All messages point to OK! but the actual web page is a default error page

allen...@gmail.com

Jul 3, 2016, 4:51:20 AM7/3/16
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
I've been through every step of the deployment guide. Everything seemed to install fine; no errors.

Then I can run
$ passenger-install-apache2-module
and I get:
The Phusion Passenger Apache module is correctly installed :-)

$ passenger-config validate-install
Everything looks good. :-)

$ sudo /usr/sbin/passenger-memory-stats
30197  416.0 MB   0.9 MB   Passenger watchdog
30200  3832.6 MB  7.1 MB   Passenger core
30205  426.3 MB   0.9 MB   Passenger ust-router

There are passenger processes!

But! When I curl http://myapp.domain.com I get this:
<h1>We're sorry, but something went wrong.</h1>
And nothing else. No clues. So I tried to turn on error friendly pages, and still nothing

And here's my app.conf for Apache:

<VirtualHost *:8080>
    ServerName myapp.domain.com

    # Tell Apache and Passenger where your app's 'public' directory is
    DocumentRoot "/var/www/vhosts/domain.com/myapp.domain.com/myapp/public"

    PassengerRuby "/usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-2.3.0/wrappers/ruby"
    PassengerAppEnv "development"
    PassengerFriendlyErrorPages on

    # Relax Apache security settings
    <Directory /var/www/vhosts/domain.com/myapp.domain.com/myapp/public>
      Allow from all
      Options -MultiViews
      # Uncomment this if you're on Apache >= 2.4:
      #Require all granted
    </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

I put the port on 8080 because if I try to put it on 80 and restart Apache it complains that 80 is already in use.

What am I missing? What else can I check?

Hongli Lai

Jul 3, 2016, 5:01:47 AM7/3/16
to phusion-passenger
You should look inside the Rails log file and the Apache error log file.

Phusion B.V. | Web Application deployment, scaling, and monitoring solutions

Web: http://www.phusion.nl/
E-mail: in...@phusion.nl
Chamber of commerce no: 63501007 (The Netherlands)

allen...@gmail.com

Jul 3, 2016, 4:35:27 PM7/3/16
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
Thanks. I looked in to the logs and the error that seems to be at the root of the problem says "Your Ruby version is 1.8.7, but your Gemfile specified 2.3.0 (Bundler::RubyVersionMismatch)

But I thought that was the point of running rvm use ruby-2.3.0 which ran without a hitch :/

allen...@gmail.com

Jul 3, 2016, 5:05:01 PM7/3/16
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
I also ran these commands and got these results
$ cat .ruby-version
2.3.0

$ rvm list

rvm rubies

=* ruby-2.3.0 [ x86_64 ]

# => - current
# =* - current && default
# * - default

Daniel Knoppel

Jul 6, 2016, 6:16:22 AM7/6/16
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
Are you on the lastest Passenger version? There was an issue with PassengerRuby being ignored in the previous version (although that was for mass deployment mode)

If so, is the config you posted really the one that is used and are there no other configs that could be interfering?

- Daniel