AX25 Modem Issue

KM4ACK

Aug 29, 2022, 7:20:13 AM8/29/22
to pat-users
This has been reported by a couple of users on my forum. I confirmed I could replicate it here. Start the ax25 modem and make a connection. All is well. Attempt to make a second connection produces the error [Unable to establish connection to remote: address already in use]. (see below). If I shutdown the ax25 modem and restart, I am able to make one connection again and then get the error when trying a second connection.

pi@field-pi:~ $ pat connect ax25:///WC4EOC-8?freq=145050
2022/08/29 06:15:48 my-rig ready. Dial frequency is 145.050.00 MHz.
2022/08/29 06:15:48 QSY ax25: 145050
2022/08/29 06:15:51 Connecting to WC4EOC-8 (ax25)...
2022/08/29 06:15:53 Connected to WC4EOC-8 (AX.25)
[WL2K-5.0-B2FWIHJM$]
;PQ: 04657260
CMS via WC4EOC >
>FF
FQ
2022/08/29 06:15:59 Disconnected.
2022/08/29 06:16:00 QSX ax25: 145050.000
pi@field-pi:~ $ pat connect ax25:///WC4EOC-8?freq=145050
2022/08/29 06:16:10 my-rig ready. Dial frequency is 145.050.00 MHz.
2022/08/29 06:16:10 QSY ax25: 145050
2022/08/29 06:16:13 Connecting to WC4EOC-8 (ax25)...
2022/08/29 06:16:13 Unable to establish connection to remote: address already in use
2022/08/29 06:16:14 QSX ax25: 145050.000
pi@field-pi:~ $

John Spoonhower

Aug 29, 2022, 9:48:17 AM8/29/22
to KM4ACK, pat-users
I would add that the pat-gensio (gax25) version does not have this problem.
John, NX2I

Masen KF7HVM

Sep 4, 2022, 11:31:53 AM9/4/22
to pat-users
This is likely a linux kernel ax25 stack issue. It was reported in pat as #352 with a comment linking to the upstream kernel patch that should fix the bug.

I haven't had a chance to test the fix yet, but it did merge. I looked at the FAQ on netdev merge cycles and it's more complicated than I'm willing to unpack this morning, so I don't know exactly when it would be coming to a distribution near you.

Certainly if you're building your own kernels, it would be trivial to just include the patch as merged.

-Masen KF7HVM

KM4ACK

Sep 4, 2022, 12:49:26 PM9/4/22
to pat-users
Thanks for the heads up Masen. Wasn't aware that it was already documented.

73, de KM4ACK

Robert Cheek

Dec 8, 2022, 5:27:08 PM12/8/22
to pat-users
I am seeing this after upgrading from Ubuntu 20.04 and Pat 0.11. to 22.04.  and fresh install of 0.13.1.  Hardware is Nano TNC (Serial - KISS).  As described, if you bring the AX25 down and back up you're good for one more connect.

Regards,
Bob N4RFC

John Spoonhower

Dec 8, 2022, 6:52:37 PM12/8/22
to Robert Cheek, pat-users
you need to upgrade the linux kernel to version 5.19 or greater.I am running  Linux Mint 21 , but I had to upgrade the kernel from 5.15 version to 5.19.17.
The problem disappeared for me with the upgrade.
73, NX2I

Cal Brabandt

Dec 9, 2022, 2:03:50 AM12/9/22
to pat-users
Sadly, 5.19 is recent enough to break ardopc in my experience. The issue is being discussed on the ardop_users Yahoo group. Linux 5.10 is as recent as I've been able to use. Anything newer, up to and including 6.x results in ardopc performance becoming unusable.

73

Cal  AD8Q

Robert Cheek

Dec 11, 2022, 3:04:58 PM12/11/22
to pat-users
I have 2 computers here, one is Pat 0.12.0 and 5.15.0-52 and the other is Pat .013.1 and 5.15.0-56  The first computer is running Ubuntu 20.04 then second is the one that I upgraded to 22.04. Both are broken, ARDOP and AX25 (KISS Modem) don't work.

ARDOP now keys the transmitter and then doesn't unkey it.   And AX25 has the one time use address problem.

So reading the string here I need to down grade my kernel to 5.10.  What other applications are going to break if I do that?

In the mean time, I am sorry to say I will be back on Winders 10.

Robert Cheek

Jan 6, 2023, 1:56:38 PM1/6/23
to pat-users
I downloaded an update, 20.04.5 Kernel 5.15.57, (was 5.15.56)  now PAT will make two connections before it errors with .56 it errored after one connection.

FYI
Bob - N4RFC

Michael Lussier

Jan 25, 2023, 8:44:43 AM1/25/23
to pat-users
Very interesting testing that I did yesterday on this issue. I run pat on raspberry pi 3B+ Kernel 5.15.84-v7+

I'm one of the guys that gets this message
2023/01/25 06:44:17 Connecting to AE4ML-10 (ax25)...
2023/01/25 06:44:17 Unable to establish connection to remote: address already in use

My kernel information
pi@pat-mbx:~ $ hostnamectl
   Static hostname: pat-mbx
         Icon name: computer
        Machine ID: a5eca8118bed467c91eca99db51e5b45
           Boot ID: 6cb60b7a9a7e41829b2d0501aa3c2de2
  Operating System: Raspbian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
            Kernel: Linux 5.15.84-v7+
      Architecture: arm

I get 1 transmission and then a failure, or so I thought.
I have the luck of 4 RMS gateways in the region that are accessible either direct or via a hop or 2.

My test was this . I rebooted the pi and send the first to my closest gateway. The initial message went perfectly. and then the second one failed. I didn't reboot or restart services.
I resent the message to a second gateway via 1 hop and it worked. I created a second message and sent it to the same gateway and it failed. I repeated this process to the third and fourth gateways all with the same behavior . The first message works and the second message fails.

This tells me atleast with the failure I can still send my message via a second or third route. but why does it hold the last known gateway in a state of already in use ? with no ability to send a message via that path ?

Cal Brabandt

Jan 28, 2023, 3:24:52 PM1/28/23
to pat-users
I have not experienced the stuck transmit, though my IC-7300 sometimes sticks with fldigi/flrig on my Quadra arm64 HamPi system and I've not figured it out yet.

Pat ARDOP users are now working around the ardopc frame decode errors with the newer kernels. You'll need John's latest Jan. 13th source for the new --leaderlength command line option (or his binary, if you're lucky, but I usually just do the quick and easy ardopc build from source). You'll also need the specified .asoundrc file or something similar. Last John posted to the ardop group, he admitted that he still didn't understand the root cause of the problem, but he's helped to enable a workaround.that works as well as my 4.9 and 5.10 kernels without the new workaround. I haven't tried the older kernels WITH the workaround yet.

For the one-time use ax25 problem, you could try pat-gensio. I'm running pat-gensio on both arm64 and x86-64. I'm running the pre-built pat-gensio binary from github for arm64 but I had to build it myself (difficult) for x86-64, due to a libc6 incompatibility between the binary and my libc6 library. I used an ugly hack to get the build scripts though the process, which I have previously described here in this group.

Hope this helps and 73

Cal (AD8Q)

On Sunday, December 11, 2022 at 12:04:58 PM UTC-8 wb4...@wrote:
I have 2 computers here, one is Pat 0.12.0 and 5.15.0-52 and the other is Pat .013.1 and 5.15.0-56  The first computer is running Ubuntu 20.04 then second is the one that I upgraded to 22.04. Both are broken, ARDOP and AX25 (KISS Modem) don't work.

ARDOP now keys the transmitter and then doesn't unkey it.   And AX25 has the one time use address problem.

So reading the string here I need to down grade my kernel to 5.10.  What other applications are going to break if I do that?

In the mean time, I am sorry to say I will be back on Winders 10.

<snip>

Cal Brabandt

Jan 28, 2023, 3:27:53 PM1/28/23
to pat-users

christoph...@gmail.com

Jan 29, 2023, 9:32:38 AM1/29/23
to Cal Brabandt, pat-users
Yes, the patches are already committed in the kernel source, and the problem will be gone next binary kernel update.  If you want it fixed now I have left instructions in the build-a-pi group.  You can skip the part about patching the kernel because the patches have been applied.

Chris KQ6UP

Sent from my iPhone

Robert Cheek

Feb 26, 2023, 2:12:34 PM2/26/23
to pat-users
A couple of updates later and, 15.19.0-32 Generic seems to be working on AX25 now.  I sent several test messages this morning no problems.  I will check to see if my ARDOP is still working.  Need to get the VARA up and running.  I have it on Winders and it works very well.

DE N4RFC

Robert Cheek

Feb 27, 2023, 8:50:35 PM2/27/23
to pat-users
ARDOP is broken. It keys the transmitter on the IC-7100 then the ARDOP freezes showing the TX command on the trace.  The TX hangs on till I hit the power button on the IC-7100.  Here is the trace:

[Command Trace FROM host: ARQCALL WW4MSK 10
 Command Trace TO Host ARQCALL WW4MSK 10
 Command Trace TO Host NEWSTATE ISS
[SendARQConnectRequest] strMycall=N4RFC  strTargetCall=WW4MSK bytPendingSessionID=57
Sending Frame Type ConReq500M
[Main.KeyPTT]  PTT-TRUE

Also, when I start the hamlib I see this response now:

Starting rigctld for CAT control of the IC-7100
bob@bob-HP-Notebook:~$ icom_set_vfo: unknown vfo 'currVFO'
icom_set_vfo: unsupported VFO otherVFO

That is new too.

Anyone else see this problem?