Mupungubwe

Bruce Turner

Jun 15, 2021, 3:07:10 PM6/15/21
to overland-forum
Hi All,

Hope everyone is keeping healthy!

We are planning a trip to Mupungubwe in a few weeks time.

Which is the best route to take?

I’ve heard rumours the Alldays route is very bad and it would be better to go via Messina

Can anyone confirm please?

Thank you
Rgds
BruceT

Mike Slater

Jun 16, 2021, 12:18:28 AM6/16/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Read recently somewhere - maybe T4A - that Musina - Mapungubwe (Pont Drift) is very bad.

Maybe ask Mopane Bush Lodge as they are on that road.

"Alla fin del gioco tanto va nel sacco il Re quanto la pedina."

Best wishes

Mike Slater

Join me in amazing Mozambique:
http://www.mozguide.com/index.php/about/about/custom-trips-and-tours

Bruce Turner

Hennie Rautenbach

Jun 16, 2021, 4:20:15 AM6/16/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Road was fucked in either direction...

Bruce Turner

Jun 16, 2021, 4:46:05 AM6/16/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Joao Felizardo

Jun 16, 2021, 5:34:45 AM6/16/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
For many years we use to drive past alldays during the hunting season ; the roads were ok ; have not been there now for the last 16/17 years ; so dont know what happened to the roads or is it the roads and /or something else ?

Bruce Turner

Jun 16, 2021, 8:18:10 AM6/16/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

The road north of Alldays resembles the En1 in Mozambique in the early to mid 90’s, in some sections. The road past Blouberg Nature reserve is not much better with many sections needing to be driven on the sides/verge rather than on the little tar that is left. Exactly as we used to in Moz.

I was hoping to go via Messina if the road was better.

Never did I ever think SA roads would deteriorate as they have.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Rgds
BruceT

1bostoe

Jun 17, 2021, 1:31:09 AM6/17/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
I spent two months at Mapungupwe in 1992 when it was still called the Vhembe Nature reserve, it was our Army company;s HQ then I had a company of men patrolling the then kaftan fence.
While we were at Vhembe the army was clearing the place as it was handed over to SANparks a month after we had left.
The road from Messina to Pontdrif was then brandspanking new.
I have not been there since Mapungupwe was built.
The sunsets from the hill overlooking the Shashe river were spectacular though, and had quite a few sundowner braai's there.

Neels

Bruce Turner

Jun 17, 2021, 1:43:06 AM6/17/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Neels.

Its been a few years since I was also there and I believe they have built a restaurant and museum there since. On my last visit we found the old army base which was basically a bunch of ruins then.

Will try find it again, I remember more or less where it was, and I will take a few pictures and share them here if there is interest.

Rgds
BruceT

Marty Jasper

Jun 17, 2021, 2:01:03 AM6/17/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Doing the Tour de Tuli backup support with the LROCSA, we go to Mapugubwe annually, I've been since 2010, but with the tour cancelled in 2020 due to COVID-19, I was last there in July 2019. I didn’t respond to this post earlier, because I thought you were looking for feedback from someone who's travelled to Mapungubwe in 2021.....but I don't think that it'd have changed that much.... Sections of the road are badly potholed especially leading up to PontDrift.

Thanx
Marty Jasper
Sent from my iPhone

On 17 Jun 2021, at 07:48, Bruce Turner <bjtu...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thank you Neels.

Neale Penman

Jun 17, 2021, 2:29:30 AM6/17/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
In the spirit of reading a book linked to the area you're travelling in,
try "Death on the Limpopo" by Sally Andrew.

Its the third book in her Tannie Maria series and its fast becoming a
South African classic. Takes a while to get to Mapungubwe though and not
everyone on this list will agree with her politics.

Cheers

Neale

Joao Felizardo

Jun 17, 2021, 3:14:03 AM6/17/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Thks for the info ;Bruce T ; moz En1 not too bad up to inhassoro then terrible up to the zambezi ; then good in parts ; a mix salad ....; in 2019 we did ponta to cuamba then marangira all the way up to the mariri concession , camped right on the lugenda river bank then all the way to pemba via montepuez ; then way down to nampula , gorongosa and back to ponta ; over 7000km's inside moz ; some roads near cuamba are attrocious then all of a sudden a perfect piece of tar ???? crazy !
As to the park we have never been to the park ; We have booked for zimbabwe matopo, great zimbabwe and gona rezhou for 2022 and if all goes well will come back to SA via beit bridge ; then an opportunity to visit the park ; hoping that the new bridge at gazankula diverts the heavy traffic from beit bridge ....and hopefully we get less congestion .
rgds , Joao Felizardo

et...@yebo.co.za

Jun 17, 2021, 8:25:35 AM6/17/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Interesting to me is Hennie started this site years ago for overlanding over roads not accessible to the regular public.  There is still a page on the site for broken down and disused graders and the such (esp Bots) to remind us why the roads are in the state found.  Maybe Hennie needs to have a separate page for South African conditions of roads used to get to wildlife destinations to remind us all why we all love 4x4’s.

Henry Townsend