PSR-17 Explicit Nullable

Woody Gilk

Apr 15, 2024, 8:12:24 AMApr 15
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
As editor of PSR-17, I hereby call a vote to:
  1. Change the minimum required version of PHP to 7.1 for PSR-17.
  2. Add explicit nullable types to PSR-17 interfaces.
  3. Tag a new release v1.1.0 of psr/http-factory with changes (1) and (2).
The relevant PRs are:

Thank you,

--
Woody Gilk (he/him)
https://www.shadowhand.com

Alessandro Lai

Apr 15, 2024, 9:02:44 AMApr 15
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
To clarify, this is the same as an Errata vote: https://www.php-fig.org/bylaws/voting-protocol/#errata-vote, which follows the Approval Vote procedures of:
- only Core Committee members vote
- 50% quorum
- 2/3 majority required

Matteo Beccati

Apr 15, 2024, 9:11:00 AMApr 15
to php...@googlegroups.com
+1

thanks for the quick follow up!

Matteo Beccati
Development & Consulting - http://www.beccati.com/

Ken Guest

Apr 15, 2024, 9:19:43 AMApr 15
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
and it's a +1 from me :-)

Vincent de Lau

Apr 15, 2024, 9:28:48 AMApr 15
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
+1 from me as well.

I would not mind a small rationale in the errata why it is `?string` and not `string|null`.

Matteo Beccati

Apr 15, 2024, 9:40:38 AMApr 15
to Vincent de Lau, php...@googlegroups.com
Hi Vincent,Il 15/04/2024 15:28, Vincent de Lau ha scritto:> I would not
mind a small rationale in the errata why it is `?string` and
> not `string|null`.

That would mean raising the required version to 8.0, when union types
were introduced.

Cheers

Korvin Szanto

Apr 15, 2024, 9:41:05 AMApr 15
to php...@googlegroups.com

Woody Gilk

Apr 15, 2024, 10:00:50 AMApr 15
to php...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Apr 15, 2024 at 8:40 AM Matteo Beccati <mat...@beccati.com> wrote:
Hi Vincent,Il 15/04/2024 15:28, Vincent de Lau ha scritto:> I would not
mind a small rationale in the errata why it is `?string` and
> not `string|null`.

That would mean raising the required version to 8.0, when union types
were introduced.

Which we can do, but it would be a *major* (2.0) version change. This is an incremental step with a *minor* (1.1) version change.

--
Woody Gilk (he/him)
https://www.shadowhand.com

Cheers
--
Matteo Beccati

Development & Consulting - http://www.beccati.com/

Alessandro Chitolina

Apr 15, 2024, 10:32:55 AMApr 15

Il giorno lunedì 15 aprile 2024 alle 16:00:50 UTC+2 Woody Gilk ha scritto:
On Mon, Apr 15, 2024 at 8:40 AM Matteo Beccati <mat...@beccati.com> wrote:
Hi Vincent,Il 15/04/2024 15:28, Vincent de Lau ha scritto:> I would not
mind a small rationale in the errata why it is `?string` and
> not `string|null`.

That would mean raising the required version to 8.0, when union types
were introduced.

Which we can do, but it would be a *major* (2.0) version change. This is an incremental step with a *minor* (1.1) version change.

It would be a minor change even if bumping to PHP 8+ and switching to "string|null" union type as long as "= null" is in place.
This change would not break any existing API as the implementations with "string $x = null" are still accepted even if the interface declares it as "string|null"

Larry Garfield

Apr 15, 2024, 11:23:25 AMApr 15
to PHP-FIG
+1

(Please don't discuss in this thread, folks.)

--
Larry Garfield
la...@garfieldtech.com

On Mon, Apr 15, 2024, at 12:11 PM, Woody Gilk wrote:
> As editor of PSR-17, I hereby call a vote to:
> 1. Change the minimum required version of PHP to 7.1 for PSR-17.
> 2. Add explicit nullable types to PSR-17 interfaces.
> 3. Tag a new release v1.1.0 of psr/http-factory with changes (1) and (2).
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/php-fig/CAGOJM6JNuwYA9Twh-0FJZ7sgQ_kaLCdBUSHMTRLXgb95TSox4Q%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/php-fig/CAGOJM6JNuwYA9Twh-0FJZ7sgQ_kaLCdBUSHMTRLXgb95TSox4Q%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Chuck Burgess

Apr 15, 2024, 11:27:29 AMApr 15
to php...@googlegroups.com
+1
CRB

Jaap van Otterdijk

Apr 15, 2024, 2:34:46 PMApr 15
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
+1
Jaapio

Cees-Jan Kiewiet

Apr 26, 2024, 1:19:58 PMApr 26
to php...@googlegroups.com

Navarr Barnier

Apr 26, 2024, 2:11:37 PMApr 26
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
+1

Mark Niebergall

May 9, 2024, 8:40:45 AMMay 9
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
Voting is closed:

- Voting passed, with 10 yes votes
- Quorum of at least 50% was reached (10/12 voted or 83%)

Alessandro please re-review https://github.com/php-fig/fig-standards/pull/1321, which has your Changes Requested for a vote, which is now completed. After that we can get the PR merged.

Thank you all for voting and contributing.

Mark Niebergall

Alessandro Lai

May 10, 2024, 3:46:18 AMMay 10
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
I merged the PR, tagged the library, updated the site, and tooted/tweeted about it.