Skip shutdown

valli nayagam

Mar 7, 2018, 11:02:46 AM3/7/18
to Packer
Hi All

Is it possible to skip the shutdown operation after build and provisioning the machine?

I'm not sure whether my understanding is valid, but looking for some answers.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Vallinayagam. K

Rickard von Essen

Mar 7, 2018, 12:22:06 PM3/7/18
to packe...@googlegroups.com
No in general it's not. Which builder do you use and what's the reason for this?

IRC: #packer-tool on Freenode
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Packer" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/packer-tool/19e1a8e4-95d8-446b-bc09-432fdce5e3ba%40googlegroups.com.

valli nayagam

Mar 7, 2018, 12:56:53 PM3/7/18
to Packer
I'm using vmware-iso builder and would like to use the machine for other operations without power on again.

Example:
Step 1: Building Debian server and installing an app using ansible provision.
Step 2: Run automation scripts and tests against above provisioned machine.

Regards
Vallinayagam.K

On Mar 7, 2018 17:02, "valli nayagam" <vall...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi All

Is it possible to skip the shutdown operation after build and provisioning the machine?

I'm not sure whether my understanding is valid, but looking for some answers.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Vallinayagam. K

IRC: #packer-tool on Freenode
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Packer" group.

Rickard von Essen

Mar 7, 2018, 1:35:36 PM3/7/18
to packe...@googlegroups.com
Then I would end my provisioning with a file provisioner which downloads a marker (empty) file and then a script that exits with 1. And then wrap the Packer build in a script that checks if the marker file exists.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/packer-tool/3ff6adc6-04c6-4795-a9f7-ee7747cab193%40googlegroups.com.

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera

Mar 8, 2018, 6:51:41 AM3/8/18
to packe...@googlegroups.com
However it feels that you can think into a 2 step process

packer does step 1 and you get a intermediate box
step 2 publish the tested box

Alvaro