Got it- where's the instructions?

Will Senn

May 4, 2022, 8:34:22 PM5/4/22
to PAL 6502 computer
All,
I received my PAL-1 w/Motherboard and 2nd RIOT expansion and it's beautiful - all the parts are there and nicely packaged. I just need to find the time to put it together. I'm planning to solder up the Motherboard first, then the Riot expansion to get some soldering practice in before going for the PAL-1.

I don't need much by way of instruction for the first two pieces as there aren't many parts, but I was shocked to find nothing but the blueprint for the big job of the PAL-1. Surely there's more to it than just soldering everything where it's supposed to go following the blueprint and hope it just works at the end? I figured there'd be some order to it with a test here and a test there...

Help! I'm hoping somebody either wrote up some notes or did a "here's me putting the PAL-1 together" video...

Thanks,
Will

Jimmy Ipock

May 4, 2022, 8:37:10 PM5/4/22
to Will Senn, PAL 6502 computer
I'll be happy to send some close up pics of my PAL-1 if you need to see where some part goes.
As far as testing, pretty much treat it like an original KIM-1

Mailtrack Sender notified by
Mailtrack
05/04/22, 07:36:22 PM

GN L

May 4, 2022, 9:02:56 PM5/4/22
to Will Senn, PAL 6502 computer
Hi Will,

You can find the manuals written with my poor English at http://pal.aibs.ws/support

And you can find the assembly video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Juf5nu1Eh88 (Thanks Dominic) and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RboHV1aDLRg (Thanks Taylor and Amy)

Thanks,
Liu

Best,
Liu

Will Senn

May 4, 2022, 9:40:27 PM5/4/22
to GN L, PAL 6502 computer
Thanks, Liu. I'll check 'em out.

Will

Ronny Ribeiro

May 5, 2022, 8:03:54 PM5/5/22
to PAL 6502 computer
Dear Will,

Once you get your PAL-1 assembled, the shortest program you can type in to test it is this:
[RS] [DA] 20 [+] 63 [+] 1F [+] 20 [+] 1F [+] 1F [+] 4C [+] 00 [+] 00 [+] [AD] 0000 [GO]
The brackets represent PAL's specialized keys and the addresses and op codes are the rest. It uses two of KIM's builtin subroutines: one for increment the display registers and one for displaying the content of the registers; the last op code causes the program pointer to jump back to the beginning and start all over again in an endless loop. Once you press [GO] you will see the four leftmost 7-segment displays (the address display) counting incrementally in hexadecimal numbers very fast. The two rightmost digits will statically display "20", which is the content of address "0000", where the program started.
One easy way to test if your second RIOT is working properly, at least wired properly, is to go to one of its timer registers:
[RS] 1704
As soon as you finished typing this you will see the second RIOT 1 us timer register running very fast.

I started from zero and 99% of what I learned was from here, this group, the posts, comments, links and all the information generously given from every member here (thank you, guys!).
Anyone feel free to correct this information :)

Best Regards,

Ronny

Neil Andretti

May 6, 2022, 5:46:08 AM5/6/22
to PAL 6502 computer
Also try the interactive BOM List, that shows you which part belongs where on the board.

Will Senn

May 6, 2022, 8:20:35 AM5/6/22
to Neil Andretti, PAL 6502 computer
Wow. I've never seen one of those. It should help quite a bit. Thanks!

Will

GN L

May 6, 2022, 8:34:37 AM5/6/22
to Will Senn, Neil Andretti, PAL 6502 computer
Seems I need to move the ibom sticker to a more visible place ;)
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pal6502/3fde14d6-b537-cb69-c8fb-774233221975%40gmail.com.

Best,
Liu

Will Senn

May 6, 2022, 8:43:44 AM5/6/22
to GN L, Neil Andretti, PAL 6502 computer
Nah, I remember seeing the link, it just didn't connect in my brain what
it was or what it was for... I had some fantasy that you would click on
a part number and it would show you what the part looked like or take
you to its datasheet or somesuch - shame on me for not at least checking
it out :).

Will

GN L

May 6, 2022, 9:25:25 AM5/6/22
to Will Senn, Neil Andretti, PAL 6502 computer
Good idea, I will think about manual adding the part pictures after the PAL-2 works.
Best,
Liu

Will Senn

May 6, 2022, 8:32:40 PM5/6/22
to PAL 6502 computer
Soldered up the motherboard, then the riot expansion, on the the PAL-1. Sheesh, that motherboard had a lot of solder points :). Good practice for a newb though, only had to use the solder sucker a few times...