Packer for Microsoft Surface Windows 10 Deployments?

Larry Velez

Feb 1, 2018, 2:55:00 PM2/1/18
to Packer
Hi All,

Pardon if I am totally confused about how flexible Packer is but am I barking up the wrong tree to look at Packer as a way to scale the deployment of hundreds of Microsoft Surface Laptops to businesses?   Ideally we would lean on a solution that could be software automated and allow us to standardize the OS and Applications across all the machines.   Maybe Packer is just not designed for consumer Operating Systems?

thanks for pointing me in the right direction,

Larry

Larry Velez

Feb 1, 2018, 4:32:38 PM2/1/18
to Packer

I might have googled my way to one possible answer to what I am looking for which might be more in line with our laptop needs than Packer (If I am understanding Packer correctly)

https://www.smartdeploy.com

-Larry

Rickard von Essen

Feb 1, 2018, 11:59:27 PM2/1/18
to packe...@googlegroups.com
Yes Packer is probably not the tool you are looking for. It's more for creating immutable cloud and VM images.

IRC: #packer-tool on Freenode
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Packer" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/packer-tool/b810dfc9-4217-467c-b8b2-1159827579f6%40googlegroups.com.

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera

Feb 2, 2018, 4:48:12 AM2/2/18
to packe...@googlegroups.com

IRC: #packer-tool on Freenode
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Packer" group.

Alvaro

Larry Velez

Feb 2, 2018, 8:56:23 AM2/2/18
to Packer

Thank you for the pointer Alvaro.

Microsoft's approach is useful but leaves a lot to the user to work out like drivers and non-microsoft applications.  Right now I am leaning towards SmartDeploy for our needs.

thanks all, sorry to have chimed in - it's funny that cloud imaging technologies want nothing to do with the desktop operating systems - especially MacOS.