Intro/Newbie/ISO extension

RDM

May 11, 2021, 10:47:13 PM5/11/21
to PGXN Users
Hello All -

Have just joined, am an utter PG neophyte, and please accept pre-emptive apologies if this is not the place for an intro and a question but...

AWS touts an extension "pg_transport" which more or less does what oracle transportable tablespaces does, in spirit - fast transfer of underlying datafile between source and target. All well and good.

Except, I can't find reference to "pg_transport' anywhere on PG org, Feature matrix, anywhere...except AWS docs.

Did they actually add something to PG w/o contributing back to community? Is this a private extension?

Thank you,
ross

David E. Wheeler

May 15, 2021, 10:34:02 AM5/15/21
to pgxn-...@googlegroups.com
On May 11, 2021, at 22:47, RDM <ross....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Except, I can't find reference to "pg_transport' anywhere on PG org, Feature matrix, anywhere...except AWS docs.
>
> Did they actually add something to PG w/o contributing back to community? Is this a private extension?

Sure sounds like it. Wouldn’t surprise me.

Best,

David

signature.asc

RDM

May 15, 2021, 9:16:23 PM5/15/21
to pgxn-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, we eventually looped around and figured that was exactly the case…

 There was a further suggestion made that somebody should request Amazon to open source it in their forums

I said I would consider it if I had an actual customer use case in hand… IE something more than curiosity