Packer hanging at Gracefully halting virtual machine

Edward Evans

Dec 1, 2016, 3:25:30 PM12/1/16
to Packer
Hi,

I am using the packer templates from mwrock at https://github.com/mwrock/packer-templates and it has been working for a couple of months.  I recently updated to packer 0.12.0 and the latest VirtualBox and now packer is hanging after it gets access through winrm.

I saw a similar post of someone using vmware that said it was resolved with version 0.12.0 but I'm still having the issue.

Thanks,
Ed

Rickard von Essen

Dec 1, 2016, 4:23:19 PM12/1/16
to packe...@googlegroups.com

Could you specify which one you are using and attach a packer log from a run. (PACKER_LOG=1 packer build template.json).

IRC: #packer-tool on Freenode
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Packer" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/packer-tool/85e884dc-ea3f-415b-97a4-b0e092868cad%40googlegroups.com.

Edward Evans

Dec 5, 2016, 1:50:22 PM12/5/16
to Packer
After using the PACKER_LOG=1 and much research it appears to be related to this VirtualBox ticket https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/16063.

Thanks

Edward Evans

Dec 5, 2016, 3:03:22 PM12/5/16
to Packer
FYI, using a post_shutdown_delay which was added as a result of https://github.com/mitchellh/packer/issues/2401 of 5 minutes fixed this issue.  I am going to experiment to see minimum time needed on my machine but the default is 30 seconds.  I remember this now from previous tries and didn't file it away in my memory as I thought it would be fixed in a later version.