virtualbox-iso: Timeout waiting for SSH.

Nick S

Oct 10, 2016, 8:04:17 PM10/10/16
to Packer
I'm trying to create a VirtualBox OVA off a Ubuntu Trusty ISO. I've ran through debug mode and I'm presently set up to run with the GUI enabled, at which point, and I see an issue with the mechanism around finding SSH available. Since this is VirtualBox running NAT, I've set up port forwarding and configured the SSH agent in the server.json to seek it off the forwarded port. Shortly before it does time out, there's a window roughly 5 minutes in duration where I can successfully execute a "ssh -p 2022 localhost" from another terminal.

The only theory I have is that somehow the SSH_Available checker is not using the SSH settings in the JSON. I've attached the preseed.cfg and the server.json for review. Thanks in advance!

[root@centos-test ubuntu_64]# packr build server.json
virtualbox
-iso output will be in this color.

==> virtualbox-iso: Downloading or copying Guest additions
    virtualbox
-iso: Downloading or copying: file:///usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso
==> virtualbox-iso: Downloading or copying ISO
    virtualbox
-iso: Downloading or copying: http://releases.ubuntu.com/14.04/ubuntu-14.04.4-server-amd64.iso
==> virtualbox-iso: Starting HTTP server on port 9001
==> virtualbox-iso: Creating virtual machine...
==> virtualbox-iso: Creating hard drive...
==> virtualbox-iso: Creating forwarded port mapping for communicator (SSH, WinRM, etc) (host port 2555)
==> virtualbox-iso: Executing custom VBoxManage commands...
    virtualbox
-iso: Executing: modifyvm server.local --memory 1536
    virtualbox
-iso: Executing: modifyvm server.local --cpus 1
    virtualbox
-iso: Executing: modifyvm server.local --natpf1 guest_ssh,tcp,,2022,,22
    virtualbox
-iso: Executing: modifyvm server.local --natpf1 postgres,tcp,,5432,,5432
    virtualbox
-iso: Executing: modifyvm server.local --natpf1 tomcat_http,tcp,,8080,,8080
    virtualbox
-iso: Executing: modifyvm server.local --natpf1 tomcat_https,tcp,,8443,,8443
==> virtualbox-iso: Starting the virtual machine...
==> virtualbox-iso: Waiting 20s for boot...
==> virtualbox-iso: Typing the boot command...
==> virtualbox-iso: Waiting for SSH to become available...
==> virtualbox-iso: Timeout waiting for SSH.
==> virtualbox-iso: Unregistering and deleting virtual machine...
==> virtualbox-iso: Deleting output directory...
Build 'virtualbox-iso' errored: Timeout waiting for SSH.

==> Some builds didn't complete successfully and had errors:
--> virtualbox-iso: Timeout waiting for SSH.

==> Builds finished but no artifacts were created.

preseed.cfg
server.json

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera

Oct 11, 2016, 6:54:25 AM10/11/16
to packe...@googlegroups.com
Hello

You are giving fixed ports in the template:

      "ssh_host": "localhost",
      "ssh_port": "2022",

That is not needed.

That is usually used when packer won't find the ports, but in Virtualbox and VMWare packer does it for you.

ie. have a look at this template:

Packer will scan the IP from Vbox/vmware for dhcp and forward a port to the VM on port 22
then use that port automatically

Alvaro

IRC: #packer-tool on Freenode
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Packer" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/packer-tool/d22f3ed9-697e-4f76-bed5-93579c9daed9%40googlegroups.com.

Alvaro

Nick S

Oct 13, 2016, 2:06:30 PM10/13/16
to Packer
Couple updates...

1) Removing the 3 ssh parameters seemed to fix the issue. They were:
      "ssh_disable_agent": true,
      "ssh_host": "localhost",
      "ssh_port": "2022",
2) The shell script section cannot execute scripts in bash, despite the #!/bin/bash header. I've implemented a work-around to make this shell-friendly.
3) The VirtualBox job exports as an ovf, I need this to be a single file ova export. Will open separate ticket.

Thanks for the assist!

Alvaro

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera

Oct 13, 2016, 4:53:36 PM10/13/16
to packe...@googlegroups.com
hello

for the shell part is how you are running the scripts.

packer will copy the file and run it

but you have this:

    {
      "type": "shell",
      "script": "scripts/vm_deploy.sh",
      "execute_command": "echo '{{user `ssh_pass`}}' | {{ .Vars }} sudo -E -S sh '{{ .Path }}'"
    },

so it will do sh <file>

i will say make the user to be able to sudo without password

and use a more simple scripts line, like

    {
      "type": "shell",
      "script": "scripts/vm_deploy.sh"
    },