Intro film on youtube

roaming yak

May 31, 2021, 5:36:35 AM5/31/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hi everybody,

Some of you might remember I spent the last year locked down in Namibia and Zambia.

To give myself a purpose each day rather than just drifting around aimlessly I got some camera gear and started filming some ideas and routes with the aim of making them into youtube series.
After a few months at home and a million hours of tutorials on how to use my editing software, I'm getting there - a short intro video uploaded today. Maybe some of you will enjoy following my progress...

If your kind enough to check it out please let me know if it looks and sounds ok on your device, thanks ;)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKMBDvxp2eh732jk1Mz_7Pg

Geoff Hill

May 31, 2021, 8:42:26 AM5/31/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Looks good sounds good.

I will enjoy travelling along.

Geoff

Brendon Muller

May 31, 2021, 9:02:12 AM5/31/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Great stuff, looking forward too seeing your future clips

Avast logo

Mike Slater

May 31, 2021, 9:29:39 AM5/31/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Darren

Hooked! And subscribed.

On 31 May 2021 11:36, roaming yak wrote:
Hi everybody,

Some of you might remember I spent the last year locked down in Namibia and Zambia.

To give myself a purpose each day rather than just drifting around aimlessly I got some camera gear and started filming some ideas and routes with the aim of making them into youtube series.
After a few months at home and a million hours of tutorials on how to use my editing software, I'm getting there - a short intro video uploaded today. Maybe some of you will enjoy following my progress...

If your kind enough to check it out please let me know if it looks and sounds ok on your device, thanks ;)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKMBDvxp2eh732jk1Mz_7Pg

Avast logo

"Alla fin del gioco tanto va nel sacco il Re quanto la pedina."

Best wishes

Mike Slater

Join me in amazing Mozambique:
http://www.mozguide.com/index.php/about/about/custom-trips-and-tours

Peter Levey

May 31, 2021, 9:33:38 AM5/31/21
to Overland-forum
Hi,
I really liked it and think you're on to a winner with this series.  Great photography and wonderful scenes. Subscribed

Peter Levey

On Mon, May 31, 2021 at 3:29 PM Mike Slater <mozg...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

grahambowring2

May 31, 2021, 10:11:23 AM5/31/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Looks great on my phone but will be even better on the big screen!

Graham Bowring

May 31, 2021, 10:58:42 AM5/31/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Thanks everybody, thats very encouraging! :-)
    If you can share it via whatever social media you use that would be greatly appreciated too, thanks again!

Bruce Turner

May 31, 2021, 11:40:19 AM5/31/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Awesome Darrin. Can’t wait to see more.

Watched on Apple TV and Apple cellphone 12 something or other. Perfect sound!

Rgds
BruceT

swissno...@yahoo.com

Jun 1, 2021, 3:02:08 AM6/1/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Thank you for sharing.

I made a link to your trailer in the Namibia Forum.

Greetings

Emanuel Berger

Kirchmattstrasse 2

3422 Kirchberg

Switzerland

Mobile: +41 79 352 24 31

Home:   +41 34 445 21 51

Afrika-Blog: https://africanomads.wordpress.com

Francois Janse van Rensburg

Jun 1, 2021, 3:53:22 AM6/1/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
It looks great Darrin.

No issues on the iPhone and Samsung Smart tv that I watched it on.

Looking forward to the next uploads.

Cheers,
Francois

Francois Visagie

Jun 1, 2021, 4:27:59 AM6/1/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

All good mate. Job well done all the way.

You must have enjoyed reliving those memories while putting this together!

François Visagie

Mobile  +44 (7624) 321682

Email      francois...@gmail.com

image001.png
image002.png

Neale Penman

Jun 1, 2021, 8:58:23 AM6/1/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Great stuff,  looking forward to it.

I'm sure you checked out all the overlander type channels. For a different perspective you might want to check out the bicycle tourers- I think they do some really cool and entertaining video work, sometimes with quite limited resources.

One of my favourites would be Alee Denham. He's one of the less irritating Australians and has put together an amazing set of videos on his bicycle tours. His camera work is really stunning, you sometimes feel like you're watching something out of National Geographic. https://www.youtube.com/c/Cyclingabout

Less polished but just great fun would be the mad Finns Peyman and Matilda

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8bM_y2J-rhv1FL3hdP2VSA

Like you both got struck during lockdown. Alee in Mexico and Peyman and Matilda spent a year in the Gamibia.

Wish you all the best with your channel.

Cheers

Neale

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/overland-forum/00c401d756bf%24e4219f70%24ac64de50%24%40gmail.com.
--
Neale Penman | Confluence | Research driven strategy | 082 468 6766 | www.confluence.co.za

Nico Roets

Jun 2, 2021, 6:02:19 AM6/2/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Looking good. Subscribed to getthe next installment

On Mon, 31 May 2021 at 11:36, roaming yak <roami...@gmail.com> wrote:

Nico Roets.

John Mill

Jun 2, 2021, 4:49:30 PM6/2/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Looks good & of course have subscribed

Was thinking you look older than when we last met (Dunsfold or Billing?) then thought it must have been circa 10-15 years ago.

Awaiting your next clip

On Mon, 31 May 2021 at 11:36, roaming yak <roami...@gmail.com> wrote:

rgrds  John

" LandRover owner - the car in front is my crumple zone....."

"While money can't buy happiness, it can buy cars, high-end electronics and the love of a honey-skinned dancer you met in Madrid "

"If you are a victim of crime anywhere in this country, you are in it alone and undefended.
Call for the Police, call for a home delivery pizza - see which arrives first."

"Home is where the oil stain on your dining table is either EP90 or Youngs 303 but most likely both . . ."

Merwe Erasmus

Jun 3, 2021, 2:31:38 AM6/3/21
to overland-forum
Subscribed to your channel, looking forward to see your view of Africa.

--
Merwe Erasmus

Jean Struweg

Jun 3, 2021, 4:21:59 AM6/3/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Great stuff! Duly subscribed and waiting for the rest.

Cheers

Jean

Brian

Jun 3, 2021, 12:47:43 PM6/3/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Excellent, keep it up J

Regards,

Brian McMahon

br...@bdmc.co.za

+27 82 652-0101

Jun 16, 2021, 8:36:33 AM6/16/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
For those interested but not yet subscribed, my first film is now up:

Cheers,
Darrin

Francois Visagie

Jun 16, 2021, 11:54:11 AM6/16/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Nice!

François Visagie

Mobile  +44 (7624) 321682

Email      francois...@gmail.com

image001.png
image002.png

Bruce Turner

Jun 17, 2021, 1:28:48 AM6/17/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Awesome Darren. Now hurry up with the next episode please. :)

To everyone else who has watched, there are 127 view but only 24 likes. Even if you didn’t like it, click on the like button. It will help Darren become more discoverable.

Rgds
BruceT

Jeff Morris

Jun 17, 2021, 3:04:46 AM6/17/21
to overland-forum
Well done! A really professional job. Superb photography, good story and hours and hours of editing. Good sound track too. Keep going.

This is not a criticism but a comment. How difficult it is to make what is a steep descent look steep through the lens of a camera inside a vehicle. Angles get flattened out. I don't have the answer.

Francois Visagie

Jun 17, 2021, 6:49:38 AM6/17/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

How difficult it is to make what is a steep descent look steep through the lens of a camera inside a vehicle.

What helps is to include in the shot some feature that gives perspective. Tree trunks showing the true angle of the track, or adjacent geographical features showing the true horizon, etc. E.g. a shot of a straight track directly out in front will be recognised as a dangerously steep downhill if it also shows another vehicle’s roof seen from above on the valley floor down below.

Not always possible and takes some planning/luck, and difficult if the camera operator is also the driver. ;-)

Would love to hear other ideas.

François Visagie

Mobile  +44 (7624) 321682

Email      francois...@gmail.com

image001.png
image002.png

roaming yak

Jun 17, 2021, 11:16:08 AM6/17/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Bruce and Jeff, glad you enjoyed it so far. They will become more 'in the bush/on the road soon'.
It's a been lot of money and effort, but an interesting way to spend time for me at least... and I'm sure for most of you interesting to see familiar places through other eyes.

As mentioned, if you subscribe, like and comment a video, it flags to the youtube algorithm that you found it interesting, the more people that do this, the more likely the algorithm is to begin to suggest it to more and more people. So whenever somebody has made something interesting that has given you a few minutes of interest or taught you something hit the like button to help them out a fraction ;)

Regarding gradient, I just happened to grab that shot on my phone, and thought I'd throw it in as it added to the story a bit.
All you could really do is set one or two cameras up on the side of the road (wider angle shot) and level them off so they are filming showing a true horizontal and then the vehicle going up or down. If you can get a tree or something in the background that is growing straight up then that would help true show vertical to horizontal. I'm told humans are very sharp at instinctively knowing if a shot is correctly levelled or not.

swissno...@yahoo.com

Jun 25, 2021, 7:03:04 AM6/25/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

My memories of the Bosua pass came up 2013 watching the video.

Traveling with a well loaded, 30 year old Mercedes bus. with a 105 horsepower petrol ening, I had to make the last 200m in lowgear and in the revers modus. Christine had to walke ahead because of th bend at the top of the pass. But at least we made it.

Greetings

Emanuel Berger

Kirchmattstrasse 2

3422 Kirchberg

Switzerland

Mobile: +41 79 352 24 31

Home:   +41 34 445 21 51

Afrika-Blog: https://africanomads.wordpress.com

Jean Struweg

Oct 3, 2021, 11:46:34 AM10/3/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hi Darrin

I am battling to find your channel, is the project still going?

Curious to see what you’ve been up to.

Cheers

Jean

Sent from my iPhone

John Mill

Oct 4, 2021, 3:23:39 AM10/4/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
https://www.youtube.com/c/roamingyak/featured

339 subscribers but no content though

Eben Henning

Oct 4, 2021, 3:54:16 AM10/4/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Helo John Mill.....
Same John Mill as below ..... ?

66fl12_16.jpg

Jean Struweg

Oct 4, 2021, 6:31:29 AM10/4/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I am one of those subscribers 😀

There was content a while back, but now nothing.

Cheers

Peter Levey

Oct 4, 2021, 7:59:55 AM10/4/21
to Overland-forum
Darren did post that he was stopping and would not be doing it anymore.

Peter Levey

Mike Nieuwoudt

Oct 4, 2021, 8:40:52 AM10/4/21
to overland-forum
Strange, but then he always came over a bit weird?

John Mill

Oct 4, 2021, 9:48:03 AM10/4/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
/ Same John Mill as below .... /

That's James Ferguson (active on UK list)

I took the picture tho'

That was when we went (to Brighton?) to look at the truck for you.

Jean Struweg

Oct 4, 2021, 11:23:59 AM10/4/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Peter, missed the post.

Pitty though.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone

On 04 Oct 2021, at 15:48, John Mill <john....@gmail.com> wrote:

/ Same John Mill as below .... /

That's James Ferguson (active on UK list)

I took the picture tho'

That was when we went (to Brighton?) to look at the truck for you.

On Mon, 4 Oct 2021 at 09:54, Eben Henning <cust...@gmail.com> wrote:
Helo John Mill.....
Same John Mill as below ..... ?

<66fl12_16.jpg>

John Mill

Oct 4, 2021, 12:57:59 PM10/4/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Peter - also missed that post and cannot find it. Did he say why?

Also feel it is a shame as it would have been interesting to see how his videos changed as he did more of them.

Eben Henning

Oct 5, 2021, 2:07:58 AM10/5/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
It was in Essex IIRC.

Was a good buy for an ebay deal and great help from the za-lro list   :-)

EbenH.

Peter Levey

Oct 5, 2021, 3:37:04 AM10/5/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
The post was on YouTube comments iirc. Something on the lines of the huge amount of work for the results he was getting.

Peter

--
Peter Levey

Merwe Erasmus

Oct 5, 2021, 3:51:18 AM10/5/21
to overland-forum
The Southern African overlanding Youtube space is a crowded market, you really have to present something special to stand out from the rest of the contenders. I thought Darren (sp?) was far better than the average in terms of content and technical video and audio quality. It takes time to get followers and build up a market, perhaps he threw in the towel too early. Come back Darren, all is forgiven.

--
Merwe Erasmus

Merwe Erasmus

Oct 5, 2021, 3:52:23 AM10/5/21
to overland-forum
Sorry, I see it is Darrin.
--
Merwe Erasmus

Bruce Turner

Oct 5, 2021, 4:10:34 AM10/5/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
100% agree with this especially if you looking at making money out of it. Some just do it for fun and a different way to store memories with the hope others may enjoy it too.

Rgds
BruceT

swissno...@yahoo.com

Oct 5, 2021, 6:19:44 AM10/5/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Darren told me, that he deleted the films because of his new job. He was afraid this could give him troubles. This sounds a bit strange tom me, but it’s his choice.

Greetings

Emanuel Berger

Kirchmattstrasse 2

3422 Kirchberg

Switzerland

Mobile: +41 79 352 24 31

Home:   +41 34 445 21 51

roaming yak

Oct 7, 2021, 9:52:09 AM10/7/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Glad I came over a bit weird ;)

I loved filming and starting to edit the films, no aspirations of making a living from it, release it takes a lot of social media promotion and time to build up a following.
But removed for now due to the nature of the role I'm working in.

Maybe pick it up another day hopefully, it was fun....