pidp8i-2021.02.14-ils-buster-lite.img.zip and Password

mon...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2022, 6:03:19 PM4/16/22
to PiDP-8
Hello Fellow PiDP8i users,

Am sure this question was asked many times before and I did a quick search to find my answer, so sorry.

I just installed
pidp8i-2021.02.14-ils-buster-lite.img.zip

Used
raspberrypi login:  pidp8i
password: edsonDeCastrol1968

and was not able to log in.  Any help will be appreciated.

I had my pidp8 running years ago but my old brain is slipping

Thanks,
Maurice

Clem Cole

Apr 16, 2022, 7:45:29 PM4/16/22
to mon...@gmail.com, PiDP-8
I'd try the usual:  pi/pi  pi/raspberry  pidp8/pidp8  etc... if they fail, and if you don't know that password, the easiest thing to do is take the storage card to another computer that either runs Linux or knows how to mount a Linux EFS file system like the one you used to create it.   Mount it and cd to the root of the disk.  Then with an ASCII editor such as vi or EMACS load the two files:  ./etc/passwd and ./etc/shadow into the editor and remove/clear the password  field for the user in question in both.    After clearing those fields, save the files, sync the disks and unmount.  BTW if you use a winders system, just be darned careful not to put <CR><LF> line terminators in the file - which things like NOTEFILE and the MS tools will do - run them both thru dos2unix(1) if need be (Linux and macOS will be fine, but ...).

Anyway, after you have a card with nothing in the password field of those two files, put the card back into the RPI and reboot -- login in without a password, and then set a new password that you can remember at the first shell prompt.

Warren Young

Apr 19, 2022, 4:03:08 PM4/19/22
to PiDP-8
On Saturday, April 16, 2022 at 4:03:19 PM UTC-6 mon...@gmail.com wrote:
password: edsonDeCastrol1968

The default password is named after the designer of the PDP-8/I, not after a brand of motor oil.