Boosting Visitors

AverageJoe Joe

Oct 2, 2020, 7:27:58 PM10/2/20
to PHX2600

I've found less and less people show up. How can we make more people show up? Advertising? Better presos? Trivia night?

I'm open to all suggestions.

Chris Kankiewicz

Oct 2, 2020, 9:40:51 PM10/2/20
to phx...@googlegroups.com
To be frank, this is just how 2600 has alway been. Attendance has always ebbed and flowed over time and the ongoing pandemic certainly isn't helping.

Now for my constructive thoughts:
  • Having a presentation or interesting topic announced ahead of time is always helpful.
  • Advertising (in the typical sense) probably won't be very effective. While AverageJoe might be interested in 2600 meetings your "average Joe" probably isn't.
  • In-person advertising at targeted/relevant locations and events (e.g. CactusCon, Heatsync Labs, etc.) would probably be somewhat effective
Ultimately though, people get busy and have other things to attend to (jobs, family, etc.). I also have to ask, why do you/we care if people show up? Sure it's nice to socialize but ultimately we're not a business that needs to keep getting new customers to stay afloat. As long as a few people are attending periodically PHX2600 will live on.Lastly, keep in mind 2600 is more than just the meetings. There's all the online discussions and interactions that happen in between the meetings on Slack, Discord, Twitter, this mailing list, etc.

--
Chris Kankiewicz • Passionate PHP Developer

https://www.ChrisKankiewicz.com