Upper and Lower Herbert River Run

Tristan Glen

Dec 30, 2020, 1:10:14 PM12/30/20
to paddle.novascotia
Just got back from paddling the Herbert River! It was a great final canoe trip for 2020.  Jan and I put in on Beaver Bank Rd (HWY 354) and took out in Brooklyn (HWY 215).  Having never paddled this river, I was really impressed with the beautiful cliffs and dark hemlock groves!

We had high water levels, and with just a few sweepers to avoid, a pretty clean run down.  We portaged 3 times, and lined two short sections.  We somehow managed to crack our heavy SP3 (3 layer polyethylene) canoe lengthwise in the centre while grinding over a shallow rock.  I did not think it was possible to damage these canoes in this way. Maybe it had seen too much sun over the last few decades.

We found an established campsite just a kilometre downstream from the old fallen bridge (above the waterfall) and made camp there for the long night.

The lower river was pleasant and relaxing.  What a great river!  Great to finally see the famous CKNS access point at HWY 202 in person.

Dusan Soudek

Dec 30, 2020, 6:28:47 PM12/30/20
to paddle.novascotia
Tristan,
  thanks for the report. Herbert River is one of my favourites. Too bad you normally cannot paddle it, except for the stillwaters, in the summer because there isn’t enough water to float a canoe or a kayak. There are many established campsites along the river, including one on my property there. Along the lower river you can camp basically anywhere under the tall Eastern Hemlocks or on gravel bars...
   You can also paddle the large marsh/stillwater just upstream of the Beaver Bank Road bridge, and the tidal section below the takeout near Brooklyn. But egress from the tidal river is difficult, as the banks are steep and muddy. But it can be done at certain places, best at high tide. Thanks again for a great report..
   Dusan Soudek