Some LED and key switch comparison of PAL-2

GN Liu

Dec 13, 2022, 9:18:10 PM12/13/22
to PAL 6502 computer
IMG_2972.jpg
compare with PAL-1

IMG_2964.jpeg
yellow lines are the closest set to the KIM-1

IMG_2963.jpeg
low profile PC keyboard Kailh switch with keycap needs HUGE LEDs (0.8" LED in photo)

IMG_2966.jpeg
yellow lines are the full keypad and LED space need with low profile PC keyboard Kailh switch.

IMG_2967.jpeg
compare with the KIM-1 keys.

IMG_2969.jpeg
side profile comparison

IMG_2970.jpeg
height comparison.

Hans Otten

Dec 14, 2022, 4:36:41 AM12/14/22
to PAL 6502 computer
I like the little black key, shown to be the size of the KIM-1 keyboard. With a 3d printer frame it looks more like the original KIM-1 keyboard.

LED displays, not too big, also black surface. The Red big ones are ugly!.

Ronny Ribeiro

Dec 14, 2022, 10:34:26 AM12/14/22
to GN Liu, PAL 6502 computer
Definitely the black display with the mechanical switches!

Ronny

Jim McClanahan

Dec 14, 2022, 11:06:54 AM12/14/22
to PAL 6502 computer
I like the black switches also. Wouldn't feel strongly about them being a bit larger than the originals. I don't like the giant red LEDs either.

I don't know if it has been mentioned before, but it would also be nice to bring out the RIOT lines that feed the keyboard to a set of pads where you could install a header if you wanted to. It would be kind of nice to be able to connect something like an old Atari joystick which basically just looks like four switches for the joystick and 1 more switch for the fire button.

Thanks,
Jim W4JBM

Hans Van Slooten

Dec 14, 2022, 11:32:03 AM12/14/22
to Hans Otten, PAL 6502 computer
I agree.

Hans V.

GN Liu

Dec 15, 2022, 7:08:18 PM12/15/22
to PAL 6502 computer
Hi Hans O.,

I'm also trying to find some suitable frame for it.

GN Liu

Dec 15, 2022, 7:11:08 PM12/15/22
to PAL 6502 computer
Hi Ronny,

All switches I'm comparing are mechanical, do you mean the Kailh switches? That combination would be super weird...

GN Liu

Dec 15, 2022, 7:13:27 PM12/15/22
to PAL 6502 computer
Hi Jim,

I remember you told me about the design before. I'll leave the pin head place on the board, maybe next to the keypad area.

GN Liu

Dec 15, 2022, 7:14:24 PM12/15/22
to PAL 6502 computer
Thanks Hans V.!!!