object vs relational db

Raoul Duke

May 26, 2022, 1:39:30 PM5/26/22
to pi...@googlegroups.com
object graphs of references tangled makes for heck on earth for a programmer sooner or later, no?

should everything be fundamentally First Order Normal Form to keep us sane, damn the perf?

David Barbour

Jun 1, 2022, 6:01:36 PM6/1/22
to pi...@googlegroups.com
Objects are more about dynamism and late-binding than about performance.

We could favor staged metaprogramming for dynamism, and model applications as metaprograms that abstract over primitive data types and effects. This would give us performance and a simpler model to grok at the cost of runtime dynamism.

Raoul Duke

Jun 8, 2022, 2:33:17 PM6/8/22
to pi...@googlegroups.com
by perf i meant FONF could be slow because joins are heck, more than implying objs are fast (ha ha).

i think ending up with a graph is kind of deadly. we should be doing everything we can to avoid / minimize having graphs of references. and the graphs should be better wrangled through better everything: paradigms, formats, languages, tooling, ...