Is this project dead?

Richard JE Cooke

Dec 20, 2021, 5:16:26 AM12/20/21
to Paper.js
Hi, is paper.js even supported anymore?  It seems there's been no significant new dev in years in github.  There's no reddit or discord group, no one replies on this forum.

And the project doesn't seem to support modern svg advancements, like this code doesn't do anything at all:

const item = p.project.importSVG(`
    <svg width="650" height="500">
        <filter id='roughpaper' x='0%' y='0%' width='100%' height="100%">
            <feTurbulence type="fractalNoise" baseFrequency='0.04' result='noise' numOctaves="5" />
            <feDiffuseLighting in='noise' lighting-color='white' surfaceScale='2'>
                <feDistantLight azimuth='45' elevation='60' />
            </feDiffuseLighting>
        </filter>
        <rect x="0" y="0" width="100%" height="100%" filter="url(#roughpaper)" fill="none">
    </svg>`);

Adam B

Dec 20, 2021, 9:30:30 PM12/20/21
to Paper.js
I'm with you on this. The whole community and support seems dead.

Samuel ASENSI

Dec 21, 2021, 4:11:36 AM12/21/21
to pap...@googlegroups.com
Hi, you're right that this is not the most alive project nowaday but it's not dead neither.
I try to provide community support the best I can on stackoverflow, this google group and the gitter chat.
Otherwise, the original author, Jurg Lehni still takes care of merging PRs and doing releases from time to time.
The thing is that everybody has professional activity in parallel...
But as for every open source project, the good thing is that contributions are more than welcome.
So if you feel that something important is missing or broken, feel free to give it a try.

    Samuel ASENSI

Richard JE Cooke

Dec 21, 2021, 1:01:42 PM12/21/21
to Paper.js
Thanks, yeah, I'd love to contribute some code once I get better at generative art. Maybe merging in some of the parts of geometric.js or flatten.js, and the including latest svg features, and somehow allowing direct drawing to canvas along with svg drawing.
But that's going to take a while for me to get good at. Definitely a worthwhile cause though, this library is the best I've found for art. (Unless maybe going very low level with a utility library like svg.js). It does seem like it's falling behind on features sadly.

I really think we should move from Google Groups to Reddit though, it's so much more visible, visited, and user friendly to new users.

The huge problem with Gitter and Discord is that there is no public search history for google so everyone asks the sames questions over and over, and entire questions get lost in the endless flow of chatting if the room is busy, or ignored if it's not. At least this google group is better in that regard. I only ever use the chatrooms for chatting about ephemeral stuff.

Adam B

Dec 21, 2021, 4:51:18 PM12/21/21
to Paper.js
Thanks for the reply Samuel! I really appreciate all the work the team has done. But I do agree with Richard that it is really hard to get help. I have needed help with creating a bounding box transformer that can scale and rotate (like Illustrator) but have gotten no where (it is essential to my project). Some sort of searchable forum would be great for this (I could help with this) or, as Richard suggested, Reddit. Search on the paper.js would help a lot too.
I am creating something similar to Sketch/Figma and have tried so many different frameworks, Fabric.js (does some great things out of box eg. the transformer but path editing is very immature), two.js (close but not quite what I am after - heavily geared to animation), svg.js (doesn't use canvas so probably not performant enough or my needs) even building my own canvas framework. However paper.js still seems the ideal framework if only I could get more help.
Keep up the awesome work!
Adam