Log-util Maintainer volunteer

Larry Garfield

May 10, 2022, 1:08:29 PM5/10/22
to PHP-FIG
Since PSR-3's type update, there has been an outstanding PR to create a log-util library to contain, mainly, the testing tools that were kicked out of the psr/log repo.

https://github.com/php-fig/log-util/pull/6

The code is basically ready, but no maintainer has been appointed. And so it sits...

If we want to get that released, there's 2 options.

1. Appoint a Maintainer for psr/log-util. Normally this would fall to Jordi by default as the PSR-3 editor, but I'm pretty confident that he has zero interest in it. If no one else is interested, I am willing to not-step-backwards. This would require a CC vote (either an Approval Vote or Decision Vote, depending on if it's contested.)

2. There's a fun loophole in the bylaws specifically for this; the CC is the de facto maintainer of everything, but delegates that to various people. Absent another maintainer, the CC collectively acts in that role. That means the CC (by which in practice I mean me, with the rest of the CC's blessing-by-silence) could go ahead and prep the library for its initial release(s).

In either case, we'd then need a CC Approval Vote for the 1.0.0 release.

Option 2 is a bit more squishy but also faster. Option 1 means at minimum 2 votes, which means at least a month before the library has a 1.0.0. Option 2 would mean minimum 2 weeks. (Both of those are "plus the time to actually do the logistics.")

Thoughts?

--
Larry Garfield
la...@garfieldtech.com

Ralf Lang

May 11, 2022, 2:58:51 AM5/11/22
to php...@googlegroups.com
Hi Garfield,

I would volunteer for log-util if you find that a useful option. I would need some guidance initially as to what is within bounds of a reasonable maint. policy and what requires wider discussion and process. Otherwise, I think option 2 is quite sane.

Ralf

Larry Garfield

May 12, 2022, 6:03:09 PM5/12/22
to PHP-FIG
Ralf and I talked off list, and he's going to take point as Maintainer for log-util.

I will call an Approval Vote early next week to confirm him. If someone wants to fight him for the job, step forward now and we'll have a Decision Vote instead.

--
Larry Garfield
la...@garfieldtech.com