okay, I'll bite, what type of paid work is available?

Bear Giles

Oct 18, 2021, 8:55:38 PM10/18/21
to pgxn-...@googlegroups.com
I'll admit that I have some orphaned pgxn efforts... but I know it's also (past) time for me to start investigating the type of piece work that Programmers Emeritus can get when the ageism finally strikes them down in the prime of late middle age. I've been looking at devops but was just reminded that I've written both C and java extensions.

(It was years ago, long before my current job became the black hole of free time, but the basics should be the same even if I have to remember libssl has been replaced by gnutls, or is it something else now?)

So, Pavel, do you mind giving any details about the type of paid work you're seeing offered? I won't be actively looking for a while, years even, but I'm curious since it never occurred to me that there would be a viable market here.

Thanks,

Bear

Pavel Stehule

Oct 18, 2021, 11:57:36 PM10/18/21
to pgxn-...@googlegroups.com

út 19. 10. 2021 v 2:55 odesílatel Bear Giles <bgi...@coyotesong.com> napsal:
I'll admit that I have some orphaned pgxn efforts... but I know it's also (past) time for me to start investigating the type of piece work that Programmers Emeritus can get when the ageism finally strikes them down in the prime of late middle age. I've been looking at devops but was just reminded that I've written both C and java extensions.

(It was years ago, long before my current job became the black hole of free time, but the basics should be the same even if I have to remember libssl has been replaced by gnutls, or is it something else now?)

So, Pavel, do you mind giving any details about the type of paid work you're seeing offered? I won't be actively looking for a while, years even, but I'm curious since it never occurred to me that there would be a viable market here.

The last was not directly related to writing extensions, but was related to hacking Postgres. And other - Microsoft needed engineers with knowledge of pg internals.

Regards

Pavel

Thanks,

Bear

Bear Giles

Oct 19, 2021, 10:57:17 AM10/19/21
to pgxn-...@googlegroups.com
Ah, thanks. that makes a lot more sense. I'm not entirely lost - I recently did a POC of a custom implementation of an internal JSON document -> internal pg data format converter that would be used with the COPY command and that required understanding the internal representation of each data type - but that's faaaar from having any real understanding of the internals. The conversion between identical types was straightforward if you understood the PG_ macros but covering all of the implicit casts we had when we used JSON -> CSV conversion and upload that was... interesting.

A coworker suggested using the java.nio packages instead of the java.io packages I had originally used. It improved performance by nearly 4x and that was enough to drop our JSON -> pg binary converter.

For now.

I suspect we'll revisit it since the other databases we support have a mechanism to accept the records it can and produce a reject list for what's left. The COPY command is all-or-nothing. I can easily see a customer asking for the former and the obvious solution is the same logic the converter would use in order to vet the data before it's sent across the wire. I believe there's already a third party application that does this but we would need something that we can integrate into our data flow.

Bear