March MONTHLY AVTT MEETING - Email based

Chris Alemany

Mar 17, 2020, 5:19:12 PM3/17/20
to AVTT List
Hello All!

In light of COVID-19 we’re going to have an “email based” meeting as it seems to be the most accessible, open and simple way for us to still get information out to the membership.  In future we might look at something like Skype or Zoom but we need a little more lead time to do that I think.

How will this work?

• Read the Agenda and Minutes package at the link below.

• AVTT Directors, Heads of Groups, and Members should provide their reports as normal by email.

• To allow for response time, the meeting will be "open" from Wednesday March 18 to Noon, Friday March 20, 2020.

• The Chair will call for a final vote by email to adjourn the meeting and accept the Agenda, Minutes and Reports and we'll call it a day! :)

I will send a reply shortly that will have the report from the Strategic Planning session.

Thanks all for your continuing participation and please stay safe and healthy.

Cheers
Chris

Christopher Alemany
President - Alberni Valley Transition Town Society
3854 Sixth Ave.
Port Alberni, BC
V9Y4M2
Unceded Traditional Territory of the Tseshaht and Hupacasath.

Christopher Joseph Alemany

Mar 18, 2020, 11:27:25 PM3/18/20
to patran...@googlegroups.com
Hi all!

This “Virtual Meeting” is officially started!

If group leaders and directors could reply to this email with their updates and contributions that would be great.

I have attached the report from our sub committee on strategic planning.  Please review it and provide any feedback. There are actions and recommendations there as well.

If there are no objections we will consider it adopted at the end of the meeting time on Friday.

Thank you all and stay well,
Chris

Report from the Strategic Planning Session.docx

r.powelson

Mar 18, 2020, 11:31:04 PM3/18/20
to Alberni Valley Transition Town
I have submitted the March financials in a separate posting (which should have been posted here - my bad(

dan...@danneau.com

Mar 19, 2020, 12:21:44 PM3/19/20
to patran...@googlegroups.com

AVTT March 18, 2019 – Preliminary Agenda

  1. Approval of Agenda—approve
  2. Approval of Minutes of AGM—approve
  3. Unfinished Business and Current Topics
    • Char’s Landing – Current and Future Payments with COVID-19 - - I’m of a mind that we should work out a maintenance payment for missed meetings. Losing the venue due to permanent closure is a real possibility.

    • Upcoming Events
    • Seedy Saturday, March 21, 2020 – Postponed
    • Canada Day?   Need to see how events unfold. There may or may not be a parade. Bike valet mostly ready to go.
    • Fall Fair==I have a letter asking us to sign up for Glenwood. Don’t feel that it’s worth the time, expense and effort as long as we can have space in Van Iperen.
  1. Reports and Sub-Groups
    • (NEW) – Ad-hoc Strategic Planning – See Report — Surprise! I support all of this and am ready to go to work where I best fit in, subject to quarantine/isolation and what have you.
    • Education and Networking - - There are films in the queue, mostly food/farming related. Energy Forum on hold. Haven’t had much guidance on possibe workshops and reskilling stuff.
    • Food Group / Food Hub
    • Cycle Alberni
    • Housing  - - See Strat Planning
    • Watershed Protection
    • Other Groups and Reports
  2. Finances
    • Current State of Accounts, Grants and Contracts - - Thanks, Rob!
  3. New Business and Other Fun Stuff!
    • FYI, 2020 Directors are: Dan, Rob, Edna, Mark, and Chris.
  4. ADJOURN - - I’ll vote for this, and look forward to the publication of the results.

    NOTE – Next Meeting – April 15, 2020 – Location/Method To Be Determined.

Man's capacity for justice makes democracy possible, but man's inclination to injustice makes democracy necessary.

---Reinhold Niebuhr

DAVE COX

Mar 19, 2020, 3:36:00 PM3/19/20
to patransitions
Thank you, Chris, for setting up this meeting.

I vote yes to approve the agenda and to accept the minutes of the AGM.
I agree that AVTTS should cover cost of the monthly rentals at Char's during the current shut-downs.
Canada Day participation must be a wait and see for now.
Yes to the Strategic Plan, with thanks to Dan, Chris, Rob and
    Who will look into the Tree Canada grant?
The latest Food Hub Committee minutes (March 11) are attached.
Finances -  Thank you, Rob.

Cheers and good health to all,
Edna

Mar 19, 2020, 4:03:43 PM3/19/20
to patran...@googlegroups.com
I’m willing to log some time/effort on the Tree Canada Grant, as well as opening up channels with BC Transit re: shelters and service levels.

Dan

Every man thinks God is on his side. The rich and powerful know he is.

---Jean Anouilh

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/patransitions/1626385134.105121371.1584646557377.JavaMail.zimbra%40shaw.ca.
<AVTTS Food Hub Committee - meeting  - April 8,  2020 -- MINUTES.odt>

Sarah Thomas

Mar 19, 2020, 5:20:20 PM3/19/20
to patran...@googlegroups.com

Hi All,

I too move acceptance of agenda and meeting minutes and concur about still paying the monthly venue rental (assuming funds are available and not needed for web conferencing fees) over the next few months even if meetings are taking place online.

From the point of Cycle Alberni we finished off the bike fix it stand project in the last month. Huge thanks to the City of Port Alberni, Helen Poon and the Kingsway Pub, The Blue Marlin Inn, and the Jumping Slug Community Cyclery for sponsoring that project.

We are now in the process of getting a class set of bikes for Dunn Elementary School. We will be launching a fundraising campaign to help see that project to reality. So stay tuned!

Bike Counts are planned for the end of May as is Bike to Work and School Week including bike courses and events. In light of COVID-19 we will have to wait and see if these events are able to happen or not. We will circulate more information as it gets closer to.

Happy Cycling Everyone!

Sarah

r.powelson

Mar 19, 2020, 11:02:41 PM3/19/20
to Alberni Valley Transition Town
I second the approval of the above minutes.

I second that we should continue paying for the space rental at Char's (holding the space/time slot) whether we meet in person or not.

I will also keep an eye open for funding intake opening dates (Tree Canada, etc)

I think we may look at offering the Bike Valet at other public events, such as Farmer's Markets; as well as the upcoming Bike to Work/School week with the support and promotion by Cycle Alberni.

Now that we have a Strategic Plan, I look forward to implementing it!

Rob

Chris Alemany

Mar 19, 2020, 11:18:33 PM3/19/20
to AVTT List
Hi Sarah!

Great to ’see’ you!

I can give an update on the BtWW stuff. The COVID-19 pandemic has impacted that as well. It looks as if the province wants BWW to hold all funding until the fall.  Those details are being ironed out as I type.

Love all the initiatives! Thank you for the report!

Cheers
Chris

Chris Alemany

Mar 19, 2020, 11:22:51 PM3/19/20
to AVTT List
Thank you all for Motioning and Seconding the Agenda and Minutes. I am very glad to support continuing to pay Char whether we are physically in the space or not. We need to support our businesses in this extraordinary time. Given the pandemic requirements we should hold off on doing the picture-taking of the bike valet until things settle down. There aren’t going to be any events to use it at as long as these measures are in place anyway!

On the Pandemic note:  This is a crucial time for resilience, food security, and mental health in the community.

What can we as a Society do, under the restrictions society is currently under, do to help?

Would love to hear your ideas.

Chris

Chris Alemany

Mar 22, 2020, 5:50:14 PM3/22/20
to AVTT List
Thanks everyone for your input.  I’ll officially close this “digital” meeting.

Minutes might be interesting next time. :).

For the next meeting, if we are still under self-isolation conditions I’m going to put together a digital meeting.

I’ll leave with two links:

The first is a story on the ACRD’s flood management program that looks at how climate change will affect our entire watershed.  Great article by Mike Youds here:

A shout out to Guy Langlois who got this ball rolling a few years ago from the City’s FSCD committee!

And a second link, to the Beacon Buddies website which is connecting people in Port Alberni and across the Island, neighbours helping neighbours to get through the self-isolation.

Through these challenging times we continue to pursue our vision of transition to a low-carbon, diverse, sustainable, and resilient society.

Take care,
Chris