Lighthouse inconsistencies

joao.n...@neo.com.pe

Jul 27, 2020, 11:40:47 AM7/27/20
to pagespeed-insights-discuss
Hello, I have been tracking a client's site speed with Lighthouse running on a Virtual Machine using the CMD tracking the First meaningful paint and Largest contentful paint with some problems:

1. The metric doesn't vary as the site becomes faster. We've been rolling big improvements and with the field tests it does feel a lot faster but Lighthouse is still showing higher load times than the ones we can observe

2. The website's homepage: www.viabcp.com has been giving errors when trying to run on another virtual machine that we set up and in the manual tests, but the original Virtual machine is still getting metrics correctly

Our client is asking us why is Lighthouse not giving the right metric, and we're worried that since Google is using Web Core Vitals for ranking we're not benefiting enough from the improved user experience because the tool is not reading the site timings properly.

Thank you

Kalsi Infotech

Jul 27, 2020, 11:47:20 AM7/27/20
to pagespeed-ins...@googlegroups.com
How many plugins and third party api used in website, if you use any third party api then google will not up speed in page speed insights.

Punit Sethi

Jul 28, 2020, 12:24:18 AM7/28/20
to pagespeed-insights-discuss
1. The metric doesn't vary as the site becomes faster. We've been rolling big improvements and with the field tests it does feel a lot faster but Lighthouse is still showing higher load times than the ones we can observe

Is there specific data or webpagetest recording of earlier vs now you can share to see to provide more insightful feedback? In general, to improve LCP - preloading the largest content (often an image) helps.

2. The website's homepage: www.viabcp.com has been giving errors when trying to run on another virtual machine that we set up and in the manual tests, but the original Virtual machine is still getting metrics correctly

Can you try running lighthouse in verbose mode to see additional information helps debug the issue? Can you try loading the same URL on same machine without lighthouse and make sure it loads fine?

Our client is asking us why is Lighthouse not giving the right metric, and we're worried that since Google is using Web Core Vitals for ranking we're not benefiting enough from the improved user experience because the tool is not reading the site timings properly.

Web core vitals are often best representative of visitors' speed experience. Are there different speed metrics that better reflect your visitors' speed experience? Can you comprehend further?