[VOTE] [Bylaw Amendment] Do not require interface suffix on future PSR Interfaces

Michael Cullum

Sep 4, 2016, 12:26:50 PM9/4/16
to FIG, PHP
Hi all,

The PSR-11 Editors have requested we open this vote for them as they are unable to do so not being voting members.

Status Quo: The bylaw states that all interfaces in PSRs published by the PHP FIG must have the interface name suffix of 'Interface' e.g. `LoggerInterface`
Change: The proposed change is that we no longer require that interfaces are suffixed by 'Interface' so `ContainerInterface` would become `Container`

Arguments for/against and [two week] discussionhttp://bit.ly/interface-suffix-discussion
Pull request for bylaw changehttp://bit.ly/interface-suffix-pr

Note: This will only affect future PSR production (of PSRs in draft or not yet through an entrance vote) so will not break or change any current PSRs. It is also not a standard or recommendation for the PHP community or member projects, but an internal bylaw on how we name interfaces in our own interfaces in PSRs.

Voting will close in two weeks on the 18th September at 23:59 UTC. Voting is available to voting members and may be cast as +1 (For), -1 (Against) or 0 (Abstain).

--
Many thanks,
Michael Cullum

Chuck Burgess

Sep 4, 2016, 12:36:08 PM9/4/16
to php...@googlegroups.com

-1 from PEAR

Jordi Boggiano

Sep 4, 2016, 1:57:51 PM9/4/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
-1 for Composer - this is change for the sake of change IMO, I'd rather
people spent time on more productive discussions :)

On 04/09/2016 18:26, Michael Cullum wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The PSR-11 Editors have requested we open this vote for them as they are
> unable to do so not being voting members.
>
> *Status Quo:* The bylaw states that all interfaces in PSRs published by
> the PHP FIG must have the interface name suffix of 'Interface' e.g.
> `LoggerInterface`
> *Change:* The proposed change is that we no longer require that
> interfaces are suffixed by 'Interface' so `ContainerInterface` would
> become `Container`
>
> Arguments for/against and [two
> week] *discussion*: http://bit.ly/interface-suffix-discussion
> *Pull request for bylaw change*: http://bit.ly/interface-suffix-pr
>
> Note: This will only affect future PSR production (of PSRs in draft or
> not yet through an entrance vote) so will not break or change any
> current PSRs. It is also not a standard or recommendation for the PHP
> community or member projects, but an internal bylaw on how we name
> interfaces in our own interfaces in PSRs.
>
> Voting will close in two weeks on the 18th September at 23:59 UTC.
> Voting is available to voting members and may be cast as +1 (For), -1
> (Against) or 0 (Abstain).
>
> --
> Many thanks,
> Michael Cullum

Jordi Boggiano
@seldaek - http://seld.be

Lukas Kahwe Smith

Sep 4, 2016, 2:02:48 PM9/4/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
-1 from Jackalope

regards,
Lukas

Jeroen De Dauw

Sep 4, 2016, 7:44:43 PM9/4/16
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
+1 from SMW & Wikibase

Chris Tankersley

Sep 4, 2016, 9:39:05 PM9/4/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
-1 from Sculpin.

As others said, this is just change for change's sake.

-Chris

Chris Tankersley
http://ctankersley.com

Damian Mooyman

Sep 4, 2016, 9:48:18 PM9/4/16
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
-1 SilverStripe

Fabien Potencier

Sep 4, 2016, 11:37:49 PM9/4/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
-1 Symfony

On 9/4/16 09:26, Michael Cullum wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The PSR-11 Editors have requested we open this vote for them as they are
> unable to do so not being voting members.
>
> *Status Quo:* The bylaw states that all interfaces in PSRs published by
> the PHP FIG must have the interface name suffix of 'Interface' e.g.
> `LoggerInterface`
> *Change:* The proposed change is that we no longer require that
> interfaces are suffixed by 'Interface' so `ContainerInterface` would
> become `Container`
>
> Arguments for/against and [two
> week] *discussion*: http://bit.ly/interface-suffix-discussion
> *Pull request for bylaw change*: http://bit.ly/interface-suffix-pr
>
> Note: This will only affect future PSR production (of PSRs in draft or
> not yet through an entrance vote) so will not break or change any
> current PSRs. It is also not a standard or recommendation for the PHP
> community or member projects, but an internal bylaw on how we name
> interfaces in our own interfaces in PSRs.
>
> Voting will close in two weeks on the 18th September at 23:59 UTC.
> Voting is available to voting members and may be cast as +1 (For), -1
> (Against) or 0 (Abstain).
>
> --
> Many thanks,
> Michael Cullum

Matteo Beccati

Sep 5, 2016, 3:15:15 AM9/5/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

-1 from Revive Adserver

On 04/09/2016 18:26, Michael Cullum wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The PSR-11 Editors have requested we open this vote for them as they are
> unable to do so not being voting members.
>
> *Status Quo:* The bylaw states that all interfaces in PSRs published by
> the PHP FIG must have the interface name suffix of 'Interface' e.g.
> `LoggerInterface`
> *Change:* The proposed change is that we no longer require that
> interfaces are suffixed by 'Interface' so `ContainerInterface` would
> become `Container`
>
> Arguments for/against and [two
> week] *discussion*: http://bit.ly/interface-suffix-discussion
> *Pull request for bylaw change*: http://bit.ly/interface-suffix-pr
>
> Note: This will only affect future PSR production (of PSRs in draft or
> not yet through an entrance vote) so will not break or change any
> current PSRs. It is also not a standard or recommendation for the PHP
> community or member projects, but an internal bylaw on how we name
> interfaces in our own interfaces in PSRs.
>
> Voting will close in two weeks on the 18th September at 23:59 UTC.
> Voting is available to voting members and may be cast as +1 (For), -1
> (Against) or 0 (Abstain).
>
> --
> Many thanks,
> Michael Cullum

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/php-fig/CAAqcDMh4JSN1Opsiam8GgjXc1vsTfSuFJ7fEJvtoRoxBxRv_xQ%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/php-fig/CAAqcDMh4JSN1Opsiam8GgjXc1vsTfSuFJ7fEJvtoRoxBxRv_xQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Matteo Beccati

Development & Consulting - http://www.beccati.com/

Leo Feyer

Sep 5, 2016, 3:17:09 AM9/5/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
-1 from Contao

signature.asc

Michiel Rook

Sep 5, 2016, 3:47:33 AM9/5/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
-1 from Phing

Alexander Makarov

Sep 5, 2016, 4:00:25 AM9/5/16
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
-1 from Yii.

Jan Schneider

Sep 5, 2016, 5:04:38 AM9/5/16
to php...@googlegroups.com

-1 from Horde

Zitat von Michael Cullum <m...@michaelcullum.com>:

Jan Schneider
The Horde Project
http://www.horde.org/

Dracony

Sep 5, 2016, 9:22:57 AM9/5/16
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
+1 from PHPixie,
I've been advocating for this since forever

Paul Jones

Sep 5, 2016, 11:10:15 AM9/5/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
-1 from Aura/Solar/etc.

--

Paul M. Jones
http://paul-m-jones.com

Adam Culp

Sep 5, 2016, 4:16:35 PM9/5/16
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
-1 IBMiToolkit

Robert Deutz

Sep 6, 2016, 11:09:05 AM9/6/16
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
-1 for Joomla

Robert

Jason Coward

Sep 6, 2016, 11:50:21 AM9/6/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
-1 from Slim Framework

Regards,

Jason Coward
Slim Framework
September 4, 2016 at 10:26 AM

Marc Alexander

Sep 8, 2016, 12:44:46 PM9/8/16
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
-1 from phpBB

Ryan Thompson

Sep 9, 2016, 12:42:26 AM9/9/16
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
-1 PyroCMS

Korvin Szanto

Sep 9, 2016, 10:56:03 AM9/9/16
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
-1 concrete5

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 9:42 PM Ryan Thompson <ry...@pyrocms.com> wrote:
-1 PyroCMS

Larry Garfield

Sep 9, 2016, 10:58:50 AM9/9/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
-1

--Larry Garfield, Drupal

Andres Gutierrez

Sep 9, 2016, 9:53:06 PM9/9/16
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
-1 from Phalcon

Paul Dragoonis

Sep 11, 2016, 9:57:05 AM9/11/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
-1 from PPI Framework

André R.

Sep 12, 2016, 1:39:19 AM9/12/16
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
-1 from eZ

Bernhard Rusch

Sep 12, 2016, 6:15:47 AM9/12/16
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
-1 from Pimcore

Matthew Weier O'Phinney

Sep 12, 2016, 10:20:54 AM9/12/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
-1 from Zend Framework

(We polled our contributors some years ago; particularly amongst
non-native English speakers, coming up with reasonable names for
interfaces was often difficult, and appending an Interface suffix
simplified that for many authors.)
> email to php-fig+u...@googlegroups.com.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/php-fig/CAAqcDMh4JSN1Opsiam8GgjXc1vsTfSuFJ7fEJvtoRoxBxRv_xQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Matthew Weier O'Phinney
mweiero...@gmail.com
https://mwop.net/

Brian Retterer

Sep 19, 2016, 8:58:23 AM9/19/16
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
-1 Stormpath PHP SDK

(If you dont like interface in your project,   `use ContainerInterface as Container`)

Дмитрий Жирнов

Dec 22, 2018, 3:02:19 AM12/22/18
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
I propose to re-vote :)
Really.
Time for small applications was gone.
If you plan for your code to extensible, you must free clean names for the interfaces. Classes are just implementations, their names doesn't make sense at all. We must to work only with interfaces ONLY (every class always has his interface even it didn't defined expliciltly). Binding Interface => Implementation can be configerable in configs (DI binding etc)!

Think again please!