new meeting location

me

Jul 30, 2018, 9:45:43 PM7/30/18
to PHX2600
Any chance of a new coffeeshop location for these meetings? Lux has multiple employees who have fascist tattoos/wear cryptofascist band t-shirts/etc. so a new location may make more people feel welcome.

One idea for a location is The Grand, across from Public Market. It is open 24/7, has pretty fast WiFi, and has food, coffee, cocktails, indoor and outdoor seating, etc.

Enrique

Jul 30, 2018, 9:59:03 PM7/30/18
to PHX2600
What type of fascist tattoos / wear do they have? Also, what cryptofascist bands do they promote?

killr...@gmail.com

Jul 30, 2018, 10:02:30 PM7/30/18
to PHX2600
Not sure about the other stuff, but The Grand looks really nice. 24/7 too, which is just a bonus for impromptu meetups between members. Neat location as well.

me

Jul 30, 2018, 10:04:54 PM7/30/18
to PHX2600
Totenkopf tattoos. Lots of Death in June t-shirts. A few others. I haven't seen any outright swastikas yet.

Chris Kankiewicz

Jul 31, 2018, 9:58:30 AM7/31/18
to phx...@googlegroups.com
I'm open to moving the location. I don't care for Lux for many reasons.

Chris Kankiewicz • Passionate PHP Developer

https://www.ChrisKankiewicz.com

Chris Kankiewicz

Jul 31, 2018, 11:30:09 AM7/31/18
to phx...@googlegroups.com
Be sure to bring this up at the meeting on Friday (I won't be there) and request everyone in attendance voice their opinions on this thread.

Casey Dekker

Jack Pallance

Jul 31, 2018, 12:16:08 PM7/31/18
to phx...@googlegroups.com
Why move the meets? Attendance has never been better. As for "The Grand", parking is non existent.

Eric

Dan Petro

Jul 31, 2018, 12:23:43 PM7/31/18
to phx...@googlegroups.com
Lux was never a good location, in my opinion. It was hard to even have a regular conversation in there it was so loud. Presentations we're never going to happen. And the space was never good enough either, every time I went, the group had to split up since there wasn't enough room.

I think HeatSync is the best location still. We're a bunch of hackers in need of a space to meet, they're a HackerSpace. It kinda works. I started hearing that we were running out of space at HeatSync due to another group meeting at the same time, but perhaps that's changed.

Also, I have a thing I'd like to speak about next meeting. Though historically the August meeting tends to be a ghost town due to def con. So maybe September.

-Alt

On Tue, Jul 31, 2018, 9:02 AM Casey Dekker <case...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Yael Grauer

Jul 31, 2018, 12:23:54 PM7/31/18
to phx...@googlegroups.com

In addition to DIJ supporting fascist ideology and aesthetics by (for example) wearing nazi Waffen-SS uniforms on stage, and including loops from fascist marching songs in their music, Douglas Pearce has made donations to a fascist Croatian military hospital (which he said was not “purely a humanitarian gesture. It was a cultural one. A socio-Euro political one.” The band has also refused to play shows being promoted as anti-racist, and has collaborated with openly fascist artists.

I'm happy to provide links and references, and happy to also explain why Totenkopf tattoos are associated with Nazis. The 3rd SS Panzer Division "Totenkopf" was one of 38 divisions of the Waffen-SS of Nazi Germany during World War II.

As far as parking at Grand, there is parking across the street at Public Market, as well as plenty of street parking.

On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 9:16 AM, Eric <er...@ericmaxwell.com> wrote:
[...]

Jack Pallance

Jul 31, 2018, 12:35:46 PM7/31/18
to phx...@googlegroups.com
@Dan we left HSL because no one was showing up. 1-2 people each month (myself included). It was a location issue. We're the Phoenix 2600, not the mesa 2600.
As for speaking, its a matter or reserving the projector and having something to talk about. Since no one ever tells says ahead of time "I want to speak", I don't ever reserve the projector (10 dollars for an hour BTW).
If you'd like to voice your opinions, show up to the next meetup, bring a list of locations, and we'll vote on it.

On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 9:23 AM, Dan Petro <altf4w...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Casey Dekker

Jul 31, 2018, 12:37:54 PM7/31/18
to phx...@googlegroups.com
Context is important. Those images were fairly popular amongst the homosexual fetish scene of 1970s Britain, which guy Pearce was involved with. Mainly as an antiestablishment shock tool. Now it’s kind of a anvant-garde social disruption type thing much like Laibach and negative land using the same tactics. Purposely being ambiguous in their actual views as a way to stir up dialogue.

Sent from my iPhone

Yael Grauer

Jul 31, 2018, 12:49:50 PM7/31/18
to phx...@googlegroups.com
Do you mean Douglas Pearce? Care to explain why Patrick Kill disassociated himself from Pearce due to racism and intolerance? Surely he would’ve been aware of the context?

What context would explain Pearce saying that he's very comfortable with Eurocentric/Racialist fans? Dedicating a song from stage to the neo-Nazi group White Wolves? Posting a valedictory message to their Yahoogroup forum following Anders Breivik’s Utoya massacre and mainland bombing?

Casey Dekker

Jul 31, 2018, 1:00:02 PM7/31/18
to phx...@googlegroups.com
do mean douglas, trying to do too much at once and mixed names up. lol
He could be a facist for all I know, I know he doesn't claim to be one, also doesn't claim to not be one. The truth is no one should care outside his circle, same with the people that like his band. I'm not arrogant enough to assume that I know the motivations and reasonings for someone wearing a shirt of a band that uses imagary that may just be trolling or maybe somethign more nefarious. I could ask the person why they are wearing it, most likley I wouldn't care so I wouldn't ask because it doesn't affect me in anyway, I'm too bust most of the time focusing on my myself, family and friends to really concern myself with the shirt of a complete stranger. I'm all about personal freedoms, the more the better even if i disagreew ith how someone uses them. with also lends to the group deciding it's an issue and changes vebues I'm all for that too. I haven't even made it to a meeting in a few years due to schedule and rarely chime in even. This just caught my eye.

Gavin the Klondike

Jul 31, 2018, 1:20:06 PM7/31/18
to phx...@googlegroups.com
If Yael feels uncomfortable, we can't say that they don't. And they brought up an alternative, which is more than what many others do. So we should discount them.

Now Yael, if the group is not able to find a better venue, would you be OK with that?

I do really enjoy having the meetings in Lux, or at least in the Phoenix area. HSL was too much of an inconvience and why I didn't go to 2600 for a while. So Lux is my vote if we're keeping count.

I've heard presentations brought up quite a bit over the years, but have only seen a handful. And I will admit HSL was a good venue for that. But, if the debate comes down to places we can have presentations VS places where we'd have better attendance, I'd have go with attendance. Maybe we could find a way to get a room at ASU or other local school?

I won't be at the August meeting, so I thought I'd put my $.02 here.

On Jul 31, 2018, at 09:23, Yael Grauer <yael....@gmail.com> wrote:

In addition to DIJ supporting fascist ideology and aesthetics by (for example) wearing nazi Waffen-SS uniforms on stage, and including loops from fascist marching songs in their music, Douglas Pearce has made donations to a fascist Croatian military hospital (which he said was not “purely a humanitarian gesture. It was a cultural one. A socio-Euro political one.” The band has also refused to play shows being promoted as anti-racist, and has collaborated with openly fascist artists.

Yael Grauer

Jul 31, 2018, 1:20:48 PM7/31/18
to phx...@googlegroups.com
I'm not arrogant enough to assume I know the motivations of people wearing cryptofascist bands or who have Nazi tattoos. (I even wrote an article about this: http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2016/07/the_potential_consequences_of_algorithmic_tattoo_identification.html). That is why I've had multiple conversations with people at Lux sporting these shirts/tattoos, as have others, and it's also why many people are no longer comfortable going there.

People certainly have the personal freedom to get Nazi tattoos or to support cryptofascist bands like Death in June, just as I have the personal responsibility to discuss it with others and choose not to give the coffeeshop that employees these people my money.

Yael Grauer

Chris Kankiewicz

Jul 31, 2018, 1:22:58 PM7/31/18
to phx...@googlegroups.com
> we left HSL because no one was showing up.

That's just the way 2600 goes. Attendence has always varied widely from month to month and year to year.

> We're the Phoenix 2600, not the mesa 2600

Mesa is still part of the Phoenix metropolitan area. This is just semantics.

> As for speaking, its a matter or reserving the projector and having something to talk about.
> I don't ever reserve the projector (10 dollars for an hour BTW).

That's not the only issue. Lux is always noisy and the other people don't seem to enjoy our presence. I don't think they'd be happy if we asked them to be quiet so we could give a presentation. Also the fact that we have to pay for the projector makes me cry inside.

On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 9:49 AM, Yael Grauer <yael....@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Casey Dekker

Jul 31, 2018, 1:40:37 PM7/31/18
to phx...@googlegroups.com
I'm all for any choices people like I said, including moving venues. It will still a while before I make it to another meeting anyways, so I have no dog in that fight. It a just discussion about ideas, and the concepts of freedoms,  I have no ill will towards anyone who disagrees with me. Yael has just as much right to not like someone wearing the shirt as the person has the right to wear it. What is truly beautiful is niether person can force the other to remove the shirt or wear it. Both can have differing opinions and that is a good thing.

Really enjoyed that article and it was well done. I'm a person who often gets labeled as a neo nazi because of tattoos I have, on nothing more than someone heard that they mean secret nazis things. Which is hilarious given my libertarian views.

Chris Kankiewicz • Passionate PHP Developer

https://www.ChrisKankiewicz.com

Jack Pallance

Jul 31, 2018, 1:43:04 PM7/31/18
to phx...@googlegroups.com
So what do you want to do about it? Keep in mind, all I've heard so far is people complain about the meets despite never showing up themselves whilst attempting to dictate policy.

Casey Dekker

Jul 31, 2018, 1:46:59 PM7/31/18
to phx...@googlegroups.com
what do I want to do? As far as where you guys meet, has a person who rarely shows up, I don't care nor am I trying to dictate any policy. Just really having a discussion about something because it caught my attention, and I'm bored at work. Free exchange of ideas, and discussion of
topics in a constructive manner, even when people disagree is a good thing IMHO.

Eric

Jul 31, 2018, 1:48:55 PM7/31/18
to phx...@googlegroups.com
Agreed, the only thing I'd add is that people don't have the right to not be offended.

@Yael - tell us how these conversations went. Did they say "yeah, we support fascism, hence the tattoos and shirts", or what was their reaction? This part is much more substantial than judging their motives behind what they choose to adorn themselves with.

Chris Kankiewicz • Passionate PHP Developer

https://www.ChrisKankiewicz.com

cpr...@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2018, 1:49:31 PM7/31/18
to PHX2600
Personally I do not mind LUX. They've got bomb mac & cheese, a bar, and it's not like the circus it was at Heatsync labs since we had our meetings the same night as Young Makers night. I've always seen LUX as a nice place with clean bathrooms and interesting people. Not sure where you are getting the weird stuff you are mentioning. If we ran from every band we did not like's t-shirt, we might as well just stop having meetings.

Chris Kankiewicz • Passionate PHP Developer

https://www.ChrisKankiewicz.com

Dan Petro

Jul 31, 2018, 1:55:24 PM7/31/18
to phx...@googlegroups.com
Now now, complaining about the meeting space and suggesting that we move locations to "the coffee shop next door to me" is amongst 2600's oldest and most time-honored traditions. Let's not get any hard feelings over it.

Casey Dekker

Jul 31, 2018, 1:57:56 PM7/31/18
to phx...@googlegroups.com
I wasn't upset until now. I'm a week and 3 days away from weighs for my next fight and cprossu went and brought up great mac and cheese. That's just cold hearted, lol.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/phx2600/57f36af0-3f95-473f-9c1d-de939760f136%40googlegroups.com.

W B

Jul 31, 2018, 2:10:34 PM7/31/18
to phx...@googlegroups.com
FYI, a new Makerspace has opened in Phoenix proper, called Walter Hive. It's much more Burning Man than HSL (in fact partly run by HSL Burners I believe) but it's potentially a thing to keep in mind.

I think phx2600 is always going to have an issue finding good space because public spaces like cafes are generally swamped on first Fridays in Phoenix. So getting creative and finding spaces that aren't part of the First Friday scene seems ideal, though difficult. There could also (theoretically) be a standing rotation, like Lux on odd and HSL on even months, since Phoenix is so spread out.

Anyway I have no dog in the fight just wanted to let you know about Walter.

Chris Kankiewicz • Passionate PHP Developer

https://www.ChrisKankiewicz.com

Timothy Li

Jul 31, 2018, 2:10:49 PM7/31/18
to phx...@googlegroups.com
Dangit Dan. I was about to go grab my pitchfork. Oh well...

In all seriousness, the current location for the PHX2600 meetings was chosen due to the accessibility to everyone in the valley and also the amount of parking available to everyone. (IIRC, The Grand only had around a dozen parking spots, to include ADA/Handicap spots)

Most active meeting attendees agreed to the change of venue.

Beyond that, the PHX2600 group is pretty inclusive, regardless of ethnicity, labels, believes, affiliations or level of their 1337ness. Regardless of the venue (Cartels, HeatSync or Lux), never once did we turn away anyone that I can recall.

To Yael,

Much like anything else in life, sometimes, you just have to take the first step if you want to go in the pool. Some of the most amazing time ,and also food, I have ever had in my life were at places that most people would not dare venture into. Some of the most interesting discussion I have ever had was with someone who had a polar opposite believes than I do. At the end of the discussion, we became closer friends than before. Don't let fear or anything else get into the way of new things, curiosity and discovery.

-Tim

Chris Kankiewicz • Passionate PHP Developer

https://www.ChrisKankiewicz.com

Jeff Lockerman

Jul 31, 2018, 2:15:11 PM7/31/18
to phx...@googlegroups.com
Many people will be absent due to blackhat defcon however the voices can still be heard here.. and brought up in Sept.

Yael Grauer

Jul 31, 2018, 2:15:46 PM7/31/18
to phx...@googlegroups.com
Much like anything else in life, sometimes, you just have to take the first step if you want to go in the pool. Some of the ost amazing time ,and also food, I have ever had in my life were at places that most people would not dare venture into. Some of the most interesting discussion I have ever had was with someone who had a polar opposite believes than I do. At the end of the discussion, we became closer friends than before. Don't let fear or anything else get into the way of new things, curiosity and discovery.

Choosing not to give my money to fascists, after spending many many evenings at said coffeeshop, is not "letting fear get in the way of new things, curiosity and discovery." It's making an informed decision.

But I agree--sometimes you have to take the first step if you want to go in the pool. It can be amazing to have principles and act on them by, for example, deciding to frequent establishments that don't employ fascists.

cpr...@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2018, 2:43:38 PM7/31/18
to PHX2600
Seems you have already made up your mind and want to convince us all of it.
I for one do not like anyone who has brought drama into what are nice, candid, and uninterrupted meetings.
If you feel uncomfortable at the meeting location, don't come. Don't create drama either.
Most of us who attend the meetings have not experienced this toxic environment you speak of, and you seem the type who wants to not only get their 2 cents in, but prove it, force everyone to view it the way you do, and to ultimately win. This is not the spirit and curiosity I attend 2600 meetings for, and I do not welcome people who want to create factions, dismiss people, or talk behind people's backs simply because they might wear a certain band shirt, or have a tattoo. You cannot judge a book by it's cover.

If people are not in my business, leave me and my friends alone, are not actively stopping me from my freedom of speech or rights as a human, and not getting in my way, perhaps they are even being a generally good person, that's all I ask. Never had an ounce of issue with them accepting our group, or the patrons bothering us, even though we're an ethnically diverse bunch. If it had happened, we'd have moved rather quickly.

Yael Grauer

Jul 31, 2018, 2:50:03 PM7/31/18
to phx...@googlegroups.com
I expressed on Twitter that I’d love it if a different location was considered and was told to bring that concern to this list, and so that’s what I did.

Chris Kankiewicz

Gavin the Klondike

Jul 31, 2018, 5:23:06 PM7/31/18
to phx...@googlegroups.com
This is the appropriate place to bring up such concerns, and I would not call this drama.

Nate Plamondon

Jul 31, 2018, 5:40:31 PM7/31/18
to phx...@googlegroups.com
FWIW, HeatSync has relocated to a new, nearby venue with about twice the space. I can only think of a couple times where we had difficulty fitting both 2600 and Young Makers in together, and it can only be better now.

pros:
+ free projector + wifi
+ relatively quiet
+ tons of room/tables
+ across from a coffee shop

cons:
- collides with Young Makers (more space will help with this)
- collides with Motorcycles on Main (mostly parking and external noise)
- parking still isn't great (same lot, slightly further now)
- workshop area is kind of a mess from the move, still (shouldn't affect 2600)
--
Nate Plamondon

cpr...@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2018, 5:58:00 PM7/31/18
to PHX2600
Main thing is when it's with young makers, then we all have to like watch our language and be careful of both running children and have to be careful of potentially sensitive topics (such as reverse engineering malware from pr0n sites and such for an example).

marcia wilbur

Jul 31, 2018, 6:16:06 PM7/31/18
to phx...@googlegroups.com
Lux is 46 miles from me. Never been....never will attend there...

If someone starts a new club for East side... I'll attend.