Practice Meeting, 9/9/19

1 view

Lyle Kopnicky

Aug 30, 2019, 9:48:50 AM8/30/19
to pdxfunc
When: Monday, Sept 9th, 6:30-8:30pm

Where: Collective Agency Downtown, Suite 1108, 511 SW 10th Ave, Portland, OR (opposite side of the floor from the elevators)

To further study Software Transactional Memory, we'll try Michael Snoyman's exercises here: https://github.com/snoyberg/why-you-should-use-stm. Please try them beforehand - they we'll go over them in the meeting. At the meeting anyone will be able to present and contribute to the discussion.

Hope to see you then!

Lyle Kopnicky

Sep 23, 2019, 10:37:42 AM9/23/19
to pdxfunc
We went over Michael Snoyman's exercises. It was nice to have the solutions almost completed, with just small changes to make to fix them. Mostly they were enlightening and not too difficult.

The long-polling web server was a bigger example that was interesting to investigate. We weren't sure what the register-delay exercise was going for, and had to look at the solution to find out. It seemed like a clever but not very practical way of implementing threadDelay.

See you on Sept. 23rd!

- Lyle