Is Pinboard still supported?

Dan Dascalescu

Jan 1, 2019, 10:43:28 PM1/1/19
to Pinboard
https://twitter.com/Pinboard/status/1060219571620249607 suggests that @Pinboard no longer be on Twitter, so the "How to get help" section at https://pinboard.in/faq/ is now bogus.

I've emailed Maciej several times last year, but never got a reply.

maciej

Jan 1, 2019, 11:05:06 PM1/1/19
to Pinboard
Hi Dan, everyone,

The site is up, so it's still supported! I've moved back to Pinboard work now after a two-year detour into US politics, which I hope will lead to a much less frustrating experience for my customers. It will take a little time to work through the backlog, but that is what I am doing now and into the forseeable future.

My apologies to everyone who has had a hard time getting support from me since autumn 2016.

Maciej

Dan Dascalescu

Jan 2, 2019, 1:05:23 AM1/2/19
to pinboa...@googlegroups.com
Yay, this is great news and an auspicious start of 2019 for us Pinboard fans :)

Welcome back Maciej!

Adam Gibbins

Jan 2, 2019, 3:40:15 AM1/2/19
to Pinboard

The site is up, so it's still supported!

While the face of the site is up, the internals not so much - the glaring one is the archiving which has now been broken some time now.
Additionally sporadically full outages "The service is not available. Please try again later." being a not uncommon message.

I've been paying for Pinboard for all these years in the hope the site would not randomly disappear, I am very dependant on my bookmarks.
These outages combined with the radio silence have made me fear for the future of the site - so I went seeking alternatives which I am now trialing.

How can we guarantee this scenario isn't going to reoccur in the future again, I can't be bouncing my bookmarks between sites continually, its a time consuming activity.

--
Message has been deleted

Dan Dascalescu

Apr 14, 2020, 8:42:30 PM4/14/20
to Pinboard
Sorry to bump this again :(

Is @pinboard on Twitter the right place to bring up issues? (e.g. search has been down today).

I see it's only posting personal/political stuff now? I'm confused.
Message has been deleted

Håvard Pedersen

May 31, 2020, 7:39:06 AM5/31/20
to Pinboard
It's more than just getting a reply. There is no working Safari extension, a lot of the app links are broken, the programming libraries are mostly abandoned, no visible development (changelog?)... According to the last blog post, pinboard have the lowest user count in 9 years. This service is a ghost town. And this is 1,5 year after Maciej moved his focus back to pinboard.

Dan Dascalescu

May 31, 2020, 2:53:28 PM5/31/20
to pinboa...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I tried to move to Raindrop.io. Much more responsive dev, but the bug I reported wasn't solved and it's been a month.

Chris Lott

Jun 30, 2020, 5:51:41 PM6/30/20
to Pinboard
I'm guessing based on no responses  here that Maciej is no longer supporting Pinboard. Which is a shame. It would only seem right to also stop accepting money for an abandoned product.

Matthew Johnson

Jul 1, 2020, 7:57:25 PM7/1/20
to pinboa...@googlegroups.com
He does have a blog post from 2017 where he mentions he had been busy with other things.

I'm assuming this is still true. I think he was trying to get someone elected or some government thing changed or something. :-)

Matthew Johnson

Jul 1, 2020, 8:39:26 PM7/1/20
to pinboa...@googlegroups.com
Dear Chris:

His twitter profile shows a phone number of +1 415 610 0231. If you want, call him let him know how you feel about the pinboard service.

I personally paid about $8 around 8 years ago which works out to about $1 per year or 0.273 cents a day (a penny every  four days) or about 0.195 cents per bookmark (I have about 4100 bookmarks).  I'm satisfied with the cost vs service ratio and think that is comes out a better then average value.  :->

By the way, his last post to twitter was yesterday, so I'm pretty sure he is still breathing.

  -Matt Johnson

maciej

Jul 1, 2020, 10:16:08 PM7/1/20
to Pinboard
This whole thread is kind of surreal. If Pinboard stops being supported, you'll know because it stops working. The site does not exactly run itself.

I'm the first to admit that I'm not great at replying to all email, but if you have a problem, sufficient emailing to sup...@pinboard.in will get my attention.

Sarah Mould

Jul 7, 2020, 10:59:40 PM7/7/20
to Pinboard
Well hi Maciej - I'll try again to join this group and find out what happened to my subscription (paid October 2019) and my enquiry to the support email address on 11 Oct, which was:

Hi there

I very recently found Pinboard, as a replacement to Pinterest. I have a couple of questions, so I posted to the group, but my post hasn't appeared. Are you moderating it, or has something else happened?

I wanted to know a couple of things: can I import from Pinterest, or from the Pin4Ever sqlite backup? Is there any way to save and display pics with bookmarks?

Sarah
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pinboa...@googlegroups.com.

nei...@aol.com

Jul 7, 2020, 10:59:40 PM7/7/20
to pinboa...@googlegroups.com
Can you make the Delicious bookmarks available again please- issue with the security certificate.

https://twitter.com/Pinboard/ status/1060219571620249607 suggests that @Pinboard no longer be on Twitter, so the "How to get help" section at https://pinboard.in/faq/ is now bogus.

I've emailed Maciej several times last year, but never got a reply.

Jack Park

Jul 7, 2020, 10:59:40 PM7/7/20
to pinboa...@googlegroups.com
I have just a few observations to offer.
First, plugin apps for Safari are pretty hard to create, but under the right conditions, it's possible to make a tiny javascript bookmarklet which allows any browser to call a system like pinboard.

Last, if pinboard is going the way of lost projects owing to family matters or who knows what else, it's possible to craft such a service from open source components and mount a replacement service. If pinboard allows to export your documents, perhaps those can be imported.

An issue with doing that remains one of financial sustainability of the business which takes it on. I'm happy to talk about that, but it's my hope that pinboard survives.

Cheers,
Jack

Greg Kendall

Jul 7, 2020, 10:59:40 PM7/7/20
to pinboa...@googlegroups.com
Let us know before you shut it down, if you ever do, so we can somehow export out pins !!!!   Thanks for all your efforts ... I love Pinboard so much.  If you do ever get tired of supporting it ... sell it to someone so it can keep going! - Greg

Thank you,
Greg Kendall
505-412-3843

Conrad Heiney

Jul 7, 2020, 10:59:40 PM7/7/20
to pinboa...@googlegroups.com
It's weird to say he isn't on twitter when he's been updating up until 4 hours ago.

On Tue, Jan 1, 2019 at 7:43 PM Dan Dascalescu <ddasc...@gmail.com> wrote:
https://twitter.com/Pinboard/status/1060219571620249607 suggests that @Pinboard no longer be on Twitter, so the "How to get help" section at https://pinboard.in/faq/ is now bogus.

I've emailed Maciej several times last year, but never got a reply.

maciej

Jul 7, 2020, 11:08:57 PM7/7/20
to Pinboard
Delicious will be back online later in the summer. The site was costing me a few hundred bucks a month to run due to high spam traffic (still! after all these years), and I want to slim it down before I put it back up, so that I can save that money.

Matthew Johnson

Jul 8, 2020, 6:21:19 PM7/8/20
to pinboa...@googlegroups.com

Hi  maciej: We you for your work.🙃.  I think pinboard has some really cool features, more than I use.

Matthew Johnson

Jul 8, 2020, 6:26:14 PM7/8/20
to pinboa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Greg:  Export now my friend, export now.   https://pinboard.in/export  I export as often as I think about it.   -Matt

nei...@aol.com

Jul 9, 2020, 7:07:14 AM7/9/20
to pinboa...@googlegroups.com
Thanks

Håvard Pedersen

Matthew Johnson

Jul 10, 2020, 7:44:47 PM7/10/20
to neilbar via Pinboard
AFAIK, Pinboard is a solo business, one person only. When one has a twitter account with many followers, it's sometimes best to use that one to make the biggest impact.   Starting over with zero followers is tough.,
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pinboard-dev...@googlegroups.com.

Liz

nei...@aol.com

Sep 4, 2020, 6:08:57 AM9/4/20
to pinboa...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Is there any news on the Delicious site?

Thanks,
Neil

nei...@aol.com

Dec 9, 2020, 10:51:11 AM12/9/20
to pinboa...@googlegroups.com, mcegl...@gmail.com

Can you make the Delicious site accessible please?

Dan Dascalescu

Feb 12, 2021, 7:13:16 AM2/12/21
to Pinboard
On Sunday, July 12, 2020 at 12:50:33 AM UTC-10 Liz wrote:
Despite the appearance of a "personal/political" account, whenever I have tweeted a Pinboard enquiry to the Pinboard Twitter account I have received a reply and resolution very promptly.

That hasn't been my experience, unfortunately.

Right now it's almost impossible to add searching among your pins to Firefox.

Firefox sucks at search engine management, granted that, but for Pinbpoard to add an OpenSearch XML file would be trivial. Really trivial.