move meeting place back to phoenix

Jack Pallance

Dec 15, 2016, 2:48:44 AM12/15/16
to phx...@googlegroups.com
Any objections to this?

Garrett Fogerlie

Dec 15, 2016, 2:50:21 AM12/15/16
to phx...@googlegroups.com
Works way better for me. Although it is harder to have a meeting in a crowded coffee shop.

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 12:48 AM Jack Pallance <iamth...@gmail.com> wrote:
Any objections to this?

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/phx2600/CAO_U%3DCu7qSgXvN%2Bga36gx14%2BbXPp%3D7k0RVK0B8iMN8KV5LBWag%40mail.gmail.com.

Eric (XlogicX) Davisson

Dec 15, 2016, 8:58:13 AM12/15/16
to phx...@googlegroups.com
Easier said than done, trust me. I think the biggest perk is to at least have the option to give talks, so being in a place that allows that is the challenge.

It's a thing I miss about phx2600, the citigroup center for nyc2600 is the worst venue. But tradition. Plus it's even harder to find great meeting places in Manhattan.

-X

On Dec 15, 2016 2:48 AM, "Jack Pallance" <iamth...@gmail.com> wrote:
Any objections to this?

Jeff Lockerman

Chris Kankiewicz

Dec 15, 2016, 10:27:32 AM12/15/16
to phx...@googlegroups.com
I like HeatSync Labs for a few reasons:
  • Really close for me (but that's subjective)
  • They're friendly and understanding to our group/subject matter (this has been an issue in the past)
  • Big enough space for those times the meetings are more than half a dozen people
  • Projector and speakers available for presentations
That being said, I'm okay with moving the meeting if we find the right location/place and the group is in agreement. Does anyone have any suggestions on a new location? We can always have a "test" meeting someplace to see if we like it before deciding to move permanently. Also, it would be best if someone were able to talk to the business owner(s) and get approval for us having our meetings at their place BEFORE we start showing up there.

Chris Kankiewicz | Full Stack PHP Developer

https://www.ChrisKankiewicz.com

Bradley O'Hearne

Dec 15, 2016, 10:40:18 AM12/15/16
to phx...@googlegroups.com
Not to complicate the matter, but I’ve been on the mailing list over a year wanting to come, but I just can’t attend — ever — on Friday nights. That’s a tough sell for anyone with a significant other, kids, or anything going on early on Saturday. Commutes and work weeks are long, and so weeknights are already committed and therefore possible, but Friday nights seem more commonly geared toward those who fly solo.

I don’t expect anything to be changed for me specifically, but I’d imagine this is a pretty common scenario for many, which is why I mention it. I’ve stayed on the list in hopes that at some point things evolve so that I can attend. But if Friday nights work best for the group, by all means, keep them on that day/time. My kids are nearly all teenagers now and hanging with dad isn’t all that cool anymore anyway, so perhaps I’ll be able to hook up with you guys soon.

FWIW, I’m really looking forward to *eventually* meeting you guys.

Cheers,

Brad

Chris Kankiewicz

Dec 15, 2016, 11:02:57 AM12/15/16
to phx...@googlegroups.com
The first Friday thing comes from the official 2600 meeting guidelines.

Brad O'Hearne

Dec 15, 2016, 11:33:06 AM12/15/16
to phx...@googlegroups.com
Thx, I wasn’t aware of that…well good to know — I guess I’m now uncool with both teens and 2600 vets… :-)