World’s Worst Paper Tape Reader

Michael Doornbos

Apr 29, 2022, 9:09:32 AM4/29/22
to PAL 6502 computer
Happy Friday

I got my World's worst paper tape reader working yesterday finally. It's quite interesting since I don't have a clock to sync... I set everything to read once a second and listen for a ticking clock on my wall.

Decoding on the PAL-1 and VIC-20 at the same time ;-)

Video of it is here:

https://michaeldoornbos.com/2022/04/29/success-the-worlds-worst-paper-tape/

--
Michael Doornbos
Imapenguin.com

GN L

Apr 29, 2022, 9:30:31 AM4/29/22
to Michael Doornbos, PAL 6502 computer
OMG :O

Will it got a stepper motor drive in the future?

Best,
Liu

Michael Doornbos

Apr 29, 2022, 9:34:05 AM4/29/22
to GN L, PAL 6502 computer
That’s the logical next step. I need a break from it right now, but at least some way to mark the bytes being input.

I did add a 9th phototransistor to the row where the sprocket holes are that’s currently unused. Was thinking maybe detecting that hole could be my timing.

All of this is complicated by the fact that I don’t actually have any paper tape. I made some by hand, which is a whole other problem in itself.

--
Michael Doornbos
Imapenguin.com
Evadot.com
michaeldoornbos.com
myzenith750.com <—- yes I’m building an airplane in my garage (hangar)
828-450-7418
HAM: N4LNX

Hans Otten

Apr 30, 2022, 4:45:17 AM4/30/22
to PAL 6502 computer
Yes, you need the sprocket hole to sync reading the holes. First detect the sprocket hole, then read the other holes, then wait for the sprocket hole to becomes closed again by the moving papertape.. With some delays for slow moving papertape.

Michael Doornbos