Reusing the state of a failed provisioned system

tushar mathur

Feb 11, 2018, 6:11:12 AM2/11/18
to Packer
Hi,

I am trying to provision my ami using a set of custom shell scripts. Sadly every time they fail I have to recreate an ec2 instance from scratch. This makes sense when I am deploying in production but at the time of debugging and trying out different commands it becomes really slow.

Is there a way for me to actually reuse the state in which ec2 instance is currently and keep running the provisioners again and again?

I tried the --on-error argument but that only runs on the last failed step where as what I really want is to run the provisioning again from scratch.

packer build --debug  -on-error=ask packer-aws.json

Thanks!

Rickard von Essen

Feb 11, 2018, 8:51:20 AM2/11/18
to packe...@googlegroups.com
Usually I add a null builder to the template. Then you can either A) add a inline "sleep 3600" start a build with "packer build -only amazon-ebs template.json". And when it pauses the provisioning in another terminal run "packer build -only null -var debug_ip=IP -var private_key... template.json" and iterate over your provisioning scripts quickly. Or B) just launch a EC2 instance manually and run the null builder against that.

{
    "variables": {
        "debug_ip": "",
        "private_key": "",
        "keypair": ""
    },
    "builders": [
        {
            "type": "amazon-ebs",
       [...]
        },
        {
            "type": "null",
            "ssh_host": "{{ user `debug_ip`}}",
            "ssh_username": "{{ user `username`}}",
            "ssh_private_key_file": "{{ user `private_key`}}"
        }
    ],
}

IRC: #packer-tool on Freenode
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Packer" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/packer-tool/bcb7f49c-7225-4bbd-8cec-5caa2d863aba%40googlegroups.com.

tush

Feb 13, 2018, 11:50:10 PM2/13/18
to packe...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a ton Rickard. This has been really helpful!

IRC: #packer-tool on Freenode
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Packer" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/packer-tool/CALz9Rt-Jy75tgnKLHWaubrW1w_sGifM%3DW0xae6c7vHUd8Trp0w%40mail.gmail.com.

Tushar Mathur.