Land Rover Nostalgia

Hennie Rautenbach

Jul 6, 2021, 1:54:15 AM7/6/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Very nice !

Thanks for sharing Hippy Squared...

et...@yebo.co.za

Jul 6, 2021, 2:01:12 AM7/6/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Agreed

Henry Townsend

Joao Felizardo

Jul 6, 2021, 4:25:44 AM7/6/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Some nice photos of old land rovers ; i sat as a kid in some of those - short wheel base with the spare wheel on the bonnet ; from mapai rio- ngala we use to be driven by the adults go to the catholic mission ; or the airfield or even to pafuri then cross the border and have a picnic at punda milia in the knp ; come back to pafuri and mapai rio -ngala the same day .
 I remember once in a trip to the knp we (the kids)even sat in the back of the load box which was closed with a heavy canvas. Good old days of 1964/65 ...;there were a few of these land rovers coming and going through mapai rio- ngala ; then eventually years later a toyota bakkie came along with the man in charge of wenela .
Rgds .

Bertus Bekker

Jul 6, 2021, 4:53:16 AM7/6/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Mooi lorries

Mike

Jul 6, 2021, 5:02:30 AM7/6/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

I also had the same experience as Joao – with my uncle on his farm near Nyamandhlovu (Near Bulawayo in S Rhodesia). Only we drove to Umguza river on the Vic falls road.

Mike

Sean Steyn

Jul 6, 2021, 8:42:38 AM7/6/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Neat!

Joao Felizardo

Jul 6, 2021, 9:04:59 AM7/6/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Actually I forgot to mention that my Dad had one -  colour grey as I can recall  ; my Dad  worked for the water scheme company at guija at the head quarters as a bookkeeper ; he got a family house and  the land rover as a company vehicle for his trips across the district ;we lived in guija from 1956 till 1961 ; the other landrovers i referred to  i remember from my trips to mapai rio -ngala when i started visiting during school holidays since the  age of  10/11 in 1964/5 .

Stuart Carliell

Jul 6, 2021, 2:54:40 PM7/6/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
It’s a pleasure Hennie.

In a weird and sad way, it’s interesting you picked up on that today, during the course of our service/ day of indulgence at Karoo 2.25 we got talking about old landies and our wonderful experience at Johan Strauss in Namibia come up. It turned out they were in the process of buying many of his old relics for restoration.

Learning the sad news of Johan and his wife’s passing from Covid this week, I can think of no better place to honor his memory by restoring his old beauties.

Cheers,
Stuart

On Tue, 06 Jul 2021 at 07:54, Hennie Rautenbach <hennie.r...@gmail.com> wrote:

Peter Levey

Jul 7, 2021, 2:53:08 AM7/7/21
to Overland-forum
Some real beauts in that lot
Peter Levey

roaming yak

Jul 7, 2021, 3:44:00 AM7/7/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
When I was there last year getting my transfer box fixed, it was fascinating to see a life's work and collection on display in the lovely light of that area. I asked if I could stay on and film and photo the farm ‘because its really beautiful”.

Great people and a fascinating challenge to try and capture it all and show others in an interesting way. I ended up staying an extra 6 days attempting to do so.  It held not just beauty but a power of time, of dedication on a working farm. Plus they kept feeding me.

It was mentioned that there was a spitting cobra that lived in amongst the Landy bits stored but Johannes cheerfully informed me”its actually quite hard to get bitten by a snake”.

I recorded 1400 video shots and 450 photos, I’ll try to do things justice when I get the chance.

Steinfeld.png