12/2/22
to eek...@fastmail.fm, 'Shoce' via plan9port-dev
Adding bash to the suite of programs with Full Disk Access has resolved
my problem, so I imagine you're correct that programs request permissions
from it.

Thanks for the help.
> --
>
> ---
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/plan9port-dev/b9c39827-c29e-4b8d-b1dc-ca222d0d7616%40app.fastmail.com.

Steve Simon

Dec 3, 2022, 6:03:29 AM12/3/22
to plan9port-dev
Ah ha, Thats it!

Give full disk access permission to bash and rc works.
I don't understand how this works under the osx hood but the outcome is what I wanted.

I can now list the contents of my own Downloads folder in a 9term

Thanks very much.

-Steve