OS/8 Console and keyboard monitor

Andrew Herbert

Oct 12, 2022, 11:08:01 AM10/12/22
to PiDP-8
So I have found SET TTY SCOPE / NOSCOPE to switch between glass and paper terminal keyboard monitor line editing styles.

But in SET NO SCOPE mode I can't get a ^J to pass through ssh -> screen -> simh in order to redisplay an edited line.  Is there a way to do this?

And related, is there a way to tell simh (screen?) the baud rate I'd like it to use for output?  Setting throttle to get the cpu speed to 333K certainly slows things down, but I'd like to remind myself just how slow an ASR33 was at 110 baud.

--Andrew

William Cattey

Oct 13, 2022, 9:28:00 PM10/13/22
to PiDP-8
It may be that your terminal emulator is not sending ^J.  Try ^M.

Andrew Herbert

Oct 14, 2022, 10:08:36 AM10/14/22
to PiDP-8
Tried ^M.  It echoes the edited input line followed by ?  I presume OS/8 is seeing ^M as CR.

My full path is Terminal on MacOS via ssh to screen to simh on a RPi running the emulation.

My suspicion is that macOS Terminal is swallowing ^J

Clem Cole

Oct 14, 2022, 10:19:24 AM10/14/22
to Andrew Herbert, PiDP-8
What happens with iterm2

Also if you are using a USB connection try something like Serial2  (this costs money) but I have had the fewest issues with it connecting my Mac to different USB cards.
Finally if, you are using a USB card - which chipset - while I don't think this is the issue -- the CHxxx based chips often has had some issues so I personally try to avoid it - the Prolific and FTCI based ones traditionally work the best with the Mac.

Andrew Herbert

Oct 14, 2022, 2:17:26 PM10/14/22
to PiDP-8
I'm not using USB.  I'm connecting from my Mac across wifi to the RPi using ssh.

Clem Cole

Oct 14, 2022, 2:42:13 PM10/14/22
to Andrew Herbert, PiDP-8
Does iterm2 help?

Clem Cole

Oct 14, 2022, 2:45:30 PM10/14/22
to Andrew Herbert, PiDP-8
FWIW:: I usually use VNC to my PiDP's from my Mac

William Cattey

Oct 15, 2022, 1:18:48 PM10/15/22
to PiDP-8
Ok. Something is definitely not right here.
Back when I worked through all the scope/noscope ucase/lcase issues, I thought I tested everything.

But I see that linefeed isn't working as it's supposed to.

Also the experimental v3f packs and the new Combined Kit (ock) packs are also doing even more of the wrong thing:

In NOSCOPE mode they're not delimiting the output characters with backslashes to show what's wrong,
in addition to not giving back the line we should see with linefeed.

I'm not sure when I'll have time to dig in further, but its definitely wrong.

-Bill