move meeting place

Jack Pallance

Jun 4, 2017, 11:10:51 PM6/4/17
to phx...@googlegroups.com
Good evening 2600 folk.
I want to hear some opinions on moving the meets.

I dislike HSL for 2 reasons:
1) it's far out of the way
2) it's taken over presently by the young makers every first friday

I want to move us to either Lux or Grand Central Coffee in down town phoenix.

Any objections?

Regards,

--joe

Chris Kankiewicz

Jun 4, 2017, 11:25:03 PM6/4/17
to phx...@googlegroups.com
No objections, but for me HSL is less than ten minutes away. That being said, I don't mind driving if we find a good location.

However, to adhere to the 2600 way and facilitate an open discussion I'd love to hear answers to the following:
  • Where are these places located (provide Google Maps links)?
  • Is there plenty of nearby, free parking available?
  • Do we have approval from a manger/owner to meet there?
  • Is it quiet enough we can have discussions and if we end up being loud will that be a problem?
  • How well are these locations equipped to handle presentations?
  • The PHX2600 curse seems to have resulted in most (every?) coffee shop we've met at closing down. What's the likely hood of these places being around long-term?
These are all things that have gone into consideration when picking locations in the past.

Chris Kankiewicz | Full Stack PHP Developer

https://www.ChrisKankiewicz.com

Robert Jorgenson

Sean .

Jun 4, 2017, 11:54:06 PM6/4/17
to phx...@googlegroups.com
 Grand Central Coffee would be cool

Jack Pallance

Jun 11, 2017, 5:01:02 PM6/11/17
to phx...@googlegroups.com
How about Lux? It's popular, centralized, parking isn't ass.
Address: 4400 N Central Ave, Phoenix, AZ 85012

Chris Kankiewicz

Jack Pallance

Chris Kankiewicz

Nate Plamondon

Jun 12, 2017, 9:19:02 PM6/12/17
to phx...@googlegroups.com
I'm bummed that HSL isn't working out for 2600, but completely understand the reasoning.

I'll take the event off of our calendar, but want y'all to know you're welcome back anytime.

--
Nate Plamondon

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 4:58 PM, Chris Kankiewicz <ch...@chriskankiewicz.com> wrote:
[...]

Chris Kankiewicz

Jun 12, 2017, 10:15:48 PM6/12/17
to phx...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Nate. Go ahead and remove the July meeting but don't remove any others yet. Next moth is our evaluation month then we'll have another discussion to determine if we want to move things permanently.

For what it's worth if it were up to me I'd keep our meetings at HSL, I think it was truly one of the best venues for us. However, we're a community driven by the members and if the majority would like it otherwise I'm not going to complain.

Chris Kankiewicz | Full Stack PHP Developer

https://www.ChrisKankiewicz.com

Chris Kankiewicz | Full Stack PHP Developer

https://www.ChrisKankiewicz.com

Chris Kankiewicz

Jun 14, 2017, 6:36:57 PM6/14/17
to phx...@googlegroups.com
So I just received this email today:

Hello
I am reaching out to you in regards to our Client, Coder Camps, they are interested in Phx2600 and would like to sponsor you. In addition, we were wondering if you would consider hosting your events here on our campus. Our address is 8444 N 90th St #115, Scottsdale, AZ 85258. We have a fairly large campus for events and we would love to host them for you on our campus. Feel free to reach out if you have any additional questions!
Thank you

Afton Moran
Marketing Assistant
Blue Anvil

I don't think we need any sponsorship in terms of money (but hey, some pizzas might be nice) and I'm not sure what the official 2600 stance is on sponsorship (it's not really mentioned in the guidelines), but if they're willing to host us that could be nice. Also, if we don't end up sticking with Lux I'm not sure this would be any better than HSL, perhaps we could try meeting there in August. What's everyone's opinion on this matter?

marcia wilbur

Jun 14, 2017, 6:57:33 PM6/14/17
to phx...@googlegroups.com
Sponsor, huh...

Wellll, I could use some ram for my server and a new graphics card.
What about you guys?

Pizza's cool too.
hehe

Chris Kankiewicz | Full Stack PHP Developer

https://www.ChrisKankiewicz.com

Chris Kankiewicz | Full Stack PHP Developer

https://www.ChrisKankiewicz.com

Chris Kankiewicz | Full Stack PHP Developer

https://www.ChrisKankiewicz.com

--

Chris Kankiewicz | Full Stack PHP Developer

https://www.ChrisKankiewicz.com

Robert Jorgenson

Jun 14, 2017, 7:08:25 PM6/14/17
to phx...@googlegroups.com
The thing i would be most concerned about is them trying to dictate what we can and can't talk about while being affiliated with them. I remember this being a problem at UAT with possibly a different group? dc602 maybe? they were all about us meeting there at first but when people started presenting stuff they got upset. Just something to think about.

Robert Jorgenson

marcia wilbur

Jun 14, 2017, 7:16:57 PM6/14/17
to phx...@googlegroups.com
I think UAT would be a problem. I'd just be glued to the glass of that one room.... you know which one...

Yea. Sponsorship is not free.

On the other hand, I am totally down with a place that serves beverages like LUX.. it's just a little farther. However, considering it seems like an appropriate gathering hole, I could venture that direction on Fridays.

How's the parking there?

Chris Kankiewicz | Full Stack PHP Developer

https://www.ChrisKankiewicz.com

Chris Kankiewicz | Full Stack PHP Developer

https://www.ChrisKankiewicz.com

Chris Kankiewicz | Full Stack PHP Developer

https://www.ChrisKankiewicz.com

--

Chris Kankiewicz | Full Stack PHP Developer

https://www.ChrisKankiewicz.com

Eric (XlogicX) Davisson

Jun 14, 2017, 7:33:00 PM6/14/17
to phx...@googlegroups.com
Not that I'm there anymore, but sponsorship is a terrible conflict of interest, fuck that. Also, we did a venue like that in the past (UAT). Some people liked it, but I hated it, felt unnatural and I felt like we only got 'regulars' to show up most of the time.

Its a shame there are too many kids at HSL, but at the same time, guess they should get priority. Hopefully lux works out and doesn't...go out of business. But as Nate said, HSL will still be there.

Chris Kankiewicz | Full Stack PHP Developer

https://www.ChrisKankiewicz.com

Chris Kankiewicz | Full Stack PHP Developer

https://www.ChrisKankiewicz.com

Chris Kankiewicz | Full Stack PHP Developer

https://www.ChrisKankiewicz.com

--

Chris Kankiewicz | Full Stack PHP Developer

https://www.ChrisKankiewicz.com

marcia wilbur

Jun 14, 2017, 8:27:38 PM6/14/17
to phx...@googlegroups.com
Hey, I know some people mentioned in the list they wanted to meet not on First Friday - First Friday's been the official standard for 2600

but what if we had an unofficial Hacker time
some night at the Grid Games... Growlers! At least, once a month.

Then hackers (and chixors) in the East valley can connect - not like to interfere with your Phx 2600 presentations but just hang out.

aicra

Eric (XlogicX) Davisson

Jun 14, 2017, 8:34:59 PM6/14/17
to phx...@googlegroups.com
In NYC we have a private FB and also a Slack that we keep in touch with. We use Slack more for constructive stuff and FB to communicate meeting up. I see 2600 peeps several times a week because of this. Keep the meetings Friday because you have to (unless your Jewish...actually an exception made apparently), but meeting up at other times is great too in addition.

Robert Jorgenson

marcia wilbur

Robert Jorgenson

Jun 14, 2017, 9:02:00 PM6/14/17
to phx...@googlegroups.com
I think one might already exist, the phx2600 team name was taken. I was able to grab phx-2600.slack.com in case that one isn't controlled by anyone who's still here.

--
Robert Jorgenson

marcia wilbur

Jun 14, 2017, 9:25:43 PM6/14/17
to phx...@googlegroups.com
I think the gratis plan - you have to invite us. My port 25 is ad...@gnulinux.io

Robert Jorgenson

Jun 14, 2017, 9:39:35 PM6/14/17
to phx...@googlegroups.com
Yeah people need to be invited by default. I didn't want to start pouring everyone in there if there was already a phx2600 slack hanging around out there somewhere. That being said I sent an invite out to you for the one I created anyways. I emailed slack support to setup a public invite link we can share that people can join with, not sure how long that takes though, I've only ever set up invite only slacks before.

--
Robert Jorgenson

Robert Jorgenson

Jun 14, 2017, 11:48:42 PM6/14/17
to phx...@googlegroups.com

Jeff Lockerman

Jun 15, 2017, 12:46:18 AM6/15/17
to phx...@googlegroups.com

I would avoid it.

--
Robert Jorgenson

--
Robert Jorgenson

Chris Kankiewicz | Full Stack PHP Developer

https://www.ChrisKankiewicz.com

Chris Kankiewicz | Full Stack PHP Developer

https://www.ChrisKankiewicz.com

Chris Kankiewicz | Full Stack PHP Developer

https://www.ChrisKankiewicz.com

--

Chris Kankiewicz | Full Stack PHP Developer

https://www.ChrisKankiewicz.com

Jack Pallance

Jun 15, 2017, 1:40:54 AM6/15/17
to phx...@googlegroups.com
I've never seen a 2600 meet sponsored. I know other groups out there might be interested in sponsorship however.

I would avoid it.

--
Robert Jorgenson

--
Robert Jorgenson

Chris Kankiewicz | Full Stack PHP Developer

https://www.ChrisKankiewicz.com

Chris Kankiewicz | Full Stack PHP Developer

https://www.ChrisKankiewicz.com

Chris Kankiewicz | Full Stack PHP Developer

https://www.ChrisKankiewicz.com

--

Chris Kankiewicz | Full Stack PHP Developer

https://www.ChrisKankiewicz.com

marcia wilbur

Jun 15, 2017, 1:43:47 AM6/15/17
to phx...@googlegroups.com
I'mmmmm not clicking it.... Yoooouuuu go first!

bradley.will

Jun 15, 2017, 3:03:33 PM6/15/17
to PHX2600
Two cents:

- First Friday is a zoo in Central Phoenix especially cafes (go ahead and try it for July, just saying)
- 2600 says FF "except as marked" -- what if Phoenix was an exception? HSL always found Wed/Thu to be the most well-attended nights, and there are other weeks of the month.
- Centrally located and available for "rent" is CoHoots. They've got a solid event space and have held game nights, etc, in the past. Unlike HSL they are not very active at night, and unlike "sponsors" they mostly care that the place is clean and nothing bad happens.

Eric (XlogicX) Davisson

Jun 15, 2017, 3:36:04 PM6/15/17
to phx...@googlegroups.com
https://www.2600.com/meetings/guidelines.html

See rule 1 and 3. 3 is more of a spirit of the law kind of a thing, and even meeting at a place like HSL was in a grey area of that (because it requires members to sponsor the meeting).

I gotta say, EVERY time a new meeting location is discussed (which has been many times), there are always misunderstandings of the guidelines.

Meeting in a semi private place on a third Wednesday might work for everyone, but then its much less of a 2600 meeting and will likely get de-listed from the magazine. Not to say the private Wednesday meeting is a bad idea, so have that meeting in addition to the real 2600 meeting.

bradley.will

Jun 15, 2017, 4:28:48 PM6/15/17
to PHX2600
Ah, gotcha. Makes it hard to be larger than a handful of people then, since most venues are either suited for parties of 10 max, or semi-private.

I wonder if the downstairs of Mod is available? That's where we had a Cryptoparty...

Eric (XlogicX) Davisson

Jun 15, 2017, 4:32:29 PM6/15/17
to phx...@googlegroups.com
The constraints are a challenge for sure. CitiGroup over here was probably worse than any location we've done in PHX, and then they closed down for renovations a few months ago (which are supposed to last years). Our new public area a block away isn't much better. New York is a different kind of challenge for meeting places under the constraints.

On Jun 15, 2017 4:28 PM, "bradley.will" <bradle...@gmail.com> wrote:
Ah, gotcha. Makes it hard to be larger than a handful of people then, since most venues are either suited for parties of 10 max, or semi-private.

I wonder if the downstairs of Mod is available? That's where we had a Cryptoparty...

Robert Jorgenson

Jun 15, 2017, 4:34:09 PM6/15/17
to phx...@googlegroups.com
I think the general idea is to meet in a public place that already has a lot of people. In the past we've met at a mall and at Borders. Those seemed like the most 2600-like of any of our other venues based on the handful of meetings i've been to in other large cities. Unfortunately phoenix doesn't have a lot of places like that left where a large of people on computers and presenting things to a group won't stick out like a sore thumb which in the past has always resulted in us being asked to leave.

--
Robert Jorgenson

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 1:28 PM, bradley.will <bradle...@gmail.com> wrote:
Ah, gotcha. Makes it hard to be larger than a handful of people then, since most venues are either suited for parties of 10 max, or semi-private.

I wonder if the downstairs of Mod is available? That's where we had a Cryptoparty...

Chris Kankiewicz

Jun 15, 2017, 4:54:32 PM6/15/17
to PHX2600
I'm so happy we're actually having a discussion here... it's been a while.  Now, to address all the things!

  • First, I pretty much agree with what Robert and XlogicX were saying about sponsorship. It's a bit of a conflict of interest and would not work if they tried to censor us in any way.

  • Official meeting dates/times will not be changed due to the 2600 guidelines (as XlogicX mentioned).

    • As for an "unofficial Hacker time", we used to have unofficial "2550" meetings sporadically whenever someone wanted to get PHX2600 members together during non-official meeting times. This is still an option and anyone is free to plan/host a 2550 meeting wherever/whenever they want. Feel free to use this mailing list to communicate it if you want as well.

      OR

      You're always free to start a new meeting/event not under the 2600 name. I'd personally support this weather or not I was able to make it to the meetings. =D

  • Lastly, I control the "official" PHX2600 slack (phx2600.slack.com). I started to send out invitations last year during CactusCon but only a few people joined. If you'd like in on that submit your email for invitation here and ping me or email me directly with your email address.

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 1:28 PM bradley.will <bradle...@gmail.com> wrote:
Ah, gotcha. Makes it hard to be larger than a handful of people then, since most venues are either suited for parties of 10 max, or semi-private.

I wonder if the downstairs of Mod is available? That's where we had a Cryptoparty...

marcia wilbur

Jun 16, 2017, 4:42:33 AM6/16/17
to phx...@googlegroups.com
Well, those are all great points. However, I believe we are always free to start a new meeting/event under the 2600 name in the east valley if we had enough support/members attending... you know - a Phx meeting and a Mesa Meeting.

That being said, of course, we would follow the meeting guidelines for 2600.

I don't know we have enough attendance to justify that... but I mean, as far as I remember - we had 3 members in 1998... in Tempe.
I don't want to go back to that...

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 1:54 PM, Chris Kankiewicz <ch...@chriskankiewicz.com> wrote:
[...]

marcia wilbur

Jun 16, 2017, 4:52:18 AM6/16/17
to phx...@googlegroups.com
Also - just for informational purposes - there are some 2600 meetings on Thursday nights as indicated on the meeting website by the *..

John Aho

Jun 16, 2017, 8:20:15 AM6/16/17
to PHX2600
How about dying malls as a meeting place?

Fiesta Mall in Mesa on Alma and Southern is nearly empty but still open for business.

There is just one restaurant open in the food court with space and parking for hundreds if not thousands of people.

~John Aho

Chris Kankiewicz

Jun 19, 2017, 3:18:22 PM6/19/17
to phx...@googlegroups.com
Just wanted to follow up about the sponsorship stuff. I responded to the original email offering sponsorship stating that we weren't looking for sponsorship and expressed the concerns brought up in this discussion. To that I received the following reply:

My assistant Afton has reached out to you in regards to sponsoring your meetup. I know that sponsoring was off the books, but we would still like to offer you hosting a meetup here on campus. I read a couple of your threads on your discussions, and I understand your groups hesitations. I want to let you know that we have a great campus, and we give you guys free range in what to do. Last night we had a React JS meetup that was a great turnout and the co-founders loved it. If you would like to reach out to them for a nonbiased thought. We will not tell you what to do, we would just ask you to let us know your schedule for the night for us to promote you on our end.

I would be more than happy to have you tour our campus and chat a little bit more about hosting a meetup.

Thank-you

Kruzhencka Ovando

Marketing Coordinator|Blue Anvil Marketing

I'm still leaning towards "no thanks" but let me know what you guys think.

marcia wilbur

Jun 19, 2017, 4:11:09 PM6/19/17
to phx...@googlegroups.com
Not really particular but are they even open the hours you meet? Anyway, ot (ish) was someone here opening discussion with the Ubuntu loco about possible combined meetings it something? I went to the installfest and heard there may have been some discussion ....Any one clued into this discussion??????

Chris Kankiewicz | Full Stack PHP Developer

https://www.ChrisKankiewicz.com

Chris Kankiewicz

Jul 9, 2017, 11:04:48 PM7/9/17
to phx...@googlegroups.com
Hey all, now that we've had the July meeting at Lux I'd like to gather some feedback. I've put together a few surveys (couldn't make one long one without paying) to collect this information. I'd appreciate it if everyone filled out the first survey, the second one is only necessary if you attended the July meeting. Please take a moment to fill out each one.

--

Chris Kankiewicz | Full Stack PHP Developer

https://www.ChrisKankiewicz.com

Chris Kankiewicz | Passionate PHP Developer

https://www.ChrisKankiewicz.com

Chris Kankiewicz

Jul 9, 2017, 11:12:51 PM7/9/17
to phx...@googlegroups.com
Also feel free to share you opinions on Lux here.

John Aho

Jul 9, 2017, 11:37:34 PM7/9/17
to PHX2600
I think Lux is pretty cool. It's got unusual people, good stuff and central. Plus the pizza/sammich shop next door is really good.

~John

Jack Pallance

Jul 9, 2017, 11:47:33 PM7/9/17
to phx...@googlegroups.com
I saw numbers jump from 4 to 17. That's pretty good. Plus I got info on renting the projector - it's like 25 bucks for a few hours.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/phx2600/ebf98c02-77a1-4630-aa19-2c1414fc6c6d%40googlegroups.com.

Chris Kankiewicz

Jul 10, 2017, 1:53:40 AM7/10/17
to phx...@googlegroups.com

The numbers jump is good. Having to pay to rent the projector is pretty shitty.

John Aho

Jul 10, 2017, 2:01:53 AM7/10/17
to phx...@googlegroups.com
I've got a beater projector I can bring if there's someplace to project to....
~ John

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "PHX2600" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/phx2600/CA%2B73cW3DwCLnk-_MMB-T%3DJbU3v6C-skVZVq_7LUjP4S30a8wFw%40mail.gmail.com.

Chris Kankiewicz

Jul 10, 2017, 2:06:45 AM7/10/17
to phx...@googlegroups.com

Pretty sure that won't fly John, but not certain.

John Aho

Jul 10, 2017, 2:13:19 AM7/10/17
to phx...@googlegroups.com
Would an external monitor fly?

I'm sure someone has an extra 19"+ LCD/led screen that we could hook up at a table.

Or we could all kick in a bit for the projection rental?

Maybe ask for what the rate for an hour and a halh is?
~John

Jack Pallance

Chris Kankiewicz

Jul 18, 2017, 11:50:29 AM7/18/17
to phx...@googlegroups.com
It seems that I never received any notifications about responses but I just checked and there's a few. I'll go over these soon and let you guys know but

If anyone hasn't taken the surveys yet, please do so.

Here's the links again for convenience:

Chris Kankiewicz | Passionate PHP Developer

https://www.ChrisKankiewicz.com

Chris Kankiewicz | Passionate PHP Developer

https://www.ChrisKankiewicz.com

Chris Kankiewicz

Jul 21, 2017, 12:35:44 AM7/21/17
to phx...@googlegroups.com
After hundreds of man hours hours and several billion clock cycles the votes are in. We crunched the numbers and the results are... indecisive. There were four responses to both the HeatSync Labs and Lux Central feedback surveys and six to the final question of HSL vs Lux. Jumping straight into it the final tallies were three votes for Lux, two votes for HeatSync and one of no preference. However, it's worth noting that one of each of the Lux and HeatSync votes had additional notes suggesting neither were great choices and we should continue looking for a better location. For a little more insight into things here's the averages on the features / amenities of each location (1-5 scale, higher = better):

               |  HSL   |  Lux
---------------+--------+--------
Location       |  3.5   |  2.75
Parking        |  3.25  |  2.5
Presentations  |  3.5   |  2.25
Noise Level    |  3     |  2.5
Cleanliness    |  2.75  |  3.75

As you can see HeatSync came out ahead in each category except cleanliness (which makes sense when comparing a restaurant to a workshop), yet Lux still received one more vote in the end.

That brings us to the question of where should we meet next month (and into the future)? I'll repeat my preference for HeatSync Labs but maybe we shouldn't settle for either and keep looking (suggestions still welcome). I will however concede to the will of the group.

So, one last time, please voice your opinion on where we should meet for the foreseeable future. We'll be making a decision soon.

Jeff Lockerman

Jack Pallance

Jul 21, 2017, 3:33:37 AM7/21/17
to phx...@googlegroups.com
Did either you Konshu, or Phlak have any other ideas for alternative meeting locations? There's plenty around town. I want to keep it in Central Phoenix to accommodate for people in the West Valley (like one guy at the last meetup who came from Buckeye, and another 2 from Peoria). After all, it's the Phoenix 2600, not the Mesa 2600.

https://urbanbeans.com/
http://copperstarcoffee.com/
http://www.thecoronadophx.com/
http://jobotcoffee.com/

Minds Forge

Jul 21, 2017, 11:13:47 AM7/21/17
to phx...@googlegroups.com
If I were a young hacker with no responsibilities I would totally
consider something like this:
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/apa/d/live-and-work-art-studio/6216678626.html

although that link may not be the most ideal, maybe consider renting
our own space a la HSL?

"Who is going to pay?" idk, maybe someone with enough 2600 love and
$$? Collect donations? Hacker bake sales (looool)?

Just a thought for y'all.

>>> --
>>>
>>> Chris Kankiewicz | Passionate PHP Developer
>>>
>>> https://www.ChrisKankiewicz.com
>>
>> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/phx2600/CAO_U%3DCs9oP4SeokH8s4Svv6xZO0HGXNcn2U0dMocvLQE3zSPAg%40mail.gmail.com.

Chris Kankiewicz

Jul 28, 2017, 12:27:37 AM7/28/17
to phx...@googlegroups.com
So I guess next month's meeting will be at Lux. I'll send out updates in a bit.

Jack Pallance

Jul 31, 2017, 1:39:33 AM7/31/17
to phx...@googlegroups.com
Word. I was at defcon, away from all puters.