The Itch

Sean Steyn

Jun 15, 2021, 4:23:31 PM6/15/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Anyone travelled across Africa to Europe lately?
Is it still practical?

Asking for a friend.
Sean

roaming yak

Jun 16, 2021, 7:37:30 AM6/16/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
If your happy getting locked down in a random country for months on end then it might be possible...
That would be the major hurdle, everything changes from week to week.

Angola is a now go at the moment I believe, so unless you do Zambia to DRC (highly not recommended) then your tuck with the east coast route - I believe you can make it up to Kenya from SA without too much hassle - just a Covid test before some of the border crossings...
Not sure about the countries above, however...

The EU is not giving out Shengen visa's at the moment, so depends on what passport your on....

Bruce Turner

Jun 16, 2021, 8:23:59 AM6/16/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Many countries are experiencing unrest and covid shut downs restricting travellers I believe so it won’t be easy and you have a good chance of getting stuck or worse.

I have the same itch and the EU is looking more and more attractive daily, so what I looked at is putting the Landy on a Ferry type ship from Namibia which then drops it off in Morocco or across the Med in Europe at various different ports. I believe you can either stay on the ship as a passenger or fly and meet the ship at your chosen destination.

This option is probably what we would consider should the itch become reality in the next 3 to 5 years.

Rgds
BruceT

Sean Steyn

Jun 16, 2021, 2:22:51 PM6/16/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Sage advice Bruce and Yak,

My friend says..
“I am considering riding to Kenya, then shipping the bike to the UK from there. Or just canning the “Last bit Africa Adventure“ and shipping it straight to the UK.
Selling the bike is also an option.”

Any wisdom relating to exporting a bike to the UK?

Gregg Howard

Jun 21, 2021, 5:01:10 AM6/21/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hello Sean,

I know of two sets of travelers that are trying and have given up for the time being.  From what I understand one cannot get into Ethiopia.

gregg

Sean Steyn

Jun 21, 2021, 8:15:53 AM6/21/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Gregg,
I gave up at the thoughts of Covid related bureaucracy.

Renzo Blasa

Jun 24, 2021, 12:07:02 PM6/24/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Probably to do with the fighting in the Tigray region? Major drama unfolding there, with reportedly 350 000 people facing famine.

swissno...@yahoo.com

Jul 3, 2021, 10:32:06 AM7/3/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Bruce

AFAIK there is no Ferry/RoRo leaving Namibia to the north, only container ships. Morocco harbours might be a big hassle, better ship to Portugal or Spain. Spain to Morocco by Ferry is easy.

All this only after the Covid Lockdowns.

Greetings

Emanuel Berger

Kirchmattstrasse 2

3422 Kirchberg